Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pod Point installed today - they were excellent!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does podpoint do a long tethered version (7m ish) and if so, is the case designed to coil the lead around it. What then would be the dimeter at back of unit - brick sizes would do. I want to put our wall connector on a wall return at side of garage door, so got 1-1/2 bricks to actually mount the unit on - don't mind an overlap for the front. iirc when I looked at podpoint, it was >30 cm but that looks to be max size.

Does podpoint do a long tethered version (7m ish) and if so, is the case designed to coil the lead around it. What then would be the dimeter at back of unit - brick sizes would do. I want to put our wall connector on a wall return at side of garage door, so got 1-1/2 bricks to actually mount the unit on - don't mind an overlap for the front. iirc when I looked at podpoint, it was >30 cm but that looks to be max size.

Yeah they do a tethered version, but I wanted the option of going 'non car specific' because I plan on getting an electric motorcycle at some point.

As for dimensions and fitting, I'd recommend speaking to podpoint directly - send them a photo and see what they say.

(I don't want to offer you advice and then it all be wrong! )

Reactions: MrBadger and navt
I’ve been planning on Pod Point myself . My fuse box is on the other side of my house from where cars are parked . Is this going to cause a problem? Looks like some very thick black cables go from Pod Point to fuse box which could look a bit ugly if they have to run the length of my house ?....

I have pod point coming next Wednesday- the next step is round the corner!
I support your view- so far the communication and organisation from pod point has been very good. Their website said 15 days to get the OLEV docs sorted. In reality I uploaded the form and a copy of my reservation and it was done in a day.
Also they seem to be really flexible on timing, I had to reschedule their initial appointment but after a couple of emails (and then a phone call from them) it was all sorted.

I’ve been planning on Pod Point myself . My fuse box is on the other side of my house from where cars are parked . Is this going to cause a problem? Looks like some very thick black cables go from Pod Point to fuse box which could look a bit ugly if they have to run the length of my house ?....
Is your meter on the outside of the house? I got a pod-point last year and they wired it straight into the metre box. My house is only 5 years old though so may be different.

The main contractor in NI is Baird Electrical. They are very good, but can take a while to get to you as they seem to be the only contractor for the whole of NI for pod-point.

pod-point.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I don't mean to p*** on anyone's party, but where I live, (but maybe not where PistonsDead lives) it is a requirement that if more than one consumer unit is connected to a main fuse, a single point of disconnection must be provided so that all the consumer units can be isolated from the supply by flipping one switch. Here's a picture of our installation after we had a second consumer unit fitted (indoors), showing the single isolator switch that was fitted at the same time. Might be worth checking whether this should have been done and get them back to do it if necessary
1 Meter box.jpg

Unfortunately i have a non standard installation, initially seemed ok, I provided them the info they asked for and response was fast, now gone silent. If they don't want the job they should just say. Glad your install went well but I know there have been concerns if a ground rod should be installed and seen some terrible installs from pod point to on the internet.

Podpoint drilled straight through my alarm system, then the installer pushed the wires back in to make it look like he hadn't done anything. No earth spike, wrong RCD, no installation certificate, but he did use armoured cable through the house, so there's that (it aint going to get damaged, you'd have to take an axe to it..)

I'm going to have to have the whole thing ripped out and reinstalled properly at some point, but having burned the OLEV grant I'm putting that off as long as possible. I guess pay cheap, pay twice.

Bit of advice please... If you get it untethered what's the actual difference? Does it just mean using the Tesla supplied wire everytime?

If so then for me that's a no brainer as my charger will be on view. I don't want a messy looking cable flapping about so I'll get it untethered.

Some may need a longer cable? Podpoint seems to be circa 4.5m, too short for parking nose in I believe and I think the length of the Tesla type 2's supplied are a bit hit and miss.

Personally, I first thought about using the Tesla supplied cable, but soon realised that, in the wet, it will be much better to use a tethered one than put a wet one away in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Gareth Davies
Bit of advice please... If you get it untethered what's the actual difference? Does it just mean using the Tesla supplied wire everytime?

If so then for me that's a no brainer as my charger will be on view. I don't want a messy looking cable flapping about so I'll get it untethered.
Yes that is what it means.
Tethered is more convenient but, as you say, may not look as nice and can only connect to vehicles with the same type of connector as you.
There are some that do a good job of hiding the cable like Anderson but they are pricey.

The cables Tesla provide are often 4m long, according to the Tesla chappy I spoke to. The first batch that Stockport delivered didn’t come with the cable, as they were out of stock!

If you need to run your cable the length of the car like me, you’re going to need at least 7.5m. If you go untethered you can get a 10m cable for about £190.