TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plug type

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by kbekaert, Feb 24, 2014.

1. kbekaert

kbekaert EU P360 vin 17969

Do you already know what kind of charge plug you will get in HK / China? US (Tesla) or EU (type2) style?
    I believe that China is promoting a type2 lookalike.

2. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

As far as I know, there is already a good mix of different standards in Hong Kong. Most of them are very weak charging stations, but since it is expensive to park in Hong Kong - if I had a shopping mall with charging stations, I would make sure people get a good charge while they are here. Go and spend money on shopping and dining, then come back to a fully charged car.

We are yet to see where superchargers will be installed in Hong Kong. Because of real estate cost, and it's limited nature, I think most superchargers will be installed in shopping malls, joint sponsored by Tesla and that shopping mall in question. If you have enough money to buy a Tesla model S, you probably have enough money to spend some in the shopping mall as well. I can even see mainland Chinese coming to Hong Kong, in their Tesla model S cars - shop for a day, and charge in the mall and be able to leave HK with a full charge.

Chademo and wall charger are extra. Out of over 1000 charging points in Hong Kong, less than 10 are Chademo (as far as I know), and some of them in restricted parking lots. As it looks right now, I haven't planned to buy any extra adapters, waiting to see what will be possible for me.

3. CCT

CCT Member

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

The /en_HK/ pages at Teslamotors.com are missing the details like the "Charging" page like US and UK so it's not at all obvious which inlet HK cars will get. The only hint is that the Specs page does not mention 3-phase with respect to the chargers, so it may likely be the US Tesla inlet. So, this begs the question: Does HK have the round commercial Red and Blue sockets like UK for higher power utility connections? I've only seen the 13A UK style sockets in hotel and residential settings.

5. kbekaert

kbekaert EU P360 vin 17969

6. CCT

CCT Member

Most of the HK population live in apartment buildings and most of the buildings are supplied with 3-phase 220/380V electricity.

7. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

So I believe HK Model S is RHD with EU style Mennekes type 2 vehicle connector, and in HK BF type 220V outlets are common. Thus IMO Tesla will release 220V BF adapter for UMC.

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

In general, single unit homes and businesses get 3 phase 220V power. Current limit depends on age of building, but is general from 3x60A up to 3x200A standard, and more if you need it.

Apartments flats are either single or 3 phase 220V, usually at 60A. But, not relevant to EV charging.

9. miimura

miimura Active Member

So, it seems the UK spec Charging and Adapters are the most suitable for HK. Are the IEC Blue (220V 32A 1ph) and IEC Red (220V 16A 3ph) connectors the ones that are commonly used in HK for higher power plug-in loads?

10. CCT

CCT Member

Sorry, can someone give me a 101 on this voltage/current/phase thing...so is [email protected] Single Phase quicker to charge or [email protected] 3-Phase quicker?

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

at the same current and voltage, 3 phase is 3 times quicker. Check the link posted by miiamura: Tesla provides a table with charging speeds there. Click on "adapter guide".

12. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Verbally confirmed to me today.

HK Model S will come with Mennekes type 2 - same as Europe. Then, a portable charger cable with 13A and 32A adaptors (both single phase).

13. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

#13 Lerxt, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    I wonder if local electricians are familiar with this plug type. I also wonder when Tesla HK will give us written confirmation so we can get our charge points installed?

14. waidy

waidy Member

For single phase, watts=volt*amps.
    For three-phase you must use the voltage between the phases and multiply by the root of 3, or use the voltage between phase & neutral and multiply by 3. For example: 63A 400V three-phase = (63A*400V*SQ(3)) =43.6kW. A 400V system has 400V between the phases and 230V phase to neutral.

Three Phase information see: The 3 Phase Power Resource Site - Three Phase Power Solutions
    Three Phase calculation http://www.elec-toolbox.com/Formulas/Useful/formulas.htm

15. CCT

CCT Member

Thanks a lot for the info, waidy! Just what I wanted.