TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poacher turned gamekeeper

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, Sep 27, 2020.

1. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

#1 VanillaAir_UK, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    A few weeks back, moderators at TMC obviously discovered that I had too much time on my hands and approached me asking if I would like to become a moderator for the UK and Ireland section. After seeking a bit more clarification as to what the role entailed and getting over the disappointment that I was not eligible for a company car, I accepted the role.

Having completed my extensive training course, a few days ago I joined the small group of moderators responsible for keeping this part of the forum a friendly and informative place to visit.

This post is not meant to be from an anonymous tyrant who will be 'on your case' if you overstep the mark. Far from it. As as a former poacher having been (too) active for a while now, not only do I want to maintain it to be the same friendly and informative place that it appears to have always been, I want it to be a better and more consistent place to be.

I appear to be the only active moderator frequenting these shores several times a day, as a result, I am likely to be more proactive in correcting transgressions rather than reacting on reports. My primary role is to uphold the Terms of Service. Please read them if you have not already done so.

If you spot something that you feel uncomfortable or aggrieved with, please continue to raise your concern by reporting it. If you want a less formal clarification, contact me directly via PM. I have already and will continue to seek clarification on some policies. It is clear that the part where the line is crossed may be interpreted and enforced differently now, but I intend to keep things fair, consistent and workable. Whilst I hope to achieve this with a light touch, I do have a hit list of items which may start being enforced slightly differently to they have been until now.

Finally, please accept that I am only human. Mistakes and inconsistencies may occur, transgressions may be missed or not acted upon promptly. I apologies in advance for that. My personal posts will also continue to reflect my own personal opinion, so every bit the poacher that I was previously.

-Ian

• Like x 29
  2. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

Well volunteered!

In danger of being a 4 year old that has learned to ask questions:

How many UK mods are there? Do you get to control sticky threads? Is there anyway to avoid the yanks blundering in to foreign threads? Can you change my Username- it was fine 12 months ago but I’m not so green anymore.

3. Dilly

Dilly Active Member

Congratulations. Shame there’s no company car. Still there must be a hi-vis jacket and some PPE surely!
    Not to mention early access to 4D beta’s :D

4. Medved_77

Medved_77 TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD

Thank you @VanillaAir_UK.

Given the balance and reasoning you convey in your postings I think your role as mod will be a great asset to this forum.

• Like x 2
  5. GRiLLA

GRiLLA Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 5
  6. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

Though now there will be a lot less posts disagreeing with you. Well not for very long anyway....

• Funny x 2
  7. VanillaAir_UK

every bit the poacher that I was previously ;)

8. VanillaAir_UK

9. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

Morning Sir.

I’m looking for a cap-doffing emoji. o_O

Seriously, great news Ian.

• Like x 1
  10. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

23 minutes response. Not bad...(!) Thanks for the reply.

re: sticky suggestions: maybe make Mr Miserable Happy by making his ‘movements’ thread sticky (testing your censorship here)
    Premium Connectivity?
    Suppliers & Tariffs?
    Octopus: Agile & Go?
    Insurance?

Newcomers pop up and start the same old thread. Might just help them find the answer more easily.

• Like x 2
  11. Medved_77

Medved_77 TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD

12. Gatsojon

Gatsojon Member

Congratulations, I think!
    All being well you’ll have an easy time of it. It always feels a friendly and helpful place to me.

13. LongRanger

LongRanger Active Member

Iron Fist or Velvet Slipper ?

What I like about it here is unlike the Tesla website forum, people actually listen and learn from each other, it’s a decent place to be.

• Like x 1
  14. Sparkeur

Sparkeur Member

Keeping the UKI forum relevant to these shores is on my hit list.

As a Brit-abroad in France who drives a left-hand M3 but who (in normal times) is also in the UK reasonably regularly, I wonder if I may continue to have une petite exemption from time-to-time. Three reasons (excuses), the software and updates are pretty much the same across Europe, I am able to perhaps provide a bit of assistance to Brit Tesla drivers transiting or visiting France and lastly, there's very few people on the French forum...and I'm lonely:(

Too needy....?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  15. Beady3647

Beady3647 Member

Many congratulations, I'm sure you will make a difficult job look easy!:oops::rolleyes:

Totally agree with LongRanger about the quality and constructive method of the site.

Good luck!:cool:

16. LongRanger

LongRanger Active Member

@Sparkeur pop over from time to time and we’ll all share some Burgundy and catering packs of Dairy Lea Dunkables in the true spirit of Brexit.

• Funny x 3
  17. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

YOU ARE RIGHT I AM VERY SORRY IT WAS WRONG OF ME TO SUGGEST SUCH A THING. I AM VERY HAPPY TO HAVE SUCH A GREAT AND DESERVING PERSON AS A MODERATOR

SIGNED

JASON71

• Funny x 2
  18. Obliter8

Obliter8 Member

Well deserved! As said above, it would be great if we had some consolidated posts on common questions?

• Like x 1
  19. VanillaAir_UK

If I knew how to do it, you would be up for a permanent ban for shouting :D

joking...

• Funny x 1
  20. VanillaAir_UK

Duplicate posts (within a reasonable period) are another one on my hit list if thats what you mean