TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plugging in to a Locked Car

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mknox, Jan 13, 2013.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't see a specific reference to this.

With more and more EVs on the road, I envision a scenario where I show up, but the charger is in use. What I'm wondering is if I can put the J1772 adapter into the car, lock it then leave a note on the other guy's car asking if he'd kindly plug my car in when he leaves. (assuming it is not a for-pay charger, of course).

Would the car begin to charge in this scenario, or does some addition step have to be performed to initiate charging? For example, does the car have to be unlocked to initiate, then locked?

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'll let other Model S owners answer your direct question - but regardless, I assume that when you have the app, you will be able to control those functions remotely. You could then leave a note asking them to call you when they've switched the plug.

Using the Tesla Tattler on my Roadster, I can lock/unlock, select charging mode, start/stop charging, check status/SOC, etc. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do all those things with the Model S app.

3. Ditpixs

Ditpixs Member

I do this daily at work. We share an old converted HPC (j1772). When I get there, I put the adapter in the charge port and once the other car is done, they plug me in. Charging starts immediately.

Aaron

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Perfect. Thanks!

5. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Only caveat is that when one presses the unlock hook on the J1772, the charger port unlocks (even if you or your fob is not nearby). So, it is possible to remove the adapter by accident (or otherwise) for a few seconds, until the port once again locks in the adapter. Unfortunately, if the adapter has been removed, it can't be reinserted if the port has re-locked. If yours is missing, look on your windshield or the EVSE charger itself, as your associate may have set it there....

6. William13

William13 Member

Also please note that the adaptor is difficult to remove without the J1772 connected.

7. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

I have done this with my Roadster and it works fine also.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Depends on the adapter; mine comes out fairly easily.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

IIRC, Cinergi posted that some of the early adapters shipped were made too large, which is why there was a problem pulling them out.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Curious to know what the mechanism is that causes the Model S's port to unlock when the J1772 hook is released. I would have expected the adapter to stay firmly attached to the car, as this raises the possibility of having the adapter stolen. I assume there must be some signalling going on between the J1772 and the car via the adapter.

11. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

I have software 4.1 (1.19.29).

I have only used a public charger once, but that is not what I experienced.

On that occasion I found that I had to go to the Model S display and explicitly select open charger port in order to both initiate a charging session and to disconnect the adapter from the Model S charging port. I happened to stop the charging by depressing the unlock hook on the J1772 cable, but I couldn't extract the adapter until I had gone into the car and selected open charger port. This particular procedure results in ChargePoint sending me a text message and an email message alerting me to the fact that my charging cable was disconnected and that I would have to use my ChargePoint card to reinitiate another charging session.

This particular ChargePoint charger was free, but it still required a ChargePoint card to initiate a session. So even if I were to unlock the charge port someone else could not start a session later without a card.

Larry

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

When you push the release button on the J1772 it interrupts the pilot, IIRC.

13. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Aaron to clarify are you referring to a Roadster or a Model S?

Thanks.

Larry

14. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Perhaps the 4.x software upgrade fixed this problem, or perhaps the pilot signal communicates differently with the car with this particular EVSE. I'm using an AV EVSE, but haven't plugged into any other brands.