Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PlugShare now optimized for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for mentioning that. The beauty of PlugShare is that it partly a crowdsourced app. By editing station descriptions and updating with the correct information it really helps out the rest of the Tesla and EV community.

But that info only ends up in the description. While that's better than nothing, there's still no way to filter for stations above a specified charge rate like dsm363 suggested (and myself and multiple other people in this thread). For example we're traveling to Montreal next month. There's a couple of 70/80A chargers there and 50 or more 30A chargers. It's just not realistic to click on each one of 50 and read the comments to find the 2 that will make our trip worthwhile.

BTW, thank you for monitoring this thread and considering our comments. I've been sending suggestions to PlugShare for years and it seems like they just go to a black hole. I realize you come from Recargo which has a better reputation for responsiveness.

But that info only ends up in the description. While that's better than nothing, there's still no way to filter for stations above a specified charge rate like dsm363 suggested (and myself and multiple other people in this thread). For example we're traveling to Montreal next month. There's a couple of 70/80A chargers there and 50 or more 30A chargers. It's just not realistic to click on each one of 50 and read the comments to find the 2 that will make our trip worthwhile.

BTW, thank you for monitoring this thread and considering our comments. I've been sending suggestions to PlugShare for years and it seems like they just go to a black hole. I realize you come from Recargo which has a better reputation for responsiveness.

If amperage is added in the description you will be able to read it as soon as you click on a station icon and you will not have to scroll through comments. We realize that there is a lot of valuable information left within comments that we need to implement a better tracking system for. I will pass your suggestion for filtering by amperage along.

Recargo and PlugShare have merged. Recargo is still the parent company, but PlugShare is now the official source for locating charging stations and connecting with other members of the Tesla and EV communities. We are a start-up that is rapidly growing. There are many improvements, updates, and changes coming to PlugShare in the next few months. If you ever have any issues/feedback send an e-mail to [email protected] and I will either respond or pass it along to someone who can better help you.

While I love Plugshare on my phone, I avoid using it in my Tesla. It's so slow and laggy. It's super quick and responsive on my phone, but in the car it's just unusable. The pop up of a selected station has no scroll bar. I often can't read the full description or directions and there is no way to scroll down. It really needs to be integrated into the car's navigation system and have options like 'find stations on my route'.

While I love Plugshare on my phone, I avoid using it in my Tesla. It's so slow and laggy. It's super quick and responsive on my phone, but in the car it's just unusable. The pop up of a selected station has no scroll bar. I often can't read the full description or directions and there is no way to scroll down. It really needs to be integrated into the car's navigation system and have options like 'find stations on my route'.
We would love to have PlugShare integrated into the Nav system. So far, at this time, Tesla does not have any applications integrated. However, our Tesla optimized browser will navigate when opened. Unfortunately, we do not have any control over slow load time. Send Tesla and Elon some feedback about the need for PlugShare Nav integration.

I will pass your suggestion along about implementing a route planner that allows you to save chargers along your route.

If amperage is added in the description you will be able to read it as soon as you click on a station icon and you will not have to scroll through comments. We realize that there is a lot of valuable information left within comments that we need to implement a better tracking system for. I will pass your suggestion for filtering by amperage along.

In comments or description, it's not much different. Even if the amperage were always in the description, there's just no way anyone can be expected to click on 50+ icons to find the 2 that are 70/80A. There's no way to even keep track of which icons you already clicked on.

Thank you for impressing upon your developers that filtering for amperage (kW is better) is critically important. Feel free to give them our real-life example of our trip to Montreal where we had to give up on PlugShare and use another app.

I hope I'm not discouraging you with my feedback. I know you're working hard on new features. I'm only trying to help so I can actually use the site.

Jordin,

Having to click on a station to see if it's better than the zillions of 30A stations doesn't help. We need to be able to filter.

Pop quiz: where are the 70A charging stations in the Seattle area? There's one close to I-5, not at a Tesla Motors location, but PlugShare is basically useless for finding it, even though it's listed.

Now find all of them along I-5 from BC to Northern California. There are quite a few.

There are thousands of 30A stations, and they are fine for overnight charging, but Roadster and Model S owners need to be able to find the high-amp L2 stations for charging between driving segments.

Last edited:
In comments or description, it's not much different. Even if the amperage were always in the description, there's just no way anyone can be expected to click on 50+ icons to find the 2 that are 70/80A. There's no way to even keep track of which icons you already clicked on.

Thank you for impressing upon your developers that filtering for amperage (kW is better) is critically important. Feel free to give them our real-life example of our trip to Montreal where we had to give up on PlugShare and use another app.

I hope I'm not discouraging you with my feedback. I know you're working hard on new features. I'm only trying to help so I can actually use the site.

Not at all, we want your feedback good and bad, helps us to improve our product in the future. I will stress that filtering by kWh is the most important need based off feedback from the Tesla community. I can not give you an eta on when this will be implemented, but just know we are working on making these changes and improvements. Thanks!

Not at all, we want your feedback good and bad, helps us to improve our product in the future. I will stress that filtering by kWh is the most important need based off feedback from the Tesla community. I can not give you an eta on when this will be implemented, but just know we are working on making these changes and improvements. Thanks!
To be clear, this is not just a Tesla issue. Anyone with with 6.6 kW charger cares because 208V/30A is not delivering enough power to charge at their maximum rate. This includes thousands of Leaf owners. I had this discussion with Nick Wild in April.

