Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging in an RV and Tesla at a campsite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as I would never go into my bathroom and plug two hair dryers into two outlets I knew were on the same circuit and trust the circuit breaker to trip and not catch the house on fire, I wouldn't trust campground wiring of unknown providence to shut off gracefully when presented with big, continuous loads.

I am reminded of one of Murphy's Laws of Technology, which, while a bit dated, is germaine:

"The $400 television tube will blow to protect the $0.10 fuse."

Believe it or not this was the most advanced newest-looking electrical setup I'd ever seen in the campground. Each unit had a radio like repeater that went back to the main location where they could turn the power on and off. Kind of like check out time has passed your power is off.

I'm sure they knew who the guilty party was. Yet they shouldn't have a system that would shut down half the campground. Me cycling that localized breaker again and again probably trip something.

Reactions: F14Scott
I'm actually more interested in if you are planning to trailer your Tesla behind the RV....and how

We have and RV and one of the negative checks for my buying a model Y is that it's not flat towable. Would be sweet if it was and it could be our RV toad too.

Anyway, I haven't given this much thought...but I have been planning to get a 14-50 outlet in my garage as well as just outside my garage so that I can plug in the car and the RV at home (when I have the RV home from the storage lot)

If I were to do what you are planning, I'd plan on just buying the whole kit of adapters s that I could plug the car into any of the potential outlets.
I've seen far too many campgrounds where the TT-30 outlet is worn out, arc burnt, or otherwise no good. In fact the majority of the time I plug my 30A RV into the 50A outlet through a dogbone.
Also, I have a progressive industries power monitor on my RV and have come across a lot of times when CG voltage is low, etc... so be careful.

If push comes to shove and you need a fast charge in the car with limited outlets, you could always plug the RV into the 20 amp outlet for a while and just not run AC for a bit.