Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PO 75D differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DB1964

Dec 28, 2018
USA
Why are the 2016 75D have different range and 0 to 60 times?

Some say 0 - 60 4.2 seconds and range 259 miles while most say 0 - 60 5.5 Seconds and range of 234 a few have a 0 - 60 of 5.2? How can I be sure to get the faster car and more range?

upload_2018-12-28_15-15-9.png

upload_2018-12-28_15-15-26.png

Some time ago, Tesla released new software that would "uncork" many of the 75 S and X models. Usually needed to take your car in to have it plugged into the Service centers computer. Tesla did not charge for this service. Cars were much faster after this upgrade.

There was a list of serial numbers that were qualifies for the upgrade. Owners needed to call in to see if theirs was on the list, then take it in.

Tesla's website just does not properly list specs. For a period of time, they had 75D doing 3.3 0-60 and coming with a 4 year 100k mile warranty which clearly wasn't true.

Most refresh fascia 75Ds will be able to be uncorked. There is a certain field that the tech checks to ensure is 3 or greater to know whether uncork will stick. I think all CPOs come battery unlocked and uncorked now.

99% of all facelift S75D’s can be uncorked. The VIN list that Tesla released was woefully wrong/inaccurate. The uncorking reduced the 0-60 from 5.2 to 4.2 seconds. My VIN wasn’t on the list but I pushed back and the Service Centre ran the diagnostic check and hey presto the car could and was uncorked.

I would ask them to put in writing that the car has been uncorked before you buy.

To my knowledge there should be no difference in range so not sure about the figures quoted and don’t want to guess.

Initially there were VIN checks to see if specific 75Ds were eligible for uncorking but later all 75Ds were eligible for uncorking as were 60Ds that were upgraded to 75Ds.

The official 0-60 times after uncorking is 4.2 seconds. There were people that claimed they’d measured quicker times, one was 3.9 seconds. Tesla claims 4.2 seconds. I believe that is with their Motor Trend bogus 1 foot rollout measurement though, so the real 0-60 time is somewhere between 3.9 and 4.4 seconds.

It feels very quick. Overall it’s a joy to drive.

Check to see if the car you are considering has been uncorked, if so it’s the 4.2 second car.

The range for the S75D with 19” rims is officially 259 miles. There will be some minor loss of range with use. The car with 21” rims will have slightly less range.

That car with the lower range may have been a 60D that has been upgraded. It is the same battery, there was a just software limit on the 60Ds. If it was a 60D the listing may be quoting the original range before the upgrade to the 75D. On the good side, if it was a 60D the battery would have not have been charged to 100% while it was a 60D. 100% charges are a little harder on the battery.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: DJP31 and NoirMS