Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging in every day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI- this discussion just made me think about other ways to open your charge port- like talking to Siri, etc. So...

I believe the app Tesla Commands can create siri shortcuts to do all sorts of things including operations around the charge port. This includes adding shortcuts to the new home page. Not sure this helps (or if you have an IOS device)- but here it is:
‎Commands for Tesla

Also in theory you can create your own shortcuts using the Tesla app APIs- I really haven't looked into any of this but I know it existed- so here it is:
Apple Siri commands and Apple shortcuts for your Tesla

The battery is most happy at 50% this will always be the sweet spot when not driving the car for long periods or only short trips. I always plan my trips and charge up accordingly, but if I’m driving local ill always keep battery at 50 and always plugged in. I have a V3 charger less than a mile and a free L2 48 amps .5 miles away. I almost never super charge even with my FUSC. My battery degradation is less than 1% after 15k miles, also never charged to 100%, never higher than 90%

The battery is most happy at 50% this will always be the sweet spot when not driving the car for long periods or only short trips. I always plan my trips and charge up accordingly, but if I’m driving local ill always keep battery at 50 and always plugged in. I have a V3 charger less than a mile and a free L2 48 amps .5 miles away. I almost never super charge even with my FUSC. My battery degradation is less than 1% after 15k miles, also never charged to 100%, never higher than 90%
I have just purchased a 2021 X. I am finding that I only drive about 20 to 30 miles a day so the discharge is minimal. I do plug in when not using but where did you find that 50% is the best place to charge to when you don't drive long distances?

I had my 12V replaced last week and received conflicting advice / direction from my SA (somewhat tenured 6 yrs). He said that the “engineering team” has had learning about battery care (main pack of course and not the 12V), with that said I’m not sure why Tesla doesn’t update the manual of this is true. Similar to what others mentioned, charging from a lower state (30%) to 80-90% is what he recommended. In addition, he mentioned NOT to keep it plugged in and to only plug in to charge. The only time he said to leave it plugged is if you leave for extended periods (ie 30 days). In case you’re wondering, the 12V life on the model X is about 2 years from what he’s seen regardless to what you do. I’ve read similar statements in the forum. Just thought i’d share, but am interested in some of your thoughts on his comments.

I had my 12V replaced last week and received conflicting advice / direction from my SA (somewhat tenured 6 yrs). He said that the “engineering team” has had learning about battery care (main pack of course and not the 12V), with that said I’m not sure why Tesla doesn’t update the manual of this is true. Similar to what others mentioned, charging from a lower state (30%) to 80-90% is what he recommended. In addition, he mentioned NOT to keep it plugged in and to only plug in to charge. The only time he said to leave it plugged is if you leave for extended periods (ie 30 days). In case you’re wondering, the 12V life on the model X is about 2 years from what he’s seen regardless to what you do. I’ve read similar statements in the forum. Just thought i’d share, but am interested in some of your thoughts on his comments.

This is exactly what I've heard from multiple other sources as well: charge from 30% up to 90% if possible.

Also: don't leave it plugged in unless storing the vehicle for more than 1 week. I'd definitely plug it in but leave the SOC at ~50% if I'm not driving the car for an extended period of time.

Reactions: TigerTan
I plug in every trday if the sun shines.
It is cheaper to use my excess solar to charge than sell it to the electric company(GUS does not refund Power Cost penalties on buybacks).
My X60D is 4&1/2 years old with 50k miles and still shows 190 miles.
I do not understand why you would buy a Model X, pay the sales tax, and insurance premium and then NOT spend $500 for a proper charger.

I do not understand why you would buy a Model X, pay the sales tax, and insurance premium and then NOT spend $500 for a proper charger.
This makes no sense at all. What is it that you think would be "proper"? This person is using a wall mounted, 240V, electric car charging station. That is about as "proper" as it gets. What do you think this person should waste $500 for that would be more "proper"?

Reactions: fbitz777
Per latest MX manual v. 2020.20:
".....About the Battery
Model X has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model X for several weeks. When plugged in, Model X wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
NOTE: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary.
There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly." Page 204
What I find is that keeping it plugged in masks the problems with vampire drain , etc. Severe problems are noticeable when not constantly being masked by being charged whenever parked.

Reactions: TigerTan
What I find is that keeping it plugged in masks the problems with vampire drain , etc. Severe problems are noticeable when not constantly being masked by being charged whenever parked.
I have my start charging set at 23:00 hrs. And I still can see vampire drain as I will not even start charging every day if not used. 3% drop in SOC is no enough to have him start charging again.
I didn't test what is does when you don't give a start time but I assume the same.

Interesting post. I do not keep it connected all the time. Good to hear some recommendations to not keep it connected. The manual says to keep it connected. However, no evidence yet to say not keeping it connected harms the battery in any way.