Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugshare and Zap Map - "Tries hard, could do better"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use both

However, both could do better wrt keeping their charger info updated.

Plugshare have started to get a bit heavy-handed IMO (forgetting where their data comes from - community users) and hiding Superchargers they don't want to put live yet, by assigning invalid connectors to them - connectors no local users can select in the map filters. When a community member then creates another pin on the map 'cause they can't see the hidden one, the admins move the photos over to the hidden one and delete the new/visible one. Still leaving the hidden one hidden. They've done this on Amesbury, Fort William, Inverness

Zap-Map have different challenges - perhaps a victim of their success/volume of chargers. Changes can only be done by admins (not sure how many they have, but it's not enough) and the changes can take months or not be done at all.

I've tried to contact both, on individual chargers and generally to support addresses. I'm willing to put effort into both of these to help improve them - anyone know how to get more traction ? Do they have local map scouts/editors ?

Reactions: CMc1
Totally agree. I use both too and try and actively edit the info, but often get no response from PlugShare and denied by Zap-Map.

For example there is number of chargers in Newcastle no longer installed (physically removed with photos to support) and Zap-Map and PlugShare refuse to remove them. Zap-Map say they still receive comms from the unit so keep it on there. But this leads to many driver unfamiliar with the area trying to find the charger and running near zero.

I’ve noticed the supercharger issue with PlugShare too. They often lock them too so can’t suggest edits to kW rates or even number of stalls. Number of stalls still listed as 120 kW despite being 130 kW or 150 kW.
Another with Fastned. Plugs incorrect along with charge rates. And Zap-Map say “thanks for feedback, but we’ll monitor for now”... “I’ve just shown you the photos and their website as evidence.. what else do you need!?”

I guess the challenge is they pull data from APIs. If say Polar are sending data on a unit you’d have to remove it each time. They need a better way to pass on feedback so their sources update their data or an override/exemption/deny list.

As for SuCs seems bizarre they’d do that when they’re on the car map.

Regards Zap-Map - before I download it etc - what are the in-app purchase products/benefits?
I tend to just use the app to check the comments on chargers I haven't used before. You can get an idea of how reliable it is and also exactly where it is.

IMG_2052.PNG

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Regards Zap-Map - before I download it etc - what are the in-app purchase products/benefits?
None as far as my experience goes.....

You can also try Electroverse (the renamed Octopus Electric Juice) or Bonnet for finding charge points, but I don't know their ability to maintain up to date info on charger status (not working, failed to charge, etc).

Reactions: AndyWarrington