Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 coming in September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is making cars in China as well.
Build quality appears to be quite good in the first reviews.

WIRED: "This is an extremely well-developed car that has the kind of quality of finish that Tesla has been aiming for but missing"

E-Fahrer: "It’s a Tesla without the extra kick, but also without the suffering that Tesla customers sometimes have with service disasters and shortcomings in production details."

Tesla isn't making cars in China for the American market. Tesla isn't a Chinese company.

Polestar is a Chinese company making cars in China. Why would I even be interested when I have USA made alternatives? Hard pass!

Owning a Volvo XC40, which has most of the same interior looks and the Pilot Assist, I can say this will be a competitor to Tesla. Sure its not a model 3, but a lot of people still like the traditional feel of a car and the range is good enough for the daily driver. The Google system is actually quite nice and Pilot Assist works remarkably well. It will be interesting to see how this does.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Johnny Smith like Polestar 2

Not surprised he does, it's just the kind of mix of traditional and modern he'd go for. And I'm sure many others will.

However... He doesn't half talk some rubbish about Tesla. I think he's too strongly opinionated about the styling of the two vehicles. It's completely subjective so he needs to cool off a bit on comments like calling Tesla's wheels "dogs***". I don't like the chunky look of the Polestar 2. At all. It does nothing for me and I'm a fan of scandi minimalistm in general. Looks like a knock-off I-PACE wannabe to me.

He also claims the car is a fair bit heavier than the "Tesla 3" (wish he'd stop calling it that) for improved safety reasons. I mean, really, I'm sure it's a very safe vehicle. But safer than the Model 3? Remains to be seen. And probably not when active safety features are considered.

Not surprised he does, it's just the kind of mix of traditional and modern he'd go for. And I'm sure many others will.

However... He doesn't half talk some rubbish about Tesla. I think he's too strongly opinionated about the styling of the two vehicles. It's completely subjective so he needs to cool off a bit on comments like calling Tesla's wheels "dogs***". I don't like the chunky look of the Polestar 2. At all. It does nothing for me and I'm a fan of scandi minimalistm in general. Looks like a knock-off I-PACE wannabe to me.

He also claims the car is a fair bit heavier than the "Tesla 3" (wish he'd stop calling it that) for improved safety reasons. I mean, really, I'm sure it's a very safe vehicle. But safer than the Model 3? Remains to be seen. And probably not when active safety features are considered.

Its his youtube channel where he gives his opinion about cars.

Design is what he loves to talk about most.

Everyone is free to not click his videos.

Regardless of where the car is made or the corresponding political implications I like the Polestar 2 an awful lot.

The interior is exactly how I would want it. I like my Tesla but the current Volvo interiors are exemplary both in materials and overall design.

I’m not so wild about the styling (reminds me of the old Subaru Legacy SUS sport utility sedan) but it’s fine. It does look premium but I like my car’s styling better.

On a tech front they’re still way behind. The Polestar is fatter, slower, has less range, less interior room, charges slower, consumes more power, and costs significantly more than a Model 3 dual motor.

If I were in the market I’d at least test drive one if only for the interior and hatchback.

Its his youtube channel where he gives his opinion about cars.

Design is what he loves to talk about most.

Everyone is free to not click his videos.

That's fine, but his strong and often controversial opinions make him come across as a di**. You can give an opinion in a more balanced and professional way. Probably why he was ultimately thrown off Fully Charged. OK that may be an exaggeration and I have no evidence he was "kicked off", but you do wonder. He probably left or was forced to because he wanted to be more outspoken and opinionated than was acceptable there.

Last edited:
Reviews in guttural Nordic lingos are pouring in almost hourly now, good luck
understanding what they mean, this review should go on Comedy
Central, has subtitles, so different from the stereotypical Swedes:

Competing with M3 is an illusion, car is slower, heavier and motors are less efficient.
Add Level 3 CCS charging network for long distance travel outside the coastal urban
areas is still a nightmare, and range is also less.

Only FOUR Polestar US dealerships, one only in E coast, the other three in California,
this makes it an EV tax benefit quota car?
Pure progressive performance | Polestar

The CPC and State Security Ministry Android Auto approval letter assuring customers there is no spyware will be in the glovebox:)
REPORT: In China, cars are spying on their drivers & talking to the government

Let's hope they feed workers well behind the double barbed wire fence of the Special Economic Zone where this car will be manufactured.

Last edited:
That's fine, but his strong and often controversial opinions make him come across as a di**. You can give an opinion in a more balanced and professional way. Probably why he was ultimately thrown off Fully Charged. OK that may be an exaggeration and I have no evidence he was "kicked off", but you do wonder. He probably left or was forced to because he wanted to be more outspoken and opinionated than was acceptable there.

I rather watch paint dry than Fully Charged new auto reviewer in China.

One viewer's Richard is another's enfant terrible.

I like Johnny Smith and will continue to watch him.

Even if I disagree with him from time to time.

It is better, in any event, to own your own youtube channel than work for one.

Reactions: EVMeister
Another revioew, this time from an ex model S owner and current model 3 owner. he LOVES it
TBVH as a tesla investor I'd be worried about this car IF it had a supercharger network and IF it has any autonomy. Ignoring both seems a poor move, but as for the actual car, they are doing a lot right here.

TBVH as a tesla investor I'd be worried about this car IF it had a supercharger network and IF it has any autonomy. Ignoring both seems a poor move, but as for the actual car, they are doing a lot right here.

What about IF they were going to build a large number of them and IF there weren't a huge number of ICE vehicles to displace as well?

Another revioew, this time from an ex model S owner and current model 3 owner. he LOVES it

They can make ~180k of these including Volvo version (XC 40 Recharge? or something like that,) once fully ramped up in a year or so. For the entire world.

In theory 70k for Europe, 70k for China and 40k for North America.

Not much to worry about IMO.

One would only worry if you think the BEV market is a tiny and isolated niche in the larger automotive market.

Reactions: EVMeister
Looks pretty solid. I'd want a 300+ mile range for the price though. I think once they can achieve that they can sell a lot of it. There are plenty of people who just want a traditional car with an electric powertrain, so hope more of these kind of cars show up on the market.

Polestar had a pop-up event in my neighborhood so I had a peep at the cars.

What I like better than my Tesla:

* Headlight are full matrix LED, and can carve out pattern of 5 separate cars. Ultra cool

* Seats look very cool, shaped well, has extendable thought support, and the leather (fake?) feel very premium

* Single piece glass roof looks cooler without center bar

* Front camera (and wiper nozzles) are heated. Would solve Tesla problem of cameras clogging up and preventing AP function in winter.

* Cabin feels more *substantial* - part of reason is it feels more snug (which can also be considered a con)

* Hatch rear opening is obviously more useful

* None of the 5 cars had any misalignment or visible build issues like Tesla

What is less good:

* Trunk actually seem shallow

* Front cabin not as airy and spacious

* Rear feels tighter in knee and headroom, and for middle seat due to large center tunnel

In my market, specced in the way I would buy both cars, they are priced identically.

If it was available when I bought my 3, I would have taken a hard look at the Polestar, and the driving experience would determine the purchase.