Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PodPoint reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My install was a little non standard, I didn't want them to run trunking through the hallway instead I wanted them to use a ceiling void, despite contacting them twice and them telling they would get back to me, I heard nothing. I did a bit of searching on the internet and youtube and found some terrible installs (one install was even illegal), they seem to use contractors in your area they don't seem to have there own team, and it all depends if you get a good one or not. I often see on some of the facebook groups where installers haven't adjust the pins inside to let you charge at 30amps rather than stuck at a lower speed, they then either have to come back or adjust it remotely. The app is also pretty poor/buggy and lacks basic "smart" features that other charge points have. I've generally heard there presales/aftersales support sucks, I believe mainly because they have too much demand. They are also not the nicest looking.
I ended up contacting a local installer that seemed to have good reviews and recommended the EO Mini Pro which also has excellent support.

My install was a little non standard, I didn't want them to run trunking through the hallway instead I wanted them to use a ceiling void, despite contacting them twice and them telling they would get back to me, I heard nothing. I did a bit of searching on the internet and youtube and found some terrible installs (one install was even illegal), they seem to use contractors in your area they don't seem to have there own team, and it all depends if you get a good one or not. I often see on some of the facebook groups where installers haven't adjust the pins inside to let you charge at 30amps rather than stuck at a lower speed, they then either have to come back or adjust it remotely. The app is also pretty poor/buggy and lacks basic "smart" features that other charge points have. I've generally heard there presales/aftersales support sucks, I believe mainly because they have too much demand. They are also not the nicest looking.
I ended up contacting a local installer that seemed to have good reviews and recommended the EO Mini Pro which also has excellent support.

Yes they sub the work to local contractors.

They lost our business when we waited all day after saying they were running late and then at the end of the day the local guy said he would not be able to finish the job as had to collect his daughter from school.

Having said that, theirs is probably the easiest/simplest way to get it done through olev.

Most local guys on the .gov list are no longer interested/don’t get back to you since it takes to long for them to get their money.

I must say it’s wasn’t a good experience to get this arranged and for the moment at least would like to see things like this arranged from who ever is supplying the car or at least mediated.

The Pod Point site says £559 for the tethered 7kW solo, does the actual price vary much?

I got a quote from a local company who quoted considerably more but I'm not sure if it's because I'm asking for something 'non-standard' i.e. instead of having it on the side of the house next to the meter, I wanted it in the garage - no groundwork is required as there is already ducting for the existing electrical supply to the garage. I'm no electrician so I don't know how much more complicated that makes the install.

I'm in the West Mids... Wolverhampton specifically.

Anyone had any experience with the Rolec Charger?
There were lots of issues with the earlier rolecs, which caused them to get a bad reputation, the good thing about them is that they use easily replaceable parts should they go wrong. The newer smart ones seem to have been less of an issue, but there are quite a few rolec haters out there based on the previous models. I have seen a couple of issues with the new ones, but no-where as many as previously.

Reactions: JS77
The Pod Point site says £559 for the tethered 7kW solo, does the actual price vary much?

I got a quote from a local company who quoted considerably more but I'm not sure if it's because I'm asking for something 'non-standard' i.e. instead of having it on the side of the house next to the meter, I wanted it in the garage - no groundwork is required as there is already ducting for the existing electrical supply to the garage. I'm no electrician so I don't know how much more complicated that makes the install.
It’s pretty standard unless you’re asking for non-standard work. It has to be hard wired directly to the main unit so if your garage is separate to the house then it will need to go underground. I had mine installed on a retaining wall on our driveway and dug/laid plastic conduit in advance of installation.

They will ask for photos of your main fuse board and the path to where you want the unit to be installed, this in turn will raise questions. They quoted me £600 for a daily rate to lay the conduit which cost me around £20 and took me an hour to dig and lay, I just took a couple of photos as I did it and they were happy to install where I wanted it.

Reactions: thrash
It’s pretty standard unless you’re asking for non-standard work. It has to be hard wired directly to the main unit so if your garage is separate to the house then it will need to go underground. I had mine installed on a retaining wall on our driveway and dug/laid plastic conduit in advance of installation.

They will ask for photos of your main fuse board and the path to where you want the unit to be installed, this in turn will raise questions. They quoted me £600 for a daily rate to lay the conduit which cost me around £20 and took me an hour to dig and lay, I just took a couple of photos as I did it and they were happy to install where I wanted it.

Yeah I already have some sort of corrugated conduit going under the patio and lawn which takes the supply to the garage, the quote I’ve got is on the basis that the new cable will fit through what’s already there. I just wanted to get a quote on the site but it didn’t seem possible without actually placing an order.

Yeah I already have some sort of corrugated conduit going under the patio and lawn which takes the supply to the garage, the quote I’ve got is on the basis that the new cable will fit through what’s already there. I just wanted to get a quote on the site but it didn’t seem possible without actually placing an order.

It’s quite a thick cable (20mm) and they asked me to install 50mm plastic conduit which was pretty much to make their life easier doing the installation but I packed each end of mine and covered it so it’s out of sight.

My opinion was to just bite the bullet and process the order and if there was issues I could get a full refund but at the time I was only charging a XC90 so I wasn’t desperate to get one installed.

I used PodPoint, order to installation one week!
6D1F2B9E-5DC7-4029-B7A0-D8A9DBE01676.jpeg

Reactions: StevehConwy
I know we're in a weird time at present. But I have to say the service I’ve had from pod point so far has been awful.
I started the process nearly 3 weeks ago and sent the OLEV forms( a week to review and get back to me) then the self assessment installation form a week ago still awaiting response back from them and not even any idea as to when I'll get an installation date. And they take FULL payment from you straight away at point of order.

I had PodPoint installed, took a week after i had uploaded all the relevant grant documents and paid, to be installed. Fitted in an afternoon and all good so far. I’ve only been using it just over a week though.( i did add a recommendation in the recommendation requests thread but it got deleted?).

moderator comment - post now moved above - it was previously removed from view as it was not specific enough in mentioning individual installation company/person

Last edited by a moderator:
I had PodPoint installed, took a week after i had uploaded all the relevant grant documents and paid, to be installed. Fitted in an afternoon and all good so far. I’ve only been using it just over a week though.( i did add a recommendation in the recommendation requests thread but it got deleted?).

moderator comment - post now moved above - it was previously removed from view as it was not specific enough in mentioning individual installation company/person
Ok thanks.

Reactions: MrBadger