TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plymouth, NC Supercharger Location?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by doctrewho, Oct 7, 2013.

1. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

2. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Looking at the map, Williamston area at one of those shopping centers near the Hwy 64- Hwy 17 interchange might make more sense to catch the North/South beach traffic. Either of those locations are pretty close to the rumored Rocky Mount supercharger and I wouldn't expect any action there for a few months. I wonder how those locations compare in "off the beaten path" factor to other Superchargers nationally?

3. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

No sign of a supercharger started in Plymouth yet.

4. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Checked around Williamston and didn't see signs of one there either.

5. btil

btil New Member

I was in Raleigh last week test driving at their Retail location and David, Tesla's sales representative mentioned to me that Plymouth was coming, and another Supercharger location would be added either before Charlotte or either right after. He also stated a service center will open in Charlotte in the near future. I live out of Winston Salem so that's was great news to hear. Just thought I would share!

6. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Thanks for the update. The more Superchargers the better, but I still think Plymouth is a really strange location for one. Maybe Elon is planning to end up in Nags Head or Okracoke for his cross country trip?

7. smusson

smusson New Member

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
    Would they start the Plymouth location before the next NC location? If you look at the planned map, it looks like somewhere around the intersection of I-95 and I-74 (Lumberton?).... With Elon tweeting about the completion of the I-95 corridor, seems like it would make more sense.

Plus it would help me in my goal to drive to Charleston!

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Anyone been around Plymouth lately? Seems like with Lumberton and Savannah being almost done, there should be something going on in Plymouth by now.

9. C.Ford

C.Ford Member

I cruised through Plymouth yesterday checking parking lots along 64 from the eastern edge of town to Williamston. I saw no definitive construction recognizable as a charging station. However, at the edge of town there is a major remodel of a rest area/visitor center and out front there was a sign for an industrial electrical contractor company. There were a lot of flags and roped of areas, but it was hard to make sense of what was going on where. It may make more sense to put a charger here with restrooms and picnic tables than in a Piggly Wiggly parking lot. I'll keep an eye out for changes.

10. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

C.Ford, thanks for the recon work! Is the rest area right off of 64?

11. C.Ford

C.Ford Member

pgiralt, the rest area is on 64, on the eastern side of town past Washington County Hospital and the Rehab center. It is not marked as a rest area on Google Maps just looked for the looped road around what looks like a park.

12. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

From the description, that sounds like this spot.

Google Maps

Let's keep an eye on that site, shall we? :)

13. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Certainly looks like a possibility. Not a whole lot of parking spaces, but I suspect this will be a 4 stall location anyway.

14. jstrickland

jstrickland New Member

15. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

The Tesla supercharger page for Plymouth, NC is now under construction! It's giving me the "Sign into Tesla" redirect screen. Construction on the supercharger site must be close!

Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I have a very reliable source that says Plumouth is complete and Tesla took a Model S recently to test it. Unfortunately I have no idea where it actually is, but it's complete.

17. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Sounds like an exploratory trip is in order.

18. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Took a trip down to Plymouth today; the SC definitely wasn't at the mini rest area... while there was plenty of construction going on there, it apparently wasn't open for business (parking lot and entrance not plowed), so about got stuck there making a loop through while the construction workers gawked. :redface:

On the way back through town, drove around a few strip malls before arriving at the other end of town, and on a whim pulled into the Holiday Inn Express to see if it might be there. Turns out, it was! :cool:

Not much to do there, only thing nearby is a Bojangles fast food restaurant and a credit union. Charger worked fine!

Map of the area: 35.850609,-76.756162 - Google Maps

Photo near the hotel parking lot entrance, SC in the distant right background:
    IMG_2666.JPG

View from the end of the row:
    IMG_2663.jpg

View from the hotel side entrance:
    IMG_2662.JPG

19. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Thanks for the pics! Wow 8 spots, I never thought they'd put that many there for this location.

20. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Nice find! Thanks for the scouting trip. This marks the end of the Coming Soon NC superchargers. Now need to start figuring out where that Asheville area one is going to be. :)