Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging into USB instantly crashes both screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the subject says it all, but I had unplugged my 64 GB Sandisk USB drive the other day and added more music to it (about 150 songs in total). I plugged it back in while driving, and the center screen instantly went black and the driver's screen froze in place. I pulled over and rebooted the center screen after which it said "Car Needs Service", but the rest of the screen was unresponsive, but the driver's screen unfroze. Once I got back home, I called Tesla and was told to reboot both screens since the car was offline (I had noticed the app was not finding the car anymore). Everything came back, but now the USB drive was not showing under My Devices. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. BAM! Everything crashed again. Time for another dual reboot. Something was up with the USB drive so I thought "Why not try another USB drive?" I then tried two others (one with one mp3 song on it and another that was blank). BAM! BAM! Both caused instant crashes. I even tried plugging in my phone (like I just wanted to charge). BAM! Another crash. I called Tesla again, and they pulled the logs.

Fast forward to today, and my service center calls and says the engineers had reviewed the logs, and they indicate the car is crashing because "You are not supposed to have anything plugged into the USB port when the car is powered on because it will overwhelm the system." That is obviously a load of BS and made me seriously disappointed that such terrible misinformation would be claimed by Tesla's engineers. I called them out on it, and when Tesla called back and again stated that nothing was wrong with the car, I began arguing there was, and they said they could try replacing the USB system when "parts are available" in about three months. I was informed they would call me once the parts arrive, and that basically ended the disapointing phone call.

I also noticed at about the same time that the crashes began occurring that the driver's screen is no longer turning on when I open the door. It is seemingly doing a full boot up once I touch the brake and takes about 30 seconds before I am able to drive the car. Something seems really wrong with that. This happened a dozen times this afternoon/evening while running errands and continues even after another dual reboot to try to fix the issue.

That leaves me with a 1.5 week old car with non-functional USB ports, no way to play music from an external source, no way to charge without a cigarette charger, and built-in time to mediate while the driver's screen does its slow reboot every time I get in the car for months to come. My first experience with Tesla service is leaving a lot to be desired.

So....has anyone else ever had a similar issue, and if so, what was the problem and solution? And for Tesla, if you read this forum, you should really track down your engineer who is claiming the USB ports cannot have anything plugged into them while starting the car. I highly doubt you have 50,000 owners out there unplugging their USB drives every time they turn get out of the car. That is outright ridiculous.

I leave my music HD plugged into the USB port all the time. It doesn't seem to affect startup in the least.

Perhaps they meant not to remove or put in the USB while driving. Not that you shouldn't have anything plugged into it but you shouldn't do the physical act of plugging in while driving. Otherwise what they said makes no sense, thousands of us leave the USB key with music on it plugged in all the time. Try emailing [email protected] and explain the situation and see what answer you get.

Last edited:
I also noticed at about the same time that the crashes began occurring that the driver's screen is no longer turning on when I open the door. It is seemingly doing a full boot up once I touch the brake and takes about 30 seconds before I am able to drive the car. Something seems really wrong with that. This happened a dozen times this afternoon/evening while running errands and continues even after another dual reboot to try to fix the issue.

Please check Settings, Display, Energy Savings Mode. I'll bet it is ON. That means your car "sleeps" after you leave it for 10 minutes or so. What you are seeing on driver screen is the wakeup procedure. You can turn this setting OFF, but that will use more energy (battery range) while the car is idle. Not a lot more energy... a little. But many owners choose to conserve range, and therefore use this setting.

Yes, the claim re: ports is ridiculous. One thing to keep in mind is that Tesla service centers have grown exponentially over past 2 years. Average tenure of employees is getting better, but still quite short. The person who interacted with you on phone may be relatively new, and may have misinterpreted what the "engineer" told them, and then explained it to you wrong. I have had nothing but excellent service interactions, so these reports always surprise me, but people are people and sometimes they will hire a rough one.

I have never tried to plug/unplug USB while driving, but I have done many times while parked with no incident. Try doing it while parked. If that is OK, then just use it that way while they order the parts. If they balk at replacing USB system, then - at your convenience - bring it by service center and show them the problem first hand. If they say it is normal, then have them try plugging same USB drive into a demo car to see if they can replicate. I suspect they will expedite things after that experiment.

