Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging in every day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MX for over a month now and absolutely love it! I'm finding all kinds of reasons to just hop in the car to run an errand...where I would have accumulated errands to make one trip in my ICE car. :)

Unless I'm driving on a longer trip, I can run for several days without plugging in to charge. Being aware to charge up to 80 or 90% and not drain below 20 or 10%, is there really any reason to plug in every time I return home?

I've read on this forum that I might find myself with a low battery state when I'm ready to take a longer trip...just because I don't have the habit of staying plugged in. C'mon! I'm smart enough to have bought a Tesla...I think I can manage my plans as needed!

Seriously though...am I damaging battery life by not staying plugged in? Is there any other detrimental effect I'm not aware of? I've heard the saying "a plugged in S is a happy S". Is that obsolete thinking...or is there a real reason for that?

Thanks for the opinions and help.

I've had my MX for over a month now and absolutely love it! I'm finding all kinds of reasons to just hop in the car to run an errand...where I would have accumulated errands to make one trip in my ICE car. :)

Unless I'm driving on a longer trip, I can run for several days without plugging in to charge. Being aware to charge up to 80 or 90% and not drain below 20 or 10%, is there really any reason to plug in every time I return home?

I've read on this forum that I might find myself with a low battery state when I'm ready to take a longer trip...just because I don't have the habit of staying plugged in. C'mon! I'm smart enough to have bought a Tesla...I think I can manage my plans as needed!

Seriously though...am I damaging battery life by not staying plugged in? Is there any other detrimental effect I'm not aware of? I've heard the saying "a plugged in S is a happy S". Is that obsolete thinking...or is there a real reason for that?

Since new to the forum, have you noticed the Search feature? Lots of threads about this over the last couple years. It's a good question, and there are lots of previous replies.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and XLR82XS
Thanks. I actually DID search for other answers, but didn't really find anything specific to what I was asking. There are some older comments about being caught with a low charge when I needed to go somewhere, but that's just planning as far as I can see. If I missed something, I'd appreciate pointing me to it.

The issue for me (really being picky here!) is that I have a level 2 charger at home, from when I had a BMW 530e. Since it's not a Tesla charger, I have to press and hold the trunk button on my key fob to release the charging cable. It's no biggie, but since I'm getting spoiled by all the other automation, I guess I'm getting lazy :rolleyes:

DMC - I'm actually one of those nerds who DOES RTFM! Ok...maybe not all of it, but that was the first place I went to get my answer, before searching the forum and then posting this thread.

I still can't find any definitive answer to whether or not I'm doing any harm by only plugging in once a week (or more if needed), as long as I don't go below 20%...and set my charging limit to 80%...only going to 100% when I'm getting ready to take a road trip. The awesome range is spoiling me, after having to tread lightly with the Beemer's measly 20+ mile range!

DMC - I'm actually one of those nerds who DOES RTFM! Ok...maybe not all of it, but that was the first place I went to get my answer, before searching the forum and then posting this thread.

Remember, you asked for it! :p

Model X Owners Manual (2020.4 North America), Section: Charging; SubSection: Battery Information (~pg 184)

Quote: "Model X has one of the most sophisticatedbattery systems in the world. The mostimportant way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN whenyou are not using it. This is particularlyimportant if you are not planning to driveModel X for several weeks. When plugged in,Model X wakes up when needed toautomatically maintain a charge level thatmaximizes the lifetime of the Battery."

Reactions: NHseacoast
Thanks K3Man. I did see that, but it's still ambiguous to me. I would not be leaving my car unplugged for several weeks...just several days. The battery would never get low enough to be in the danger zone. Could it be that the manual yelling "LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN " is intended to avoid bad stuff that would happen if the battery gets fully depleted...as the manual references?

Per latest MX manual v. 2020.20:
".....About the Battery
Model X has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model X for several weeks. When plugged in, Model X wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
NOTE: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary.
There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly." Page 204

The issue for me (really being picky here!) is that I have a level 2 charger at home, from when I had a BMW 530e. Since it's not a Tesla charger, I have to press and hold the trunk button on my key fob to release the charging cable. It's no biggie, but since I'm getting spoiled by all the other automation, I guess I'm getting lazy :rolleyes:

How is the L2 connector wired? If it's plugged into a 14-50 outlet, you're just $35 away from charging nirvana. You'd just need the NEMA 14-50 plug for your Tesla Mobile Connector, and... done. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

If the L2 Connector is hardwired, it's still probably easy to replace with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. So you'd be in the $35 above, plus the receptacle cost (~$25?) and - again - done.

