Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the forum and while I can find people asking this, nobody seems to have posted an answer.

The door pocket lights were removed from the 2020 Model 3, but - is the wiring still in the door? Same connectors as the other lights or different?

I have a 2020 LR AWD manufactured (early) December 2019.

&& While I'm doing a new thread - general thanks to everyone on the forums for their knowledge and insight; I was browsing, learning, and planning long before I got mine thanks to everyone's participation here (c:

If you look at the underside of the door handles (above the pockets), behind the bolt holding the thing to the door there’s a small opening maybe 1/2cm by 2cm. On older Model 3s, there was a light here that would illuminate the pocket. On the 2020s, this light was removed. but the slot is still there and some have theorized the wiring is still in the door too.

I posted this on another thread. Here is a quick iphone pic of the pocket light with led/wiring of my front door ('20 LR AWD). The LED lights are in all door pockets.

IMG_0911.jpeg

I'm not sure why they aren't enabled. My only guess is that they will get a independent ambient software switch at some point.

Oh wow didn't expect anyone to actually yoink their door apart for this, thank you!

Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.
My door panel was never on all the way so I had to pop it back on, mine is the SR+ ,AWD could be different.
If you take the one screw out near where the light is if i remember correctly that little panel can pop off without taking the whole door off.

• Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
Looks like all the hardware is still there, wonder what the reasoning for 'disabling' the lights was. Somebody tweet Elon so we can get to the bottom of this lol.

With the wires being physically cut, it almost seems like the actual LED board has a problem and might be shorting out or something.

If you open the door panel, you can found the pocket door light wire cutoff and taped over.... Measured 0,036V !
Need to reactivated it, maybe with an update, ask my SC for that but nobody know !

Of course you had the door opened. Do you checked if the current is shut off when you close the door or you close the car? In that case they could be used to add a Led, isn't it?

Confirmed yesterday with the door panel removed, using a 12V motorcycle battery and jumpers the hardware is there and operable. Mine actually have a full set of wires and male/female plugs mated just no juice to power them. Assuming software shut off related. I actually tapped the power from the puddle light and ran it to the pocket light. Now when the door is open both illuminate. I decided to do it this way so they are not on while driving, The footwell LED's I powered up are more than enough light while driving. I am going to do the other two this weekend. I will post pictures of which harness goes to the pocket light.