Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PlugShare now optimized for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A possible request that I had suggested on another thread was for Plugshare to not just list amps, but also volts. As an example from one of my recent long roadtrips, we used a lot of Sun Country chargers that tend to be listed as 'CS90/80 amps'. If a charger is 80 amps/240 volts, you can actually get 80 km/hour charge with a twin charger. However, most industrial-type installs of Sun Country chargers tend to only be 200-ish volts, so it mean you can only get about 69 km/hour. That said, there are actually some examples of 80 amp Sun Country chargers that are either residential, or near-residential-type, than have proper 240 volts. For example there is a 'car cafe' restaurant/coffee shop in Trois-Riviers, PQ that has the 80/240 combo, which gave us the full 80 km/hour. I mostly mention it because if you are doing a longer road trip, the difference between 80 km/hour and 69 km/hour charge rate is huge. So, it would be great to know volts as a general rule.

Agreed 100%. It would be extremely useful to filter for high amp L2 stations. On a road trip those are the only ones I'm interested in, but they get lost in the noise of 30A stations.

Yes, this is by far the most important issue. One of the reasons I don't use PlugShare. (The other is the percentage of stations that are employee-only or simply don't exist.)

A possible request that I had suggested on another thread was for Plugshare to not just list amps, but also volts. As an example from one of my recent long roadtrips, we used a lot of Sun Country chargers that tend to be listed as 'CS90/80 amps'. If a charger is 80 amps/240 volts, you can actually get 80 km/hour charge with a twin charger. However, most industrial-type installs of Sun Country chargers tend to only be 200-ish volts, so it mean you can only get about 69 km/hour. That said, there are actually some examples of 80 amp Sun Country chargers that are either residential, or near-residential-type, than have proper 240 volts. For example there is a 'car cafe' restaurant/coffee shop in Trois-Riviers, PQ that has the 80/240 combo, which gave us the full 80 km/hour. I mostly mention it because if you are doing a longer road trip, the difference between 80 km/hour and 69 km/hour charge rate is huge. So, it would be great to know volts as a general rule.
Whilst I agree, it's a reasonable working assumption in the US that all chargers at commercial locations will be nominal 208 V, because larger business tend to have three-phase service, rather than the one-phase most of us have in our homes. The standard configuration for three-phase service is a wye-configuration off the transformer, which results in voltage of 120*sqrt(3)=208 V between any two legs.

Btw, when I was getting our chargers installed in my condo, the electrician mentioned it's not just that businesses happen to have 208V by choice, the electrical code requires 3-phase, thus 208V.

In the US, the electrical code doesn't *require* 3-phase, it's just a practical necessity for the size and scope of electrical service that comes to a particular building. Apartment complexes, condos, and commercial facilities are the most likely to have 208Y/120V offered. It would be odd if the CEC required it, but I can't say that it doesn't.

Agreed 100%. It would be extremely useful to filter for high amp L2 stations. On a road trip those are the only ones I'm interested in, but they get lost in the noise of 30A stations.
Yep. Before my ill-fated road trip, I had to do a lot of preplanning to find the high-amp stations, they're lost amidst the 30 amps (and 20 amps!) on plugshare.

Ideally both amps and volts would be listed, but I know that's a lot to ask people to note...

Since it doesn't have this much needed functionality yet, whenever i charge at a station listed on plug share I always leave a comment stating what I received for volts and amps.
You can also edit the description, too, so your comment doesn't get lost as it gets older. At least note if it's 208 vs 240V and it's max pilot signal...

This does not include the teslamotorsclub charger locations. I added my home and office since they are part of the club's locations but no integrated into Plugshare.

Shawn,

Yes, the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts Club Charging Network is a private network.

Most of our members are not comfortable with sharing their home charging sources with strangers. However, a few members have also joined the PlugShare network.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know we had such a thing. Where is this?

Florida Tesla Enthusiasts is a club comprised of permanent and part-time Florida residents who are also Tesla enthusiasts. Click on the link in my signature for more information.

Some of our members have joined a private network in which they have agreed to share their home and/or business charging sources with other participating traveling members. Currently we have 59 locations spread across Florida.

The information concerning this network is secured on TMC in a thread on our private discussion group.

Participating traveling members can access this information on their Model S browser or on a smartphone.

Larry

Mike: The databases have been consolidated. Recargo user and station data has been fully merged into the PlugShare database. If you notice discrepancies, please let us know.

Hi Lucas...I have my Tesla HPWC and Nema 14-50 listed on PlugShare and Recargo, and they are still showing up as two separate locations...Would you call that a discrepancy? Should they have been consolidated into one location? Let me know what you think, thanks :)

PlugShareMHID.jpg

I don't know if this is a new 5.9 feature because I hadn't tried the new PlugShare site on 5.8, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see the browser tell me that the web site wanted to use my location and wanted to know if it was okay. After allowing it, now the PlugShare site knows my exact location, so it looks like the built-in browser is now supporting some sort of location sharing. I tried going to maps.google.com and Waze to see if those worked and they didn't, so I wonder if the PlugShare folks know something others don't about getting location from a Model S. All I know is that it most definitely works! This is a great job on the part of PlugShare.

One thing to note when you are bookmarking the site, don't bookmark the initial login page (welcome.html). Just bookmark tesla.plugshare.com so that it doesn't ask you to log in every time you go back to the site from your bookmark.

A possible request that I had suggested on another thread was for Plugshare to not just list amps, but also volts.

I think it's very useful. I started to add the Voltage and max Ampere to the comment when I do a check-in at the charger. If everyone does it, Plugshare can put it in the official description. Otherwise they have no way of knowing really.