Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PMAC vs induction motor for model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I remember the discussion on this. All "regen to a stop" in EVs actually consume power at the lowest rpm. Tesla can theoretically do it if they want it to, nothing to do with the motor type.

Regen braking to stop? (similar to BMW i3)

Is there any definitive proof that the Bolt and BMW consume power when coming to a full stop without the user applying brakes? I read a bunch of speculation, but no one who actually knew anything chimed in.

Is there any definitive proof that the Bolt and BMW consume power when coming to a full stop without the user applying brakes? I read a bunch of speculation, but no one who actually knew anything chimed in.
No empirical tests of actual power consumed, but there are accounts of BMW "cheating" by blending in friction brakes.

This article discusses some control strategies and says that consuming power to achieve braking is called "plug braking". It's used when the speeds are so slow that regenerative braking can't slow the car enough.
http://www.emo.org.tr/ekler/ca3fd7ae87b3712_ek.pdf

Last edited:
Well, during the Motor Trend Model 3 test drive with Franz von Holzhausen they asked if the Model 3 shares the same drive train with the Model S and Model X to which Franz responded, that they've designed a completely new drive train for the Model 3. Not saying this is any confirmation but if it used the same architecture then there would be no reason to say what he said during the interview.

Last edited:
Well, during the Motor Trend Model 3 test drive with Franz von Holzhausen they asked if the Model 3 shares the same drive train with the Model S and Model X to which Franz responded, that they've designed a completely new drive train for the Model 3. Not saying this is any confirmation but if it used the same architecture then there would be no reason to say what he said during the interview.

This answer is correct and appropriate whether they designed a new third generation induction motor or a completely unrelated PMAC motor - either way, it's not the same motor used in the S/X, so I don't see this as evidence for a switch to PMAC or for retaining induction.

www3 is legit; lots of big websites do this.

Still could be an error in the selection menu, but the typo isn't found in the Bolt's CSRI, so it looks like Tesla or the EPA--whoever fills out the form--meant to write "permanent", as none of those letters appear in "induction" besides the "n" and "t".

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and Saghost
Odd... I would be interested in what drove that choice... AC induction motors are so ubiquitous; It's a proven technology that's efficient and robust. It would appear that PM motors are slightly more efficient and require less cooling especially from the rotor since there's no current there with a PM rotor. I would be concerned about the longevity of a PM rotor since PMs can be rather brittle compared to copper... I wonder if this is why the 3 no longer has an unlimited mile warranty...

So much for 'Tesla doesn't use rare earth metals' :( Although 'rare earths' aren't really 'rare'. IIRC cobalt for the battery is more scarce than any rare earth metal.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

The Rare Earthers will return.

I think the jury is still out if the 3 truly does have PM motors. Yes, we know it was listed in the EPA form, but as others have stated, there can be and has been errors in those forms. Or did I miss some more info that was able to confirm without a doubt?

I think the jury is still out if the 3 truly does have PM motors. Yes, we know it was listed in the EPA form, but as others have stated, there can be and has been errors in those forms. Or did I miss some more info that was able to confirm without a doubt?
Believe someone tweeted Elon, but don't believe a response was given. There are multiple publications that says the Model 3 has induction motors, but they may have simply assumed it would be the same as Model S. So far I don't believe there is an official statement from Tesla yet.