Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pod Point Solo charging cable plug getting stuck in M3 socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a tethered Pod Point Solo charge point which I use to charge my M3 long range overnight. The car was delivered and the charge point was installed in September 2021.

Ever since I’ve had the car there have been problems removing the Pod Point cable. The tethered cable plug gets stuck in the M3 charge socket. The way I have found to be able to remove the cable is to push the plug to the left towards the socket locking pin while simultaneously pressing the unlock button on the mobile app (I.e there appears to be too much friction between the securing pin and the cable plug). Not an ideal solution. The attached photo of the charge cable plug shows the slight damage where the socket securing pin engages with it.

The only other charging I have done is at SCs and the charge cable at those always releases correctly. In my mind it is therefore perhaps a slight incompatibility issue between the pod point and the M3, but there must be loads of people with the same set up at home and yet I can’t find any mention of the issue elsewhere. Other than spraying some lubricant on the plug hole and socket securing pin, does anyone else have any ideas how I might fix this issue?

Attachments

• FC5E987E-4F91-4BD9-AA21-4AD7E6D5C194.jpeg
    FC5E987E-4F91-4BD9-AA21-4AD7E6D5C194.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 342
I have a tethered Pod Point Solo charge point which I use to charge my M3 long range overnight. The car was delivered and the charge point was installed in September 2021.

Ever since I’ve had the car there have been problems removing the Pod Point cable. The tethered cable plug gets stuck in the M3 charge socket. The way I have found to be able to remove the cable is to push the plug to the left towards the socket locking pin while simultaneously pressing the unlock button on the mobile app (I.e there appears to be too much friction between the securing pin and the cable plug). Not an ideal solution. The attached photo of the charge cable plug shows the slight damage where the socket securing pin engages with it.

The only other charging I have done is at SCs and the charge cable at those always releases correctly. In my mind it is therefore perhaps a slight incompatibility issue between the pod point and the M3, but there must be loads of people with the same set up at home and yet I can’t find any mention of the issue elsewhere. Other than spraying some lubricant on the plug hole and socket securing pin, does anyone else have any ideas how I might fix this issue?
Use filer or maybe some knife and make hole slightly longer? Disconnect the power first of course

As far as I know (pod point home charger user) that plug hole is only for the socket to be secured in its pod and has nothing to do with M3 charging socket as it is connected by the CCS pins only.

• Disagree
Reactions: NewbieT
Uncorroborated and I can’t find the thread. The M3 had a slight tweak to it’s charge port not too long ago and another manufacturer had to change the tethered cable it shipped with its charge point. Could be the same issue if you’re only having the problem at home. Ask PodPoint.

It it is the solenoid / lock catching then a file will do the job as suggested.

Last edited:
As far as I know (pod point home charger user) that plug hole is only for the socket to be secured in its pod and has nothing to do with M3 charging socket as it is connected by the CCS pins only.
Every type II plug has a hole like that and the car has a locking pin to hold the plug in while charging to stop it being pulled out while current is flowing.
I assume that picture is of the standard type 2 locking hole not an extra one on podpoints.
It could be that the locking mechanism on the car is misaligned but without trying your car on other type 2 plugs ( does it work with the one that came with the car?) or other cars on your charger it is hard to say where the issue lies.
FYI you know there is an emergency release cable in the boot. not saying you should use it but just in case it gets worse

Check this thread from a few days ago

Also have a look in the hypervolt thread

I have a M3 picked up at the start of Dec and have no problem disconnecting Podpoint tethered cable. This is my dedicated home charger.

Regarding the two “unlocks” thread - if the car is locked, I use a key fob and I need to press and hold twice on the fob before it releases the cable. Once seems to “wake” the car and the second release the cable.

Looks the same issue as some Hypervolt cables ... check out this page and you'll see some filing instructions:

I’m currently having similar issues but on a BP Pulse home charger with my Dec21 LR. I press the unlock (twice) in the car and hear the release taking place but the cable is firmly locked in. It takes a few attempts at cycling through the process before it decides to release with a real tug but sounds awfully similar to what is being described here.

One wonders whether it is the Podpoint connector or an issue with the car. I've had no problems with my Jan 21 Tetherered Podpoint. The only thing I do occasionally is "polish" the outside of the connector with silicon grease to prevent the connector getting jammed in the wall holster (it is a tight fit). Maybe a by product is that it slides more easily into the car connector?

If it helps, I've attached a photo showing the thickness of the retaining bar in case yours is thicker. There is no sign of the retaining mechanism having caught on my connector.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-24 132446.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-24 132446.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 88