Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging into random 110 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mall near my work (50 miles from home) just added an rural King store and they just put in six 110v outlets along the outside of the store. We are expecting more cold weather and a good bit of snow over the next week. Is it kosher if I get stuck overnight to just plug in for a few hours or should I talk to the mall office or management first? has anyone gone through anything like this before?

The mall near my work (50 miles from home) just added an rural King store and they just put in six 110v outlets along the outside of the store. We are expecting more cold weather and a good bit of snow over the next week. Is it kosher if I get stuck overnight to just plug in for a few hours or should I talk to the mall office or management first? has anyone gone through anything like this before?
Be prepared to be shocked at the 2-4M return per hour.

• Funny
Reactions: David99

With our LEAF we used 110V plugs all over (including driving between trees to reach buildings and we had an extension cord for just such leech sessions).

If someone was around, we asked permission (These were always public buildings not someone's private residence which would be clear trespassing).

So since its a mall its technically private. I'd ask first but if no one is around, its your call as to how you want to proceed. A lot of malls have L2 charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies

120v you mean. There hasn't been 110v service in the US in almost 100 years now.

Ga. Man Charged for Juicing Electric Car at Local School

I'd ask first, just in case. They probably wouldn't have any issue but you don't want to find out the hard way if they do.

Off topic but:

'According to the Chamblee police report, the police officer wrote, "I asked him why his vehicle was plugged into the power at the school. He told me that was an excepted [sic] practice and that I was making to [sic] much of it. I asked him if he has [sic] asked the Dekalb County school system if he could take the power. He told me that I did not ask if my patrol car can dirty the air -- did you? He says 'No you did not'."'

Apparently police officers in Chamblee are borderline illiterate.

People plug in to charge phones everywhere. There is even a commercial making fun of them calling them "wall huggers". There are no signs saying they are allowed to or not allowed too charge their phones.

Begging forgiveness in this case is the way to go here. If they do question you be humble and apologize and perhaps mention the charging your cell phone comparison as it'll make it seem less of a big deal.

If you ask for permission you're gonna get a lot of blank stares as nobody will want to make the call and eventually someone will just say NO cause they have no idea what to do.

Wouldn't hurt you to buy a few things from them here and there as a thank you. Maybe keep a bag of theirs in your front car seat to make it seem like you're a frequent shopper.

People plug in to charge phones everywhere. There is even a commercial making fun of them calling them "wall huggers". There are no signs saying they are allowed to or not allowed too charge their phones.

Begging forgiveness in this case is the way to go here. If they do question you be humble and apologize and perhaps mention the charging your cell phone comparison as it'll make it seem less of a big deal.

If you ask for permission you're gonna get a lot of blank stares as nobody will want to make the call and eventually someone will just say NO cause they have no idea what to do.

Wouldn't hurt you to buy a few things from them here and there as a thank you. Maybe keep a bag of theirs in your front car seat to make it seem like you're a frequent shopper.

I agree with your post overall, but I think the big difference in cell phone vs car is how much power it draws. The most any phone, or even laptop, is going to draw is ~80W. A Model S typically draws ~1.4kW, about 17 times the amount. Charging for, say 5 hours, would cost the business ~$0.49 vs $0.03. Also, if the plugs aren't great quality, it can cause problems. I've melted a cheap fused outlet before by charging my old Leaf on it.

If this will put a cord across the sidewalk, then that trip hazard is a liability to the company unless you also add a cord guard. Will this be unattended? If so, the snow removal crew may also get annoyed.

If it's in cold frozen weather, I wouldn't even expect the usual 3 mph 120v charge, but it would help warm the battery and stop parasitic losses at minimum.

Just plug in. It would be difficult to find out how to ask, and the best way to see if it's OK to plug in is to do it - if it's not they'll get in touch with you and save you the hassle of dialing everyone involved in the property's management.