I think the subject says it all, but I had unplugged my 64 GB Sandisk USB drive the other day and added more music to it (about 150 songs in total). I plugged it back in while driving, and the center screen instantly went black and the driver's screen froze in place. I pulled over and rebooted the center screen after which it said "Car Needs Service", but the rest of the screen was unresponsive, but the driver's screen unfroze. Once I got back home, I called Tesla and was told to reboot both screens since the car was offline (I had noticed the app was not finding the car anymore). Everything came back, but now the USB drive was not showing under My Devices. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. BAM! Everything crashed again. Time for another dual reboot. Something was up with the USB drive so I thought "Why not try another USB drive?" I then tried two others (one with one mp3 song on it and another that was blank). BAM! BAM! Both caused instant crashes. I even tried plugging in my phone (like I just wanted to charge). BAM! Another crash. I called Tesla again, and they pulled the logs.

Fast forward to today, and my service center calls and says the engineers had reviewed the logs, and they indicate the car is crashing because "You are not supposed to have anything plugged into the USB port when the car is powered on because it will overwhelm the system." That is obviously a load of BS and made me seriously disappointed that such terrible misinformation would be claimed by Tesla's engineers. I called them out on it, and when Tesla called back and again stated that nothing was wrong with the car, I began arguing there was, and they said they could try replacing the USB system when "parts are available" in about three months. I was informed they would call me once the parts arrive, and that basically ended the disapointing phone call.

That leaves me with a 1.5 week old car with non-functional USB ports, no way to play music from an external source, no way to charge without a cigarette charger, and built-in time to mediate while the driver's screen does its slow reboot every time I get in the car for months to come. My first experience with Tesla service is leaving a lot to be desired.

So....has anyone else ever had a similar issue, and if so, what was the problem and solution? And for Tesla, if you read this forum, you should really track down your engineer who is claiming the USB ports cannot have anything plugged into them while starting the car. I highly doubt you have 50,000 owners out there unplugging their USB drives every time they turn get out of the car. That is outright ridiculous.

Very similar to what happened on my car but the same USB drive worked fine with all prior firmware versions. I was able to get my USB drive working by changing the file structure (Moved all folders up 1 level by deleting a top level folder) I also deleted an audio book that had many files and for whatever reason it works fine now.

When my USB drive was crashing the system it would lock the screen and reset itself after a minute or so but it never stuck on car needs service like you said.

- - - Updated - - -

Please check Settings, Display, Energy Savings Mode. I'll bet it is ON. That means your car "sleeps" after you leave it for 10 minutes or so. What you are seeing on driver screen is the wakeup procedure. You can turn this setting OFF, but that will use more energy (battery range) while the car is idle. Not a lot more energy... a little. But many owners choose to conserve range, and therefore use this setting.

Yes, the claim re: ports is ridiculous. One thing to keep in mind is that Tesla service centers have grown exponentially over past 2 years. Average tenure of employees is getting better, but still quite short. The person who interacted with you on phone may be relatively new, and may have misinterpreted what the "engineer" told them, and then explained it to you wrong. I have had nothing but excellent service interactions, so these reports always surprise me, but people are people and sometimes they will hire a rough one.

I have never tried to plug/unplug USB while driving, but I have done many times while parked with no incident. Try doing it while parked. If that is OK, then just use it that way while they order the parts. If they balk at replacing USB system, then - at your convenience - bring it by service center and show them the problem first hand. If they say it is normal, then have them try plugging same USB drive into a demo car to see if they can replicate. I suspect they will expedite things after that experiment.

Parked, Driving, didn't matter when my USB was causing the crash but it really looks like there's something in 6.0 that is no longer handling USB drives correctly.

Very similar to what happened on my car but the same USB drive worked fine with all prior firmware versions. I was able to get my USB drive working by changing the file structure (Moved all folders up 1 level by deleting a top level folder) I also deleted an audio book that had many files and for whatever reason it works fine now.

When my USB drive was crashing the system it would lock the screen and reset itself after a minute or so but it never stuck on car needs service like you said.

- - - Updated - - -

Parked, Driving, didn't matter when my USB was causing the crash but it really looks like there's something in 6.0 that is no longer handling USB drives correctly.

these sound quite different. You had issue with one device. OP on this thread can't even charge a phone. Sounds like hardware.