Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Podcasts losing current position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that when I listen to a podcast, the current time position in the podcast is lost when I leave the vehicle and return. Retaining the current listening position seems pretty basic to a podcast player, where you want to continue where you left off. Is this a shortcoming of the media player, or is there something I don't know?

In the UK we get Tune In app. Same happens if you switch away to radio or phone audio, then come back, the podcast you were listening to will restart from the beginning. Though it is still cached so you can fast forward to where you had reached (as long as you can remember)...

It is because the app doesn't know that it is a podcast and not a song. It thinks that if you stopped in the middle of a song, you would want it to start over next time. I used to have the same problem when I tried to play audiobooks on some of the music app. Since then I have switched to use an audiobook app that will remember your position.

Frustrating indeed! Has been this way since Day 1 (if I can remember that long ago :)). @emissionzero is correct that fully downloaded podcast will still be in the buffer when you return to the car, so just need to drag bar to approx position where you left off. Unless of course you get the dreaded "Error" with the entire podcast image grayed out (happens to me far too often).

Unless of course you get the dreaded "Error" with the entire podcast image grayed out (happens to me far too often).

There are some podcasts that I have literally never been able to get to load. Others load no problem. Yet others will load after I refresh it like 15 times. This is the main reason I switched to streaming from my phone.

I have found that when I listen to a podcast, the current time position in the podcast is lost when I leave the vehicle and return. Retaining the current listening position seems pretty basic to a podcast player, where you want to continue where you left off. Is this a shortcoming of the media player, or is there something I don't know?

I just stream from my phone, music and podcasts.

When I bought my Model S the sales guy told me it was an iPhone on wheels, which is pretty accurate when it comes to the media player... I really can't properly use it w/o my iPhone ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: UberEV1
This really bugs me as well, especially as I have listened to half a podcast, park the car and when I return the podcast has a loading error!
To get around this I tried pausing the podcast before I got out of the car. About 90 minutes later I return and the pod cast resumed from the correct point. Haven't tried this overnight when the car goes to sleep but might be a workaround until (if)this gets fixed.
I have also found that loading errors can re resolved by playing another podcast in the same series - e.g if it is a weekly podcast and you get a loading error, try and play an older podcast then try and play the original one. Seems to work for me.

This app has been the most frustrating thing about my Tesla. I want to listen to podcasts and would rather do it through my car if at all possible. Certain podcasts never load, others stop when you are listening and most of the time when you come back to the car it goes back to the beginning or fails to load it again. It never seems to stay cached (sometimes pausing before you leave the car helps but not always). It has been this way for years. It isn't like there are a ton of apps for the car, it would be nice if they made this one work at some point.

Reactions: UberEV1