You're so close to having the best of all worlds. ;-)

• Helpful
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Thanks dmruphy. Maybe I'm not understanding you. I already have a HWPC that I used on my Beemer. I use the SAE J1772 adapter that comes with the car, which works just fine. The problem is that the Tesla HWPC has a button on the plug that allows me to disconnect from the car's charge port. The adapter has no such thing. So...I have to get my key fob out and press and hold the trunk button to release the cable. I looks like the NEMA adapters just allow connection without a HWPC. Am I missing the point?

SSedan...the J1772 is an adapter that allows me to connect my HWPC to the X. (ClipperCreek LCS-20, 240V, 16 Amp, Level 2 EV Charging Station, Hardwired, 25 Ft Cable).

Are you guys saying that I can get another adapter (other than the J1772) that has a button on it that will allow me to disengage from the charging port? If so, why is it included in the mobile kit? I also bought an extra from Tesla so I'd always have one in the car. I would have thought that Tesla would sell me a different adapter.

Thanks dmruphy. Maybe I'm not understanding you. I already have a HWPC that I used on my Beemer. I use the SAE J1772 adapter that comes with the car, which works just fine. The problem is that the Tesla HWPC has a button on the plug that allows me to disconnect from the car's charge port. The adapter has no such thing. So...I have to get my key fob out and press and hold the trunk button to release the cable. I looks like the NEMA adapters just allow connection without a HWPC. Am I missing the point?
SSedan...the J1772 is an adapter that allows me to connect my HWPC to the X. (ClipperCreek LCS-20, 240V, 16 Amp, Level 2 EV Charging Station, Hardwired, 25 Ft Cable).

Are you guys saying that I can get another adapter (other than the J1772) that has a button on it that will allow me to disengage from the charging port? If so, why is it included in the mobile kit? I also bought an extra from Tesla so I'd always have one in the car. I would have thought that Tesla would sell me a different adapter.

No, what I'm saying is replace the ClipperCreek with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and plug your Tesla mobile connector into that instead. Will solve your pushbutton problem, for around $30 or so. If you want to go the sexy route, put a Tesla HPWC in the ClipperCreek's place (~$500 solution).

Plugging in every night masks phantom drain. I once made the analogy of range loss due to phantom drain akin to an ICE car losing half a gallon of gas per day. I have no reservations of utilizing my unlimited supercharging to offset this. I will top off every now and then during the week but since I am 5 miles from the nearest 4 superchargers, I have no reason to increase my own electrical bill for phantom drain that never gets used.

Reactions: fbitz777 and P85_DA
Hmm.... Weird. On my Model X, when ever I'm ready to unplug the J1772 plug (with Tesla adaptor attached). I just squeezed the trigger on the handle of the J1772, and I hear a click and I pull (make sure to release the trigger again so that it latches back onto the Tesla adaptor), the adaptor comes right out. Not sure if it's any different vs home J1772 cables. This is all in public charging stations.

-ThinkMac-

The problem is that the Tesla HWPC has a button on the plug that allows me to disconnect from the car's charge port. The adapter has no such thing. So...I have to get my key fob out and press and hold the trunk button to release the cable.
Hmm.... Weird. On my Model X, when ever I'm ready to unplug the J1772 plug (with Tesla adaptor attached). I just squeezed the trigger on the handle of the J1772, and I hear a click and I pull (make sure to release the trigger again so that it latches back onto the Tesla adaptor), the adaptor comes right out. Not sure if it's any different vs home J1772 cables. This is all in public charging stations.
Oh. I hadn't read that carefully. I skimmed it and thought it was referring to pushing the button to remotely open the port before plugging in.

You're right that with a J1772 handle through the adapter that it will always release the port when you press the latch button of the J1772 handle. That's because it's not a wireless transmission in that case. The signal wire is connected to the car and is sending an interrupt directly that tells the car to stop charging and release the port latch.

But then to get them both out smoothly, you will want to use your other hand to grab the adapter so you can pull them both out together with that latch button still pressed.

I believe that trigger also tells the charger to stop charging, hence notifying the car to open the lock. I find that if I do it real quick, I can get away with 1 hand operation. Click trigger, immediately release and pull, it works like 80% of the time, but like Rocky_H says, sometimes you do have to to do 2 hand operation.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: Rocky_H
There is another thread in the MX forum about keeping tabs on the health of your 12V battery and if the HV battery gets below 50% the BMS won't charge the 12V battery. If for no other reason I would keep the car plugged in when not using