Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged in bacon strips to charge? (Even if climate control is off?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping this is an easy answer:

Saw orange bacon strips on the app next to the battery icon, while it’s plugged in. Car has been plugged in for last 3 days in the garage and already hit the 80% charge two nights ago.

No cabin climate controls/seat warmers are on and no trip pre conditioning turned on. Car is sitting in garage where it’s ~36F.

What are the bacon strips for and why does it show it’ll take 25 minutes to charge presumably 1%? If heating up the battery, curious why it’ll heat it up if I haven’t indicated I’ll be driving it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 46605B8D-5608-4C82-81AC-714F38AF77A3.png
    46605B8D-5608-4C82-81AC-714F38AF77A3.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 374
Reactions: DXBM3P
Hoping this is an easy answer:

Saw orange bacon strips on the app next to the battery icon, while it’s plugged in. Car has been plugged in for last 3 days in the garage and already hit the 80% charge two nights ago.

No cabin climate controls/seat warmers are on and no trip pre conditioning turned on. Car is sitting in garage where it’s ~36F.

What are the bacon strips for and why does it show it’ll take 25 minutes to charge presumably 1%? If heating up the battery, curious why it’ll heat it up if I haven’t indicated I’ll be driving it.

Thanks!
It’s heating the battery before it can get to normal charging rate. It’s why I don’t constantly let the car top off. It will use more energy warming the battery than it will put in.

Reactions: Big Earl
It’s heating the battery before it can get to normal charging rate. It’s why I don’t constantly let the car top off. It will use more energy warming the battery than it will put in.
Interesting, this suggests that if I were to go on vacation and keep this plugged in, every night it’ll draw energy to heat the battery up to charge 1-2%. Electricity costs aside, is this even good for the battery? (Constant heating and discharge to heat)

Tesla recommends keeping the car plugged in but didn’t realize it would be going through these cycles.

Interesting, this suggests that if I were to go on vacation and keep this plugged in, every night it’ll draw energy to heat the battery up to charge 1-2%. Electricity costs aside, is this even good for the battery? (Constant heating and discharge to heat)

Tesla recommends keeping the car plugged in but didn’t realize it would be going through these cycles.

Curious as well.

This thread seems to indicate that there is a threshold (~3%?) that the SOC must drop before the car will kick the charger on:

• Informative
Reactions: nilesborg
The battery preconditioning generally deals with fast charging rate usually DC but can also apply to AC 11kw depending on battery temp. I dont think the battery preconditioning will start when you keep it plug it (while on vacation) into a regular outlet with the mobile connector and the battery is charged. It will simply maintain the battery level and power the systems... Especially if you set a charge limit and the battery is very close to that limit.

The battery preconditioning generally deals with fast charging rate usually DC but can also apply to AC 11kw depending on battery temp. I dont think the battery preconditioning will start when you keep it plug it (while on vacation) into a regular outlet with the mobile connector and the battery is charged. It will simply maintain the battery level and power the systems... Especially if you set a charge limit and the battery is very close to that limit.
It does not “maintain the battery level” (I.e. it does not trickle charge). As stated above it will let the battery drop 3% or so and then go into a normal charge cycle and will heat the battery as needed. Heating is not primarily for DC. There are min temps needed at any charge rate which also depends on SOC.

OP might have caught it when it had 1% left to go.