TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Pokemon Go (AR) Driving Autonomous Car Demand?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by eloder, Jul 10, 2016.

1. eloder

eloder Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Ohio, USA
    Well, I imagine some people may find this ridiculous, but it's more about the augmented reality experience suddenly entering the mainstream as a highly desirable form of entertainment as proven by this release. What goes better with augmented reality, than a car that allows enjoying such entertainment?

Normally I wouldn't even think of something as ridiculous as this, but Nintendo stock is up 20%+ today in Japan from the game's release and it's creating quite the social craze. This after having a near-double digit day last week. I don't know if my city is special, but the sheer number of people out and playing this game today was quite incredible. Especially the younger and millennial crowd who are well-positioned to take advantage of the Model 3 and future low-cost models, who already favor EVs and high-tech cars.

Ironically enough this may also help drive public charger use, which may help increase awareness/demand for more. Pure anecdotal experience behind this theory: I've visited a charging station near my workplace about a dozen+ times since obtaining my EV. I never once saw another EV at this location until recently. Since this game's release, I've charged four additional times at this location, each time seeing at least one other EV. On top of this, the foot/bike traffic has increased ten-fold at this charger location--right along with plenty of curious stares and views from others. What once was a desolate parking lot next to this park now houses 1-2 dozen cars, all within view of multiple charging EVs. I can't imagine that this is an isolated coincidence given how rare EVs still are in my city.

My entire theory hinges on this not simply being a passing fad, but augmented reality morphing into a new, popular form of social and real-world based entertainment. There's of course nothing here that could suddenly materially change Tesla stock price in the near-term, but it could very well add to the "exponential" S curve of the Model 3 as friends/strangers realize the luxurious impact offered by autonomous driving. It could make the rumored HUD in the Model 3 suddenly become the most desirable thing in the world, as people become more aware of augmented reality.

I wonder how many people will find me crazy :D
  2. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

Aug 8, 2013
    Lehigh Valley PA
    I was actually thinking about this over the weekend.

In my eyes, AR (augmented reality) gaming will be another lever that facilitates demand for autonomous vehicles. People need a reason to invest in an autonomous vehicle, and although there's enough out there for them (no more drunk driving, the elderly gain tremendous ability to travel, convenience on commuting), AR gaming will be yet another variable. Question is if it's of material impact.
  3. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Dec 25, 2015
    • Funny x 1