TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PolarPlus charging network

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by NorfolkMustard, Nov 4, 2019.

1. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

What do we think, a good alternative to Supercharging when out and about?

https://polar-network.com

Break even versus Supercharging seems to be about 90kWh / month if you use their 50kW chargers. Anything more than that and it's cheaper than SuperCharging

2. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

Picking up my Model 3 on Thursday. I can't charge at home as I live in a block of flats and there's no power in the car park (although I've asked for at least a 3 pin power socket to be installed...maybe i'll get lucky).

So pretty much all of my charging is going to be done solely using Polar. There's a 50kw rapid round the corner from my office, and another 2 nearby.

I have already subscribed to the £8 per month subscription - you get the first three months free. One thing I like about the subscription is you get access to some of their points completely free - the electricity costs nothing. Fortunately for me, a number of the free charging stations are in car parks I already use in central London for work, so some of my charging won't cost me anything extra. Plus there's two more free ones 5 mins away from my flat.

For their 50kw rapid chargers is 15p/kWh if you have their subscription. 30p/kWh if you use contactless. I did the maths and if all your charging is done on Polar, the subscription is worthwhile. if you do 2 charges or less a month you're better off using Polar Instant.

3. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

It’s worked fine for me every time and the better priced network exc Tesla

4. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

One thing to watch, I used The Hollybrook in Derby early hours of yesterday morning for a quick topup and on the app it states that you can park for 90 minutes without charge. Just as I was about to leave I spotted the signs saying you had to validate your registration on the screen inside! I ended up having to pay £1.20 on the PayByPhone app!

5. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

I use Polar mainly and it works well. I did have an issue with it for a week where it would not connect to the car so used an alternative Polar up the road, but this is working again so back to my regular. Got the Free 3 months free membership but will cancel as the chargers i use are 20p/kwh with tap to pay and it works out cheaper this way with the amount i use it.

@m3gt2 - i use the Blue Peter one in Derby mainly. Its 20p :) (at the moment). Also The Markeaton pub is the same i think. - Free parking at these

I use it just before 7am and always beat a Audi Etron who looks annoyed and then drives off when he sees me :D

• Like x 1
  6. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

If you don’t plan on using them much go for Polar Instant - PAYG - it’s a different app.

7. NorfolkMustard

They do seem to like ‘difficult’ car parks for their 50kW stations.

I’ll give it a go for the trial, seems there’s a box for “referral code” on signup, anyone?

8. Mcraciun

Mcraciun Member

Ovo energy will give you free polar membership if you sign up to their EV tariff

there’s a free polar charger in my uni campus do I still need to tap a card to activate it?

9. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

Yeah heard about that deal, unforunately I just signed onto another provider so might change at some point.

Yes you still need to tap your card to activate it I beleive.

10. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

I used one a few weeks ago in a 'difficult car park. It was a 50kW but only put out 10kW.
    After several minutes reconnecting it got no better so I rang the helpline and was told it had been like that for a while and an engineer was due to look at it. So I gave up and had to limp to the next charger with only about 10% of battery remaining.

I then looked at Zap Map reports on it and that charger had been running at 7-10kW for several weeks prior to my visit and almost a month later I see it's still faulty and Polar are 'waiting for parts'.

To add insult to injury, I got an £85 'Parking Charge Notice' in the post 2 weeks later for staying there longer than 15 minutes and not registering at reception. They just say the car park is not their responsibility. There was no sign on the charger to make the parking situation clear and I was not there to park in any case!

I'll be avioding Polar in future.

11. Yev000

Yev000 Member

Tried to use them first time by downloading the app and registering while in the car park... failed miserably.

No clear distinction between polar instant and polar plus or any kind of instructions at the charging points.

But what got me was "need to be charging" requirement at the car park.... My primary reason for parking is to leave the car, changing is a nice byproduct. I do not want to move the car half way through watching a film in the cinema...

They need to have fast chargers for that in some sports and trickle chargers that you can stay indefinitely at other spots. I'd take 2kw over 7kw any day if I didn't have to check whether my car was still charging.

And if you are going to make it a "supercharger" don't charge me for parking! You can't have it both ways.

Just looked at the instant app and the activation fee is £1.20. I get that you need return on investment, for I'd need to get 10kw to make that cheaper than my house, what's the point? And if I don't have a home charger I don't want to hang around at a shopping center waiting for 7Kw to do it's thing. It's not an incentive, and it's not a convenience unless I'm a tourist.

It's really not thought through.

My basic rule of thumb, if its free ill use it (and maybe spend longer so spend more money at the establishment) if not and I don't need it I wont. Maybe if I'm on a trip that will be different?

• Like x 1
  12. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

On the new fast chargers they do indicate more information about the Polar instant which is useful but the 7kw don't usually have any info, I had assumed that you could just tap to pay with the Polar instant on the new fast chargers but unsure. The £1.20 charge is rather expensive especially when at most location you have to also pay at least 15p per kw

13. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

Ouch

That reminds me! One thing is to be careful with Polar, they seem to put a lot of there charges in Pay and display car parks or hotel car parks with sneaky eyes that give you a ticket as mentioned above! North Coventry (Holiday Inn near the M6/M69) has this and you have to register at reception to avoid ticket within 15mins!.

14. NorfolkMustard

The £1.20 is a min charge I think, not an additional connection fee.

15. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

Correct £1.20 min - If 20p/kwh use a minium of 6kwh before you unplug. And as to what it shows on the charger screen not your car screen!

16. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

Well they've lost a customer here. Luckily, near the location I had trouble with, there's an Instavolt charger which gave me about 40kW and is in a petrol station with no sneaky parking charges, so I'll be going there next time, even though it's slightly off my route.

The only other time I tried to use a Polar charger I was standing in the rain trying to get the app to work and it took about 4 attempts and a call to their help line to start the charge. Quite honestly, the UK charging infrastructure is a bit of a joke currently (apart from Tesla SuCs).

• Like x 1
  17. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

This is an issue i'm coming up aginst during my local charge point research. There's a PodPoint near me that's completely free, don't even need to pay a subscription. BUT, it's in a hotel car park that charges £10 per day for parking. So annoying.

There's two 7kw Polars near my flat, but they allow a maximum stay of 3 hours. Not eactly a full charge on 7kw for 3 hours...

18. Yev000

Yev000 Member

There is a garden center near me that has a completely free set of Rolec chargers. Most of the time the 2 EV bays are empty. And If I plug in, at most it will cost them £7.5 (1% to 100% and I sit there for ~5 hours).

The the price of a tea with scones in that very same garden center. It doesn't take a great genius to figure out that if someone is going to spend time there they will probably spend money.

IMO the charge points should be free of charge and/or included in the cost of the parking. Right now they are used as a money making scheme.

Charging me £1.20, on top of a parking fee of £4 with the added stress of having to move the car because it finished charging... No thanks. If it's a car park, allow me to park the car and charge for free. If it's a charger and you want people to move their cars when they are done, it better be faster than 7Kwh.

19. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

Chargers obviously cost money to put in and to maintain and to run so i get the model that the garden centre is using they hope your custom will be worth the over head.
    But in a public car park no one has anything to gain so paying for the parking space and the cost of the electricity/infrastructure seems reasonable though I take your point on the moving the car part. unfortunately until there is a charger in more than 0.1% of parking spots (made up figure) I guess that isn't going to change. Just part of the earlier adopters pain.

20. NorfolkMustard

Check Norway for what’s to come, whole floors of the airport multi-storey carpark with a charger per parking space

my local council has free 7kW Pod-Point chargers in some of its car parks and on/street parking in the town centre, and free parking for EVs for 3 hours if charging.