Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PMY Mountain Pass bearings, coilovers and traction arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed Mountain Pass Performance's solid lower control arm bearings, comfort coilovers and rear camber arms onto my PMY. I've only had a couple weeks worth of testing everything out, but the driving experience is vastly improved so far.

I know there are numerous reviews out there for the coilovers, but haven't seen any reviews on the solid control arm bearings (for the model Y, at least). In talking with Jesse at MPP he noted this was a mod that would make the biggest difference in the steering response, and he was right on. It's hard to explain, but makes the steering feel more direct, sharp, and crisp. Note that these are for sale under the PM3 section on MPP, and not under the PMY.

I had a heck of a time (in Marietta, GA) finding a shop that would price coilover and bearing install, so finally just tore into it myself. I got a lot of folks that simply didn't want to touch a Tesla (even after explaining similar suspension setup to all the other cars they work on), or just got some astronomical numbers from those that would give an estimate ($2k+).

I purchased a shop press from Northern Tool and used the optional pressing tools that come with the bearings from MPP. I didn't have any experience with a press, but after a few YouTube videos and a few beers found it pretty straight forward.

Huge shout-out to Tesla Mark (not sure his user name on here) for the very thorough YouTube install video, and of course Jesse and @MountainPass for the awesome products.
Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• 20220313_053948.jpg
    20220313_053948.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 20220306_005118.jpg
    20220306_005118.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 254
  • 20220226_140318.jpg
    20220226_140318.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 20220305_202212.jpg
    20220305_202212.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 20220306_141625.jpg
    20220306_141625.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 306
cbritton3, thanks for the writeup! Can you share how you decided on the parts you chose and not the other MPP parts? For the front, you decided to only install the Solid front lower control arm bearings... but not the Corkscrew upper control arms. For the rear, you decided to only install the rear camber arms... but not the toe arms or the traction arms. I want the same setup and would really like to hear your thought process. Thank you in advance!

cbritton3, thanks for the writeup! Can you share how you decided on the parts you chose and not the other MPP parts? For the front, you decided to only install the Solid front lower control arm bearings... but not the Corkscrew upper control arms. For the rear, you decided to only install the rear camber arms... but not the toe arms or the traction arms. I want the same setup and would really like to hear your thought process. Thank you in advance!
I had previously settled on the MPP comfort coilovers, and just reached out to MPP on what they suggested. I'm not planning on any track days or anything like that, so Jesse steered me towards these parts for the best bang for my buck.
Cheers,
Chris

I like the height you set it at. How much lower did you set the height? Is that the recommended MPP settings for height? Just want to know since I have a set of MPP coilovers going on mine at the end of the month.
I think I went 10mm below the MPP recommendations, both front and rear. The rear springs seemed to settle lower after a week or so of driving around too.

Attachments

• 20220402_160634.jpg
    20220402_160634.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: pandam3
I think I went 10mm below the MPP recommendations, both front and rear. The rear springs seemed to settle lower after a week or so of driving around too.

My car is currently set at 1.5" lower (MPP spec) and my MPP upper front control arms are notching themselfs on the car. So you might want to keep a eye on that if you are lower (might not be a issue with stock arms)

I recently installed Mountain Pass Performance's solid lower control arm bearings, comfort coilovers and rear camber arms onto my PMY. I've only had a couple weeks worth of testing everything out, but the driving experience is vastly improved so far.

I know there are numerous reviews out there for the coilovers, but haven't seen any reviews on the solid control arm bearings (for the model Y, at least). In talking with Jesse at MPP he noted this was a mod that would make the biggest difference in the steering response, and he was right on. It's hard to explain, but makes the steering feel more direct, sharp, and crisp. Note that these are for sale under the PM3 section on MPP, and not under the PMY.

I had a heck of a time (in Marietta, GA) finding a shop that would price coilover and bearing install, so finally just tore into it myself. I got a lot of folks that simply didn't want to touch a Tesla (even after explaining similar suspension setup to all the other cars they work on), or just got some astronomical numbers from those that would give an estimate ($2k+).

I purchased a shop press from Northern Tool and used the optional pressing tools that come with the bearings from MPP. I didn't have any experience with a press, but after a few YouTube videos and a few beers found it pretty straight forward.

Huge shout-out to Tesla Mark (not sure his user name on here) for the very thorough YouTube install video, and of course Jesse and @MountainPass for the awesome products.
Cheers,
Chris
This looks perfect. 🙌

Here was my install.

Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers, + (almost) the full suite of Mountain Pass Suspension Parts, Installed by European Auto Source on a Model Y P

Just my $0.02 after having them on for a long time, I didn't have my car nearly as low as yours, and I absolutely wrecked my rocker trim panels just from going over bumps at too high of speed. Really unenjoyable. I ended up raising the car, softening the suspension, and I'm much happier now. Still need to replace the rocker panels, but no further damage since then.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and tm1v2
Here was my install.

Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers, + (almost) the full suite of Mountain Pass Suspension Parts, Installed by European Auto Source on a Model Y P

Just my $0.02 after having them on for a long time, I didn't have my car nearly as low as yours, and I absolutely wrecked my rocker trim panels just from going over bumps at too high of speed. Really unenjoyable. I ended up raising the car, softening the suspension, and I'm much happier now. Still need to replace the rocker panels, but no further damage since then.