Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-In Vehicle Charging Pilot Open to qualified Pepco residential Maryland customers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had to give up our EV Pilot program through Dominion in Virginia when we got our solar system. This was a great plan with rates around 5c/kWh in the deep night. Unfortunately, state regs would not allow participation in EV plan AND net metering so we had to switch back to a standard rate plan in order to get credit for our solar generation. Seems odd since it's still a good thing for the grid to charge the EV off peak regardless of solar generation.

Pepco has modified the program, net metering can participate now.

Thanks for this! Here's an FAQ link for interested parties. Some random things I noticed:

"Net energy meter customers (NEM) or energy generating customers interconnected to Pepco are eligible to apply for the PIV rate only." I'm curious just how the rates compare.

Hmm: "The distance from the second meter and the EVSE location does not exceed a 100 feet cable run." Since they add the second meter, I'm not sure how this works. For example, can they simply put it within 100 feet if they choose, or does it have to be by the other ones? I believe our regular meter is nowhere near the garage, where our HPWC is. ;-(

"The customer agrees to allow Pepco to manage the charger, as well as gather charging information for data collection." I'm not sure what they mean by "manage the charger" (it's already mine; they wouldn't be installing one). It probably applies to EVSEs they install.

NOTE: The plug-in rate is only available to the first 250 customers. Also, "Enrollment for the PIV Rate will end as soon as there are 200 customers in the program, or by August 31, 2014,whichever comes first." Maybe that only applies to those getting an EVSE from Pepco? Otherwise, the numbers don't match up.... Anyway, no idea if it's still possible to get the PIV rate only (I have an HPWC already).

I've used their contact form (no time to call right now, and I don't want to forget later) to ask if it's still open, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. I found the PEPCO information. I must admit that I'm embarrassed that i cannot follow all the mumbo jumbo. Bottom line: I use a NEMA 14-50 to charge my P85. Will i qualify for the program or does PEPCO have to install an EVSE that I don't need to be eligible for the program?

P.S. I wasn't clear on this from the FAQ.

The pilot has been reopened. Net metering is not an obstacle. Also, you will not be required to install an EVSE. I have a NEMA 14-50 and they simply came out and inspected the installation to make sure it was ok. They are going to secure the the UMC meaning that i will not be able to unplug it unless i need to have it inspected or replaced. For me, that's a small inconvenience. Looks like i'll be paying between 6 and 8 cents all-inclusive to charge Tess-E off peak. I currently pay 11 cents.

Is there anybody on here that is still in this program? Have the rates changed considerably since you joined? I'm looking into understanding this enough to be able to make an informed decision about joining. The Pepco site is awful and provides no real insight into the rate I would be charged if I add an additional meter to the HPWC outlet.

Any insights are appreciated.

I emailed them and they were very responsive - I was told that ONLY their level 2 charger would qualify and not my 14-50 outlet for the separate metering, but they put me on a different rate plan where I get the discount at night now - not sure of the savings yet.

Email them - I did not ask about HPWC - very knowledgeable and helpful.

I have been looking at Solar City but, ironically, their KWH rate was HIGHER that Pepco's (.11 vs .0925).

I emailed them and they were very responsive - I was told that ONLY their level 2 charger would qualify and not my 14-50 outlet for the separate metering, but they put me on a different rate plan where I get the discount at night now - not sure of the savings yet.

Email them - I did not ask about HPWC - very knowledgeable and helpful.

I have been looking at Solar City but, ironically, their KWH rate was HIGHER that Pepco's (.11 vs .0925).

So they just gave you a discounted rate for evenings (after 8:00)? Does it include weekends? Did they bump up the daytime rate?

Incase anyone else is trying to get into this before they close the program in 30 days here is some info I have.

Extra meter and disconnect was installed for my HPWC and was run for 80A charging (100A).

The rates are located here http://www.pepco.com/uploadedFiles/www.pepco.com/Pages/my-home/choices-and-rates/Maryland/Pepco%20MD_Rate%20Schedules_08.31.2015.pdf and listed under the PIV rate on page 64 of the document. The gist is that the generation fees run about $.03X per kwh off peak, and ~$0.14 on peak (which is above the normal rate). On peak is M-F 12pm to 8 pm.

Peter

but the gist