Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged in all the time…..Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got our Tesla Y last week. My question, which has probably been asked and answered hundreds of times, is since our Tesla is parked outside (no garage) next to our house most days and every night, should I really keep it plugged into our NEMA 14-50 receptacle ALL the time, or just when it needs charging? Thanks you for your advice. AJK

I only plug it in at night and schedule charging when rates are lowest. I don’t plug it in everyday unless I’ve used at least 10-15% battery. I keep it garaged though.

If parked outside then I would plug it in every night because being exposed to elements and cold weather reduces SoC.

All the time is best if you can, but it's not a big deal if not.
Unplug when it makes sense, like a river of rainwater pouring over the sockets, or the cord is a tripping hazard.
I haven't plugged in for two weeks because I would have to shuffle cars around to move the Tesla into the garage and that more trouble than it's worth to me right now.
I am starting a big road trip on Monday, though, and I have only a standard wall outlet for charging, so thanks for the reminder.
Welcome to the forums!

Just got our Tesla Y last week. My question, which has probably been asked and answered hundreds of times, is since our Tesla is parked outside (no garage) next to our house most days and every night, should I really keep it plugged into our NEMA 14-50 receptacle ALL the time, or just when it needs charging? Thanks you for your advice. AJK
It doesn't matter.

It's more important that you keep the battery in the midpoint of its charge. The battery longevity is maximized if the charge is kept between 30 and 90%. Ideal is probably 60-70%, but the improvement is so minor that it's difficult to measure. Minimize the time with the battery below about 20% or above 90%. That usually means charging to 100% only immediately before a long trip, and when you return.

If you pre-heat, or the temperature will be so cold that the heat pump will run to keep the battery warm, it's best to leave it plugged in to reduce battery cycling.

The rules will be different with the short-range LFP battery. That should be charged to 100% and left plugged in during cold weather to keep it warm.

Tesla recommends keeping the Tesla vehicle plugged in when parked at home. This does not account for how much daily driving you do. You don't need to keep the Tesla Model Y plugged in if every other day, etc. meets your needs. It is a good idea to unplug, not charge during an electrical storm or if such storms are nearby or in the short term forecast.

You can set the daily charging limit up to 90%; many owners prefer a lower daily charging limit <=80%. If this enables you to complete your daily drive, errands etc. then find a daily charging level that works for you. You can charge whenever it is convenient but don't regularly discharge the battery below 20% unless on a trip with no Supercharger station nearby. Don't leave yourself with a low battery charge knowing that you will need XX hours to charge the battery to your normal daily charge level or if taking a trip.

Set Sentry Mode to be Off at your home location as leaving Sentry mode active (also the FSD Summon standby setting) causes the Tesla Model Y to remain awake, not enter sleep mode. The Tesla Model Y uses much more idling power (almost 10X as much power when awake as when asleep, i.e 25W when asleep versus ~230W when awake)

If you are using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector to charge know that the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not designed for a high number of repetitive plug and unplug operations. It is best to leave the Mobile Connector 14-50 power plug adapter plugged in if possible. Also, don't let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by the power plug and the receptacle as these are not designed to support the additional weight of the Mobile Connector.

• Informative
Reactions: chand and Mike_TV
I have your same situation and only plug in when I’m low on charge, maybe once a week. I do leave it plugged in all night when I do so, if possible, so the batteries can rebalance or whatever It is they do. I haven’t noticed any battery degradation from this beyond the normal initial decline of a few percent when the car is new. I wouldn’t worry, myself.

The owner's manual is so clear on this topic: leave it plugged in. Full stop.

I always wonder why all the debate about this? The manufacturer says to leave it plugged in. Who can say (with a straight face) that THEY know more than Telsa's engineers about how to maintain battery health?

Below is from the MY Owner's Manual

About the Battery

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks. When plugged in, Model Y wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

I always wonder why all the debate about this? The manufacturer says to leave it plugged in. Who can say (with a straight face) that THEY know more than Telsa's engineers about how to maintain battery health?

Below is from the MY Owner's Manual
I'm 100% with you. There's nothing to debate but people do it anyway. The manual says to keep it plugged in so that's what I do. I don't even think twice about it.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
It is a car, not a patient on life support. The Tesla vehicle will be fine if you plug in to charge whenever it is convenient. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual makes no mention of the risk of charging during an electrical storm (a fairly common occurrence). You would be wise to unplug, never charge during an electrical storm. Just search YouTube for examples of plug-in vehicles that were severely damaged, even totaled as a result of damage to the vehicle's electrical system from lightning. It is rare but it can and does happen.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Others have answered this question - so I'll just throw out another plug for the Owner's Manual. It is really worth it to download it onto your computer as a PDF and try and rea through it when you have a break in work or your day. It's more important than with a new ICE car. I've read through it several times and I learn something new almost every time (especially important when they update it as, unfortunately, they don't indicate what's new in each version....).

It is a car, not a patient on life support. The Tesla vehicle will be fine if you plug in to charge whenever it is convenient. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual makes no mention of the risk of charging during an electrical storm (a fairly common occurrence). You would be wise to unplug, never charge during an electrical storm. Just search YouTube for examples of plug-in vehicles that were severely damaged, even totaled as a result of damage to the vehicle's electrical system from lightning. It is rare but it can and does happen.
I’m right with you. Charge it when it’s low. No need to obsess over keeping it plugged in all the time.

It you were limited to a standard 110v outlet I could see keeping it plugged in because any driving you do would take hours to replenish. But if you have a level 2 charger at home, just charge it when it needs it and leave it alone when it doesn’t.

I'm a little surprised at you, @jcanoe, at spreading FUD like this. You're usually spot-on with your comments. It's perfectly safe to charge an EV in an electrical storm. Yes, it doesn't hurt to unplug it, but it's unnecessary, occasional YouTube videos to the contrary.

I'm a little surprised at you, @jcanoe, at spreading FUD like this. You're usually spot-on with your comments. It's perfectly safe to charge an EV in an electrical storm. Yes, it doesn't hurt to unplug it, but it's unnecessary, occasional YouTube videos to the contrary.
I definitely wouldn’t charge in an electrical storm. Especially if you didn’t have a whole house surge protector installed at your main panel. Lightning strikes are no joke.

Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe

Not really arguing with you - and the point you make is well taken ... RTFM and then follow it

However (you knew this was coming right?) perhaps they mean leave it plugged in so that things like charge top-ups can happen when necessary, although they might only happen once every three or four days if the vehicle wasn't driven. How would you write a manual for that situation?

It's a little like kosher food rules: only contaminated pork is bad for you, but you have to make the rule that all pork is bad otherwise people would make up their own rules what constitutes "contaminated" and it would very quickly get out of hand

I have to admit that I don't plug it in and out as I go throughout my day. I plug it in every night after walking the dog and unplug it the first time I drive it the next day. I suspect the wear and tear of plugging/unplugging throughout the course of the day is probably worse than not having it plugged in constantly, especially when I don't start charging until 10:30 pm.

Reactions: Rocky_H