Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PodPoint Home Charger Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My PodPoint charger has decided to keep fusing after charging for a little while.

Had it a few years and never had a problem. I normally charge at night but during lockdown have been charging during the day, could it be down to how hot it is?

Is it likely it is a problem with the charger or car? When it fuses there is a message on the car screen saying unable to charge, try disconnecting or try a DC charger or words very similar.

Thanks in advance!

I had a couple of 'funnies' immediately after installing 2020.16 but didn't photo/take note of the error so cannot remember the exact message.

It seemed to be at end of charge, but I have had a supposedly successful one since although didn't venture into the car to check the dash. I'll see if I can look back at events - I think this is now possible either in .16 or .20.

Not sure if one of them popped the RCD, certainly one didn't. The on e that may have, I couldn't see the light on the charge point (it was bright sunlight) so hit the RCD reset button 'just in case'. In the end, I turned the supply off then back on and all was OK, so on that one, still not convinced RCD had tripped.

I've done 3 charges since 2020.16. Two out of 3 errored after completing the full charge. I had been charging for several days like this (so very hot) without error, but these errors exactly coincided with the installation of 2020.16.2.1. Not had a charge issue since installation of charge point last year, so these errors are noteworthy.

I had 2 errors today (one tripped the RCD and the other didn't) within the first 20 minutes of charging starting. And then no issues for the next 4 hours. I don't have access to another charger to try and see if it's a car issue or a charger one.

Had my charger fitted about 2 weeks ago. Only used it once overnight all OK first charge. (Using work chargers in the day)
But from 2 days ago I put the car to charge it charges for about 20/25 mins then stops!!! Started at 37% tonight. Then stopped at 39% I've no 3rd party apps running now or got schedule charging on. I've had pre conditioning on so thought it may be that turned that off but still the same. I did use ev energy app for about 2 days in the beginning to see how that worked but deleted the app as was actually draining my phone battery. I tried schedule charging using that app once. But as I've deleted the app surely any settings I had won't still be being used?

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Check the clamp on the mains supply. I had to have mine replaced last week as it was faulty (was also quite loose). Mine was only charging for about 10 mins and then switching off. IIRC they told me if you take the clamp off it will charge but at a lower rate.

• Informative
Reactions: Anfieldgaz
Check the clamp on the mains supply. I had to have mine replaced last week as it was faulty (was also quite loose). Mine was only charging for about 10 mins and then switching off. IIRC they told me if you take the clamp off it will charge but at a lower rate.
OK thanks I'll ring podpoint tomorrow and see what they say. Just out of interest what colour light did the charger display once it stopped charging mine went to green flashing which means schedule charging

Wierd this. It kept stopping. But I've got up this morning and it's charged to the level I set and the app said it finished at 4.30am.. not sure what's going on. It looks like it's schedule charging but I've not not set it either in the car or in any app??

@Anfieldgaz I've had two occasions in the last 2-3 weeks where I've expected the car to charge overnight but it hasn't.

Also have a PodPoint and use ev.energy.

Typically I'll plug the car in early evening then stop charging immediately via the app. That method has worked for around 9 months and it's only recently that I get occasional nights where it doesn't charge.

I'm tempted to think it's a Tesla software issue but can't say for sure.

@Anfieldgaz I've had two occasions in the last 2-3 weeks where I've expected the car to charge overnight but it hasn't.

If I was using schedule charging either by the car or an app then it would explain why it stops charging then reaches the charge selected Over night when I'm asleep. But I've not set this up so it makes no sense as to why it's behaving in this manner. It's behaving as if it's schedule charging but it's not set up for it. Which can be a pain if for example you come in say 5pm. The car needs to charge you then plug it in expecting it to charge as you need to go out( not in current climate) say 7pm but there is no charge. As its stopped charging because its schedule charging

Typically I'll plug the car in early evening then stop charging immediately via the app. That method has worked for around 9 months and it's only recently that I get occasional nights where it doesn't charge.

If I was using schedule charging either by the car or an app then it would explain why it stops charging then reaches the charge selected Over night when I'm asleep. But I've not set this up so it makes no sense as to why it's behaving in this manner. It's behaving as if it's schedule charging but it's not set up for it. Which can be a pain if for example you come in say 5pm. The car needs to charge you then plug it in expecting it to charge as you need to go out( not in current climate) say 7pm but there is no charge. As its stopped charging because its schedule charging

Not sure if anyone else has this issue. It's still ongoing and the service from podpoint is a disgrace to be honest. After about 30 emails and numerous software patches I've still the same issue. They are reluctant to send an engineer to replace the charger.

Not sure if anyone else has this issue. It's still ongoing and the service from podpoint is a disgrace to be honest. After about 30 emails and numerous software patches I've still the same issue. They are reluctant to send an engineer to replace the charger.
This is a longshot but before deleting the ev.energy app, did you disable smart charging?

Possible theory is that the connection between your car and ev.energy is still valid, even though the app has been removed. For some services, deleting the app does not always mean severing any existing connections.

May be worth reinstalling ev.energy, login in, ensure smart charging is disabled then deleting the app.

As I said, long shot.

• Informative
Reactions: Anfieldgaz
Had a similar problem of randomly stopping charging, but in a different situation. Now think I found a workaround of sorts today.... Tldr; lowered to 25Amp and got a stable charge.

The story; My parking space is in a gated area and 1 old style 7kw Pod Point for everyone, it's private but thought it worked more like the public Pod Points. It's real shoddy and has no connectivity according to Pod Point support and the app agrees. Support convinced it would just charge without cutting off no questions. But it was cutting off, sometimes after 10 mins, 15 or just a few, seemed random. Support just don't want to know, and seemingly don't want to make money by fixing local public chargers either

I'd given up until recently when someone else in a ford was using it, seemingly stable charge for hours. So figured it must be between my Tesla and the point, rather than the point alone. That's when I dropped the amps right down, then progressively went up. Settled on 25A and had a 4 hour charge without interruption. I can only assume the Tesla is trying to pull more power than the point can deal with, so the point trips out somehow.

Not a fan of Pod Point after all this. Support were terrible - friendly enough, but useless at fixing three issue. Also don't like this workaround, if it's spec is 7kw then it should hit that... but when you need a charge I'd rather lose 1kw than get nothing at all

This is a longshot but before deleting the ev.energy app, did you disable smart charging?

Possible theory is that the connection between your car and ev.energy is still valid, even though the app has been removed. For some services, deleting the app does not always mean severing any existing connections.

May be worth reinstalling ev.energy, login in, ensure smart charging is disabled then deleting the app.

As I said, long shot.
Thanks for this I'll try it.