Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged In HPWC Didn't Charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suggestions and/or solutions for this series of events that played out for me today:

85 had 63mi of range left when I parked in my garage last night. Vehicle set for scheduled charging after bedtime. Get in car this AM, still has 63mi of range, center screen is off. Attempt reboot of screen, no-go. Put car back in "P" and attempt to reboot, still no-go. Attempt to put car in "R" tells me that the car needs to activate and press brake pedal in a few min. Wait, put car in "R" to back out, mirrors do not auto extend, nor tilt, screen still black, car does not "start." I did check the HPWC and it was fine/functional, not in any error state, nor did any strange electrical occurrence happen over night.

Eventually car does start with screen still black, mirrors will extend if I press the button on the door. Continue attempts to reboot center screen while driving (I also did reboot driver screen 1 time prior to leaving my garage).

Eventually about 20min after I left my house the screen finally boots up.

This was a very frustrating turn of events and not one that I hope to repeat. Why wouldn't the car charge if the screen is out?!

Thoughts, suggestions, solutions?

Based on all you went through to get the car drivable, there was something else wrong in a big enough way to prevent it from charging. Either that, or it detected something odd/bad trying to recharge and either hard turned the car off or it crashed in a major way. I doubt the HPWC had anything to do with it. Might want to try and charge will you watch or give holler to service and see if car logs show anything...

Update: driving home yesterday screen kept rebooting... didn't have enough range to get it to the SC so went home. Plugged in and charged just fine. SC indicated car "crashed" at 2:34am Monday AM and they had no other logs since.

Appt. w/SC at 4pm today. Get in car this AM, screen crashes/reboots. Here is where it gets especially weird-

The AC was on from last night, and set to 60/full blast. The screen crashes as soon as I leave the house... now usually when the screen crashes the AC shuts off... in this case, the screen went to full crash, black, no reboot, but the AC STAYED ON at 60 and full blast (note: this would be okay except it was probably 60 outside too).

I get to work, park the car, AC still on full blast
Tried to turn it off from wheel, no go, from app, no go.
Left the car to see if it might turn off on its own... NOPE I come back out AC still full blast after 2.5hrs

Called SC, taking car at 10:30 instead of 4pm.

Strange