TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Plug-in Car Grant: Will it still be available for Model 3?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Two9A, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Two9A

Two9A Member

So the Wikipedia page for the PICG states:
    Now, the model 3 is slated for initial release (of high-end models to Tesla employees on the US West Coast) at the end of 2017... I seriously doubt the UK will see any 3's before the March 2018 date passes.

Is there a chance, do you think, of the PICG being extended again past 2018? Or are we just out of luck, and will be stuck paying full price for a 3?

2. Big24fan

Big24fan Member

That's a question I was wondering too. Let me know what u find out.

3. PeteW

PeteW Member

I looked into this and it's looking unlikely...

"[The Office for Low Emission Vehicles] has said that the grant will be maintained under the new regime until March 2017 (contrary to the Government’s initial announcement of 2018), or until 40,000 sales of category 1 vehicles, and 45,000 combined sales of categories 2 and 3, with both totals including vehicles registered under the existing regime.

As of [Dec 2015] 23,000 claims had been submitted for category 1 vehicles and 28,000 for categories 2 and 3 – 51,000 in total, of which half were made in 2015 alone".

Source: http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2016/01/10/plug-in-c...

So it looks very unlikely it'll still be around in 2018, unless the government extends it - and the tories have already shown they have no interest in environmental issues or electric cars.

4. Road runner

Road runner New Member

So assuming the $35,000 price tag holds for UK deliveries and assuming the current exchange rate (0.7) plus import tax, are we looking at a UK Model 3 base price of $35,000 * 0.7 = £24,500 // so including import tax can we expect the base model to start at ~£30,000 ?

5. EV Guy

EV Guy Member

It may be gone we just don't know. I think it certainly won't be around for PHEV's as air quality is going to be a major push going forward. Any fossil fuel burning car will see increased taxation.

6. PeteW

PeteW Member

Having looked into it, the government guidance has been updated and is pretty clear - the grant ends no later than March 2017:

"5.3 Future review of grant levels

The grant will be maintained at the current levels until March 2017, or until a prescribed number of each type of vehicle have been sold, whichever is sooner."

Plug-in car grant eligibility guidance - GOV.UK

So that's a pretty conclusive 'no'.