Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PlugShare now optimized for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't tried it in the car yet, but here's two suggestions to make Plugshare more Tesla-friendly:
1. Change "dryer outlet" to NEMA 14-50. I suggested this many months ago. I think that's what you mean, but a NEMA 14-50 isn't a dryer outlet. Dryers use 14-30. Or if you really mean "dryer outlet", then keep it and add NEMA 14-50 as a category.
2. Identify J1772 as "high-amp J1772" if they're 40A or greater.

I just recently did a trip from Toronto to NYC last week and we used Plugshare the whole way down, and the whole way back. We were pleasantly surprised to see that Plugshare had been updated for Tesla, as we tend to use it quite a bit. The optimized view for the Tesla is perfect, and it made it really easy to both find places, and then provide reviews on them after. As I see it, the strength of Plugshare is in the reviews and making it easier to review will mean greater adoption. I always looks to see if someone has recently posted on a charger, the specifics of what they said and if there are pictures. A recent use with a good review and a photo makes me way more likely to use a charger. On the flipside, we also posted lots of negative reviews on our trip for chargers that didn't work, or we not quite set up, as I think that really helps the community too. For example, all of downtown Rochester has a series of parking garages with many chargers, all of which are on Plugshare showing as working...but none of which actually happen to work yet. I suspect they'll be enabled any day, but we had to adjust our plans to use a Plugshare at a private home instead of a public one. This is the good part about Plugshare because it worked either way, as it was so easy to find ourselves a new option. Nice work!

Mike: The databases have been consolidated. Recargo user and station data has been fully merged into the PlugShare database. If you notice discrepancies, please let us know.

To speak more broadly, we're obviously pushing forward exclusively with the PlugShare brand for our station finding products. There's been a lot of miscommunication on our part regarding the future of Recargo, and we're working hard to do a better job at this in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the features I really liked about the Recargo app is the news. Nothing has been added now for weeks

Michael, if you're using iOS I suggest you check out our new PluginCars app for news.

I assume this detect's the Model S browser and changes as appropriate?

Tom, yes.

Haven't tried it in the car yet, but here's two suggestions to make Plugshare more Tesla-friendly:
1. Change "dryer outlet" to NEMA 14-50. I suggested this many months ago. I think that's what you mean, but a NEMA 14-50 isn't a dryer outlet. Dryers use 14-30. Or if you really mean "dryer outlet", then keep it and add NEMA 14-50 as a category.

Great suggestions. I am sure they will be added to PlugShare at some point. I hope that point comes soon.

GSP

I agree with #1 however I think it would be much more helpful for Plugshare to add a field to show the charger make and actual amp rating (i.e., 20A, 30A, 40A, 60A, 90A, 100A) right by the plug type, not just some unknown number >40. I know that could cause a bit of confusion since the amp ratings are the breaker limits (I think), actual delivered amps is 20% less. I think the make is important because there are more popping up all the time, and some (e.g. AddENERGIE, SemaCharge) require their own specific RFID cards. Only about half (my WAG) of the stations on Plugshare have the charger make or brand listed.

So, my signature notwithstanding, that really is my $.02.

Mike: The databases have been consolidated. Recargo user and station data has been fully merged into the PlugShare database. If you notice discrepancies, please let us know.

To speak more broadly, we're obviously pushing forward exclusively with the PlugShare brand for our station finding products. There's been a lot of miscommunication on our part regarding the future of Recargo, and we're working hard to do a better job at this in the future.

Great, glad to hear it. Thanks for your efforts!

Just tried it in the Model S. I see the Tesla version does have NEMA 14-50 listed as an option, and is included in the default settings (along with Supercharger, HPWC, and J1772). Actually the web version on Safari now says "Nema 14-50" rather than "dryer outlet". Maybe I was looking at an old page earlier today, or is it different for Mac vs. PC?

Filtering on "hotel only" is a great addition.

How do I get the map to show my current location? On my Mac there is a popup to allow use of current location, and an arrow to click next to the search box, neither of which appears on my Tesla browser.

I agree with #1 however I think it would be much more helpful for Plugshare to add a field to show the charger make and actual amp rating (i.e., 20A, 30A, 40A, 60A, 90A, 100A) right by the plug type, not just some unknown number >40. I know that could cause a bit of confusion since the amp ratings are the breaker limits (I think), actual delivered amps is 20% less.
Agree this would be useful information in the description of the charging station, but I was talking about filtering by high amp J1772, not just J1772, to narrow down how many pins to click on. If there are 20 J1772 showing on a page, and 5 of them are 40A or greater, you would only have to click on those 5 to see the details you're interested in. (And I meant greater than or equal to 40A in my post, not greater than 40A).

Agree this would be useful information in the description of the charging station, but I was talking about filtering by high amp J1772, not just J1772, to narrow down how many pins to click on. If there are 20 J1772 showing on a page, and 5 of them are 40A or greater, you would only have to click on those 5 to see the details you're interested in. (And I meant greater than or equal to 40A in my post, not greater than 40A).

Agreed 100%. It would be extremely useful to filter for high amp L2 stations. On a road trip those are the only ones I'm interested in, but they get lost in the noise of 30A stations.

PlugShare's Tesla Browser compatibility Update

PlugShare.com has increased the "functionality" of the site to work more smoothly with the ModelS, and has Tesla Friendly charging options already selected (Supercharger, HPWC's 14-50's and J1772's)

Last edited by a moderator: