Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Podcasts needs to be revamped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everytime I get into my car I have to open my phone and look at my podcast app (pocketcasts) to see what my latest podcast are that I haven't listened to yet. We shouldn't have to do that. It's also crazy we can't listen to podcast library on Spotify. You sort of can with "daily podcast playlist" but it doesn't work that well. Anyway, I just feel like it needs an overhaul to see latest episodes that you haven't listened to yet, change the playback speed, and set skip length to something other than 15 sec.

I get a notification automatically on my phone when a new episode is available (I don't know if it's Google Play Music or Google Podcasts that notifies me, but it's one of those). That triggers me to bring up the podcast in the car. I guess if you listen to a lot of podcasts this method isn't all that useful (I only listen to two, so it's not too bad).

But yes, support for podcasts in TunedIn is pretty horrible. First of all it doesn't appear to support episodes over an hour at all. Maybe if you are lucky you can get it to start, but the time is wrong and sometimes after it gets past a certain point it just stops.

More important, if you change audio sources at all, or if there is some kind of glitch, it completely forgets where you were, so you need to fiddle with it and hope you can get somewhere close to where you left off.

I've basically just given up on the one podcast that is routinely over an hour episode length and just stream that from my phone over Bluetooth, but like your comment on Spotify, it just seems so unnecessary.

I tried the podcast support in TunedIn for a couple weeks as well. Gave up on it for the issues referenced by the previous poster and simply play the from the Podcast app on my iPhone over Bluetooth. Life is too short to futz around with a broken user interface.

I only listen to Podcasts in my car. My Chevy Bolt with Android Auto / Apple Carplay works great. I use Bluetooth in my Tesla, but am constantly picking up my phone, face unlock, select new podcast, etc. Big PITA.

If Tesla is stubbornly holding out as the last brand with a proprietary nav and no Auto / Carplay support, a better solution is needed. I find myself enjoying the Chevy Bolt more except it doesn't have AWD.

I started to use the podcasts in spotify by making my own playlist. What bothers me is that it the car doesnt remember where I left off in the podcast so I to remember to look at where the slide bar is so I can manually "try" to get back to the same time spot.

I have also noticed that podcasts seem to be quieter than other music so it blasts me when I first switch over.

I started to use the podcasts in spotify by making my own playlist. What bothers me is that it the car doesnt remember where I left off in the podcast so I to remember to look at where the slide bar is so I can manually "try" to get back to the same time spot.

I have also noticed that podcasts seem to be quieter than other music so it blasts me when I first switch over.

To not remember the spot, makes it all but useless. My Android phone always had the volume wrong over BT. My Apple phone can control the volume on the phone from the car so not an issue. I moved to the Apple phone for the podcasts for that reason. Still, a horrid user interface for podcasts.

Reactions: gblinckmann