TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plugged into 120v and 0mi/hr in cold temp?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SamGarber, Nov 24, 2013.

1. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

bu3edura.jpg

Plugged into outlet at mall garage, looks like there's juice but no charging? Is this due to the 32f temp outside?

2. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I have had the same problem, but at 230V/13A. Typically after the battery has cold soaked for a couple of days. I have usually fixed it by preheating for a few minutes, This heats up the battery too, as long as Range Mode is not enabled. After a little battery heating, charging starts normally.

I think this is a bug, when plugged in and the battery is too cold to charge, the battery heater should start using whatever power is available from the grid. Preheating manually should not be needed and also wastes power heating the cabin. Starting just the battery heater manually is not possible as far as I know.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

0 amps...that's odd. I've seen 1 or zero MPH charge rate in really cold weather on a 120v outlet, but the amps should still read something more realistic.

4. SamGarber

Yep definitely strange. I keep checking and it seems to show 2-3A every once in a while but still 0mi/hr

5. SamGarber

It's also definitely not preventing vampire loss since it just went down one mile of range in 45 minutes.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I have this problem in my house with the 120V. I do charge daily with NEMA 14-50 socket, but for the first days before I put that in I was just using the 120V near it.

I believe the reason that I could not charge with the 120V was a matter of wiring and distance from the electrical box. If it was a straight run right from the box to the outlet, it's probably about 75ft. However I know (since I traced it before) that this run goes entirely around the perimeter of one room, plus up into the attic at one point and back down again. So it's a shared outlet that also powers some things in that one room. Honestly it probably ends up being 150+ft from box to garage outlet. In other words, the distance ends up being so long that the voltage drop is too big enough for the Model S to charge with. In fact, a warning pops up "extension cord detected" even though I'm plugged directly into the wall. (yes I tried this at night too with all the other devices on the house off just to make sure it wasn't due to a large device like a TV draining power on that shared circuit). Thats how long of a run it was. However, I was able to manually drop the amps down to 8A max, and I was able to draw about 1-2mi/hr from it.

I suspect that the outlet you plugged into likely has something similar - shared outlet and/or very long run from the electrical box. Nothing you can really do about it. You can try to drop the amps down to 7-8 and see if that works.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'll just throw it out there for consideration...

Some have suggested that engaging climate control will turn on battery heating as well. If you have some breathing room (are willing to stay there, or there's another charging location within 120mi), you could try turning the climate control on HI for a few minutes to see if that wakes up the charging to something above 0A steady.

Some have also suggested that Range Mode throttles back this heating effect, so you may want to try toggling that off during this experiment in case it matters.

8. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Depending on how cold the battery is, it can take up to four hours for the car to register higher than 0/12A, and start putting energy into the battery.

9. SamGarber

It's probably the outlet wired incorrectly or far away then. I just switched on heat and put it on max range. Nothing doing yet.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I find this an odd UI choice. I'd much prefer the in-car UI to report how many amps it's consuming reliably rather than filter it through the "of which we think __ is going into the battery" lens. Looks like I'm due for another mail to ownership, unless Sam sends it.

11. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I've seen this problem under conditions of long wiring runs. Watch your dash display when you plug in. The current will try to ramp up from zero, the car watches the voltage drop during the ramp and calculates the line resistance. If it senses too much voltage drop the current will reset to zero and stay there for a while. It will try to ramp again periodically to see if the problem is fixed. One workaround is to set the charge current to 5 amps and see if it sticks. Usually it gives a momentary error message about not using an extension cord, which goes away eventually.

12. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Be careful, I have found just the opposite to be true; the car reports total Amps drawn from the outlet. Yesterday, when doing a range charge (I was already throttled back in Amps because the battery was almost full), I turned on climate control and set the heat to 77˚ F. to preheat the cabin. That caused a noticeable increase of several Amps on the 240 V connection. This was with v5.6.

13. SamGarber

@Brianman go ahead and send it in :) it never resolved the problem. The steed is back in the stall eating from the HPWC trough at a happy 58mi/hr. Now how do I remove the non-charging outlet from visited charger history? Hmmm...

14. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

I had trouble the first time I plugged in to 110 / 12 amps. The car kept restarting the charge and then stalled at 0. I dialed the amps back from 12 to 10 amps, and all worked well. I tried later to dial the amps up to 11, but it eventually failed. Set back to 10 amps, and all was well. I WAS using a long extension cord which I realize is taboo (no choice). Bottom line.... at 10 amps and 110 volts in weather at freezing, there is little range gain but I am able to warm the cabin and avoid loss of regen when setting out.

15. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Long extension cords are fine if they are think, heavy duty cords. I regularly use a 100' #12 on trips for 120 Volt charging, but it does weigh a lot. :eek:

16. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I suspect the reason why Tesla says no extension cords is that people will use regular light duty extension cords which WILL NOT WORK with a continuous 12A draw. If you have to use an extension cord, it must be a big thick kind. I wouldn't use anything less than 12 gauge.

17. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Is the green light pulsing?

18. SamGarber

It was when I walked away from the car, which is why I thought it was ok. Walking around the mall, I noticed the actual level of charge is 0mi/hr. It does seem to stop the charging after 15-20 minutes - I am guessing since it cannot draw enough?

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've used 120 volt charging on a couple of rare occasions, but never in the really cold. I always saw it go up to 12/12 amps almost right away. The fact that it shows 0/12 amps would be concerning to me. I charge at a reduced rate on my 240 volt connection, and even in sub-freezing temperatures, it always jumps to my amp setting immediately.

20. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I do the same as you do and see the same result as you do.