Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged In - Cooling/Heating Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many, I have my car set up to start charging overnight. My car is usually fully charged by 6am or 7am and I typically leave the house at 8am.

I have been cooling the car via the phone app for about 10-15 minutes before I leave. So, I start cooling at about 7:50am.

Does the car automatically draw energy from the HPWC just by virtue of being connected or do you have to actually be actively charging while cooling the car?

Like many, I have my car set up to start charging overnight. My car is usually fully charged by 6am or 7am and I typically leave the house at 8am.

I have been cooling the car via the phone app for about 10-15 minutes before I leave. So, I start cooling at about 7:50am.

Does the car automatically draw energy from the HPWC just by virtue of being connected or do you have to actually be actively charging while cooling the car?

If the car is plugged in and the HVAC is on, it will draw power from the wall for the HVAC, even if it's in a scheduled charging mode (just enough to match the HVAC load.)

If your departure time is consistent, you can toggle a setting to allow the car to prepare itself in advance. It'll take a couple of days of learning from my understanding, but it's dependent upon consistency. If you go to Settings/Vehicle you'll see "Smart Preconditioning" - toggle it on, and you won't have to use the app everyday to get the car to the right temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and Struja