To be clear, this is not just a Tesla issue. Anyone with with 6.6 kW charger cares because 208V/30A is not delivering enough power to charge at their maximum rate. This includes thousands of Leaf owners. I had this discussion with Nick Wild in April.

I understand this is an issue outside of just Tesla drivers. I gather feedback from all EV drivers. This forum is for the Tesla community and I am gaining feedback on what to implement for our tesla optimized system. Some of these suggestions, of course, do carry over to all areas of PlugShare: Android, iOS, and web.

208V*30A=6.24kW. Is that 5% difference in charging rate compared to 6.6kW something that a Leaf owner would notice?

208V*30A=6.24kW. Is that 5% difference in charging rate compared to 6.6kW something that a Leaf owner would notice?
I believe the 6.6 kW is the output level of the on-board charger. The 3.3 kW charger draws more than 3.3 kW, about 3.6 kW in my experience. I assume the same is true for the 6.6 kW, although I haven't measured it.

Many charging stations on 208V nominal circuit deliver less. 200V is pretty typical. I've seen as low as 187V. The Blink network has derated their stations to 24A. 200V/24A is 4.8 kW. If a 6.6 kW charger draws 7 kW, then charging at 200V/24A is down 42% from maximum charge rate.

The problem for Leaf owners is that the station voltage and current limit aren't visible, so they really need this info from the charging station map. Many probably don't even realize they are being ripped off at low-power stations.

There are regulations in the works to make it mandatory to label stations with their maximum power output. Having the charging station maps get ahead of this would be a big help to the broad EV community.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand this is an issue outside of just Tesla drivers. I gather feedback from all EV drivers. This forum is for the Tesla community and I am gaining feedback on what to implement for our tesla optimized system. Some of these suggestions, of course, do carry over to all areas of PlugShare: Android, iOS, and web.
When you say "Tesla optimized" do you mean the special Model S version of the web site? Don't forget about Roadster owners! Please don't assume that Tesla equals Model S.

I believe the 6.6 kW is the output level of the on-board charger. The 3.3 kW charger draws more than 3.3 kW, about 3.6 kW in my experience.
The 13+ LEAF with the 6.6 kW onboard charger pulls less than 30A on 240V, around 27-28A I believe. It's actually rated at 6.0 kW DC output. The 3.3 kW charger on the '11-12 will pull 3.8 kW on 240V (16A). I think it will pull a few more amps on 208V, but not more than 18? I don't know how the '13+ 3.3kW LEAF behaves, but it's probably similar.

So Nissan actually used the output rating for some reason the 3.3 kW charger and the input rating for the 6.6 kW charger.

The problem for Leaf owners is that the station voltage and current limit aren't visible, so they really need this info from the charging station map...
In some LEAF owner/forum meetings with Nissan engineers I directly asked for such a readout to be shown in the car. Years have elapsed and still nothing, so I don't think they see the general need.
I recall seeing somewhere that the car "knows" these values, just doesn't display it to the user.

In some LEAF owner/forum meetings with Nissan engineers I directly asked for such a readout to be shown in the car. Years have elapsed and still nothing, so I don't think they see the general need.
I recall seeing somewhere that the car "knows" these values, just doesn't display it to the user.
Yeah, Plug In America folks made a bunch of suggestions, including that one, before the Leaf was even released. Nissan thought the GOM was all drivers needed. They have added a percent SOC display. Maybe we'll get the rest eventually.

The car does indeed know these sorts of values. You can get pack volts and amps (in and out) from Gary Giddings' SOC meter. I'm not sure if volts/amps in from the station are on the bus, but I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't. They are just cleverly hidden from the driver.

When you say "Tesla optimized" do you mean the special Model S version of the web site? Don't forget about Roadster owners! Please don't assume that Tesla equals Model S.

Of course I do not assume that Tesla equals Model S. This is a thread about how 'PlugShare is now optimized for the Model S'. So, when I refer to Tesla in this thread I am referring to Model S drivers that can use our new optimized system.

Hi Jordin

Can you please add a option to create charging providers
Where we can put information on :
contact (phone, e-mail, website, address )
Pricing (list pricing options)
payment (member cars, credit card, phone,...)
Charging group (if member cars can be used on other networks)

And then make it possible to link charging station with providers
So we can select which provider we want to show on the map

Also can you please add some of the European connectors, as they are very common
CCE RED 16a (11Kw)
CCE BLUE 32a (7Kw)

Hi Jordin

Can you please add a option to create charging providers
Where we can put information on :
contact (phone, e-mail, website, address )
Pricing (list pricing options)
payment (member cars, credit card, phone,...)
Charging group (if member cars can be used on other networks)

And then make it possible to link charging station with providers
So we can select which provider we want to show on the map

There are a lot of features within our app and website that may not be in the Tesla optimized version. Plugincars.com has guides about charging station networks with contact information provided. Right now in the Tesla optimized browser you are unable to add new stations. However, you can still add new stations through the mobile app, PlugShare.com, or send an e-mail to [email protected] with any updates or suggestions.

Right now at the bottom of plugshare.com, you can click on charging networks to filter out the map. We are slowly integrating features between all of our different apps.

Best,

Jordin