Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug In or Not While on Vacation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is leaving it plugged in really preferable? Wouldn't that cause it to charge at 1% intervals several times?

In my experience with my former Model S, it would top up every second day and sometimes every day. That is good. The battery is better dealing with multiple shallow discharge/charge cycles than more frequent deep discharge/charge cycles.

Charging to 100% and letting sit there is terrible for the battery.

Set charge level to 50% and plug in. Based on my experience, it will only charge again once battery drops 3% below your set level (and charges based on schedule charging).

If you know you will need to drive the day you get back, you can always use the app to charge up higher right before returning.

Now that I think about it, you can leave it plugged in and just tell the app to turn off/on as you like.

No need. The car will top up as needed. If you're worried about Time of Use electricity rates, it will respect your charge timer and only top off (if needed) during the hours you specify.

If you cant leave it plugged in what level would you charge to?

I found that as my Model S got older, the rate of self-discharge became greater. When I was away on vacation and the car was new, it would seem to top up about 2.5 kWh every other day. Later, this went up to about 3 kWh every day. When my car was 5 years old with about 100,000 miles, I would lose about 5-6% State of Charge every 24 hours.

So... I would assume at least a couple of percent lost each day and charge to a level that will leave you enough upon your return based on the length of absence.

I travel quite a bit for work and end up leaving my car plugged in at the airport (I have a solar covered spot with an outlet!). I set the charge level to 60% and like others, it only tops up every third day or so. On my return flight I'll change the charge level to 80% so its ready to go when I get back.

I rarely ever charge my car more than 80%. Even on trips I've found it has enough range to be OK since there are so many chargers in AZ/CA.

Rather than start another thread I want to piggyback on this one. Here's my situation.

I will be going away next week on an extended vacation. My Model 3 WILL NOT be used for 30 days. I plan to leave it
at my parent's house OUTSIDE in the driveway. They live less than a mile from a Supercharger. What SOC should I leave it at?
I COULD ask to park it in my parent's garage and have it connected to a standard 120V outlet, BUT both of my parent's cars are expensive cars which they OBVIOUSLY would PREFER to keep inside the garage. Additionally, my Dad is kinda crazy with energy conservation(EVERY SINGLE TV is on a power strip including the cable box and is immediately powered off when the TV is off) so I don't know how he would feel about the car being plugged in for 30 days. So BEFORE I ask my parents if I can garage the car, what's everyone's advise/opinion on what I should do if I leave it outside and if that's even advisable for this length of time.

Background. M3 Long range, 3.5 months old. 2500 miles. Parked outside in Center City Philly with no access to power. Supercharging ONLY about 1x/week to 90%SOC. Currently Phantom drain is about 3-4 miles/day.
Thanks!

BU-702

Yep - 40-50% is ideal for long-term storage for most lithium based cells.

I use a lot of lipos, particularly 18650 size which were what the Stage 1 Tesla batteries were (orig. S and Roadster) although different battery chemistry they're very similar being lithium based. The 3 uses the new Stage 3 2170 cell but the premise is the same: treat it like any other Li based cell. My batteries lasted basically forever if I didn't drop them below 3.5V, leave them sitting around fully charged or stored them at too high/low SOC. I plan to do the same with my 3 when I get it.

Rather than start another thread I want to piggyback on this one. Here's my situation.

I will be going away next week on an extended vacation. My Model 3 WILL NOT be used for 30 days. I plan to leave it
at my parent's house OUTSIDE in the driveway. They live less than a mile from a Supercharger. What SOC should I leave it at?
I COULD ask to park it in my parent's garage and have it connected to a standard 120V outlet, BUT both of my parent's cars are expensive cars which they OBVIOUSLY would PREFER to keep inside the garage. Additionally, my Dad is kinda crazy with energy conservation(EVERY SINGLE TV is on a power strip including the cable box and is immediately powered off when the TV is off) so I don't know how he would feel about the car being plugged in for 30 days. So BEFORE I ask my parents if I can garage the car, what's everyone's advise/opinion on what I should do if I leave it outside and if that's even advisable for this length of time.

Background. M3 Long range, 3.5 months old. 2500 miles. Parked outside in Center City Philly with no access to power. Supercharging ONLY about 1x/week to 90%SOC. Currently Phantom drain is about 3-4 miles/day.
Thanks!
You don't have any friends that could garage your car for a month?