Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PNW Snow reports (Seattle)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all. With this year's version of Snowmaggedon, wondering how your well your vehicles are doing in this white stuff specifically around the greater Seattle area since we have so many dang hills around here. I'm super close to getting my model Y and want to get as much insight from owners ahead of time.

Greetings all. With this year's version of Snowmaggedon, wondering how your well your vehicles are doing in this white stuff specifically around the greater Seattle area since we have so many dang hills around here. I'm super close to getting my model Y and want to get as much insight from owners ahead of time.
Wonderfully. Wife’s Model Y performance has 20” wheels with Michelin X-Ice tires for Winter and have been across country and out today, works great. Unlike Model S and X, the AWD system in Y and 3 biases rear wheels by default. Different feel and would prefer snow mods with front drive bias.

one more recommendation (beyond actual winter tires) is get rear door wheel arch protective film. Model Y Paint Protection Film

Wonderfully. Wife’s Model Y performance has 20” wheels with Michelin X-Ice tires for Winter and have been across country and out today, works great. Unlike Model S and X, the AWD system in Y and 3 biases rear wheels by default. Different feel and would prefer snow mods with front drive bias.

one more recommendation (beyond actual winter tires) is get rear door wheel arch protective film. Model Y Paint Protection Film
Thanks so much for the info. I plan to have a full wrap on the car with PPF. You mentioned the winter tires, so do you just swap them out on the regular wheels for change of season or you have a complete set wheels & tires?

Reactions: MikeBur
I previously had a Honda Ridgeline that drove amazing in deep snow. I took my Y out on Friday, with about 4 to 6 inch's of snow on our roads. I felt pretty confident even with the current, stock 19" Continental ProContact RX's. I pressed the accelerator down and while the Y would slide just a little bit, the traction control immediately kicked in and it drove great.

Yesterday, we had about 20 inches of snow, and I stayed home. However, 1. Being ex-military having driven in Germany and Italy, and always being the neighbor who likes the challenge of driving in snow, and also being very wise about driving in snow, I have absolutely no worries driving in deep snow, it's just I don't trust other drivers, who just believe they can still drive 45 mph down our road. 2. I definitely would have gone out, if I had the snow tires I wanted. 3. I have some 18" wheels I plan on putting on this spring, and then my OEM 19" inch wheels will have dedicated winter or all weather tires on the Y.

I just had Xpel clear PPF full-front end, side fenders, mirrors, and I had them cut custom pieces for the rear wheel arches, installed. Tesla's PPF pieces, didn't seem like they would cover as much as I wanted and my Y was dirty from the drive to the installer, so I was able to show him exactly where I wanted the film.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
This was my first winter with my X. I sold my Tahoe when I bought her in July, so I had a pretty high bar to meet when it comes to handling snowy roads. At my house in Oly, we got 16". I warmed her up and dug her out so I could get in. My driveway is about 100 yard of gravel, and with the suspension on high, she pushed through it like there was nothing in her way. I do have Hakkapeliitta R3's on her as well.

Out onto the main roads the traction control is pretty amazing. You can feel the X making adjustments on the fly when things start to slip. I am so used to needing to be in more control, it took me a while to relax and let the car do it's own thing.

The X exceeded all of my expectations this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur and Jamezam
Thanks so much for the info. I plan to have a full wrap on the car with PPF. You mentioned the winter tires, so do you just swap them out on the regular wheels for change of season or you have a complete set wheels & tires?
Yes, performance Y comes with summer tires which are hard as hockey pucks in winter and grip as well too ;)

If you get a Model Y non-performance, then all 4 wheels are the same size and you could just buy winter tires at, say, Costco or Les Schwab.
For performance Y, you can’t get winter tires to match rear, wider, wheels so you have to get new wheels. Ideally you could pick up set of bare Gemini wheels cheap and find tires to fit, I’d guesstimate about 2500 with the additional tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS)
Alternatively, pick up set of wheels/tires from tesla or, as I did, tsportline:
19” Tesla Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package
20” Tsportline: Tesla Model Y Wheels-20" TSS Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

I previously had a Honda Ridgeline that drove amazing in deep snow. I took my Y out on Friday, with about 4 to 6 inch's of snow on our roads. I felt pretty confident even with the current, stock 19" Continental ProContact RX's. I pressed the accelerator down and while the Y would slide just a little bit, the traction control immediately kicked in and it drove great.

Yesterday, we had about 20 inches of snow, and I stayed home. However, 1. Being ex-military having driven in Germany and Italy, and always being the neighbor who likes the challenge of driving in snow, and also being very wise about driving in snow, I have absolutely no worries driving in deep snow, it's just I don't trust other drivers, who just believe they can still drive 45 mph down our road. 2. I definitely would have gone out, if I had the snow tires I wanted. 3. I have some 18" wheels I plan on putting on this spring, and then my OEM 19" inch wheels will have dedicated winter or all weather tires on the Y.

I just had Xpel clear PPF full-front end, side fenders, mirrors, and I had them cut custom pieces for the rear wheel arches, installed. Tesla's PPF pieces, didn't seem like they would cover as much as I wanted and my Y was dirty from the drive to the installer, so I was able to show him exactly where I wanted the film.
The traction control kicking in is the imbalance moving from rear slipping to front engages, it’s a few tenths of second though much more noticeable than S or X.

re. Other drivers with 4/AWD I liken it to them not understanding 4WD doesn’t mean 4 wheel Stop. With the great traction control on Teslas it’s easy to forget the increased mass as it seems to grip well under acceleration ;-)

Re. 18 wheels, m3 wheels don’t fit as is. 19” is minimum I’m aware of

This was my first winter with my X. I sold my Tahoe when I bought her in July, so I had a pretty high bar to meet when it comes to handling snowy roads. At my house in Oly, we got 16". I warmed her up and dug her out so I could get in. My driveway is about 100 yard of gravel, and with the suspension on high, she pushed through it like there was nothing in her way. I do have Hakkapeliitta R3's on her as well.

Out onto the main roads the traction control is pretty amazing. You can feel the X making adjustments on the fly when things start to slip. I am so used to needing to be in more control, it took me a while to relax and let the car do it's own thing.

The X exceeded all of my expectations this weekend.
OP was asking re Y, though 100% agree re X. Said multiple times previously the responsiveness of traction control is a major under appreciated advantage of Teslas

OP was asking re Y, though 100% agree re X. Said multiple times previously the responsiveness of traction control is a major under appreciated advantage of Teslas

I didn't read the OP as a must have a Y to reply.

wondering how your well your vehicles are doing in this white stuff specifically around the greater Seattle area since we have so many dang hills around here.

I didn't read the OP as a must have a Y to reply.
True, though you missed the other sentence:
“I'm super close to getting my model Y and want to get as much insight from owners ahead of time.”
Can be read either way, sorry if you think me saying I agree with your assessment was incorrect....

edit: ah, ok. Reread. We’re agreeing on topic, just not that my assessment this was directed to feedback on Y. Fine either way

Last edited:
Reactions: DSolie
It’s always about having the right shoes first and foremost, regardless of specific car.
We didn’t get nearly the amt of snow (vs ice :() down here in PDX, but with Hakka R2s on my P85D, I had zero issues getting around.
I did need to constantly remind the car to stay in High suspension mode after I got over 35mph though if I wanted to avoid being a snow plow for others. :)
Speaking specifically to the traction control, when trying to re-enter my garage, there was a ton of slippage due the ice on top of the snow. Never heard the little buzz before letting me know the wheels were spinning. After a few secs of slippage, the DUs stopped. I had to do the rocking/reverse dance a few times and gunning it a bit to get back in.