Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug in Level 1 Charging in Condo Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning for making our condo garage “EV Ready”.
Because of the building’s layout, it is impossible to connect any electrical circuits from our individual electrical meters to a charging outlet or EVSE in the garage. The garage has no outlets available currently.
The garage does have a common area electrical panel with numerous spare 20A breakers available, enough to supply each owner with an outlet. These could be used as long as the electricity was metered and owners pay for usage.
Searching the web for a level 1 solution because of the limitations of the common area electrical panel, I came across an integrated outlet made by Plugzio with metering capabilities (Plugzio | Affordable, Simple, Scalable EV Charging). This will provide all owners with an outlet for EV charging or whatever they want, and a way to meter the usage.

We are considering multiple 110V 20A Plugzio outlets to solve our garage charging issue - does anyone have any experience with this company or device?

I know that this will be slow level 1 charging, but for our charging needs and the amount of time the car stays parked in the garage, it should be sufficient.

Another solution you could look at is the "Orange Outlet", which has integrated billing and smart phone access...Looks like it would do the job for you...

You might also consider providing a smaller number of metered Level 2 EVSEs, with the intent that EV users charge less-than-daily with them. This might or might not work better than providing everybody a NEMA 5-15 outlet, depending on how your parking is laid out and what your residents' needs are. The Tesla Joy YouTube channel has posted a number of videos over the past year about efforts to get commercial Level 2 ChargePoint EVSEs installed in a condo in California. There have been bureaucratic and covid-related delays, so it's taken a while and the project isn't yet complete (or at least, if it is, she hasn't yet posted that important update). ChargePoint provides billing services, so equitable billing for electricity could be part of this approach.

Another solution you could look at is the "Orange Outlet", which has integrated billing and smart phone access...Looks like it would do the job for you...

I like this solution, gives us more options. Thanks for the info!

I was going to suggest the Orange Outlet as well, it couldn’t remember the name for it. This was recently discussed here on the forum for a similar install. Has the benefits of relatively low hardware costs and also low monthly fees, which still allowing chargebacks for the electricity consumed.

Reactions: Don.Church
Or…

Look at what you pay for power and forget the complexity and expense, just charge everyone a flat monthly fee to defray most of the cost. No special hardware, app and maintenance fees.

I would put a meter on the breaker box to keep track of the overall expense and adjust as needed. You can always go to a more complex solution later.

Or…

Look at what you pay for power and forget the complexity and expense, just charge everyone a flat monthly fee to defray most of the cost. No special hardware, app and maintenance fees.

I would put a meter on the breaker box to keep track of the overall expense and adjust as needed. You can always go to a more complex solution later.
I have helped several people with their charging in Multi-family locations, and in my experience it's very rare for an HOA or property manager to take this approach and bill a flat monthly rate for charging. I've suggested this approach and usually get waved off immediately...I do know of one apartment builder in Las Vegas that has adopted this approach and they mark up the energy a little bit (flat monthly rate) to make it worth their while for the installation and additional billing chores...

Reactions: ATPMSD
Would a whole home energy monitor with individual circuit CTs work for something like this?
Three phase:

Reactions: Genie