Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 - Courtesy Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apropos of nothing: someone hit my Model 3 while parked a month ago and I've been given a Polestar 2 as a courtesy car.

I was quite excited to receive it, as by all accounts the reviews suggest it is a real competitor to the Model 3.

Having driven it a fair bit, I just don't get it. I'm anything but a Tesla fanboy, and accept the Model 3 has its faults, but the Polestar feels about a decade behind.

The UI is awful. You are truly using a low-end Android tablet. The interior is conventional, and although solidly put together, utterly unremarkable. Performance feels sluggish unless you really punch the accelerator - this may just be the power curve, but still makes it a little less fun to drive.

The only things I would take in my Model 3 are the heated steering wheel and automatic boot closing.

Sadly it appears like I may be driving it for a while as there is absolutely no indication as to when the spare parts for my Model 3 will show up!

Good to read some real world feedback.

It does look like an attractive car, from the outside. Very clean and purposeful, shut lines looked tiny on the one I saw (a minor thing perhaps, but it looked like a single piece of metal from the side - very striking). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess :)

I kindof feel like Tesla are the OG iPhone of cars in this respect, everyone else is having to change their design language to play catch up. Some are missing the point more than others.

I like the look of the PS2 and the performance and range look ok. The interior looks and feels nice and it’s well made. But when I tried one it felt a generation behind Tesla, too conventional. The performance didn’t feel the same, it’s a softer delivery, not as instant. Wouldn’t tempt me out of my Tesla yet.

Haven’t tried an i4 yet. The EV6, Genesis cars and Ioniq 5 don’t really appeal. Guess I’m staying brand loyal for a while.

We test drove a Polestar2 early this year and liked it for many reasons. Even though we could have actually gotten one off the lot that day, we declined for interior design reasons. We both found the huge console unnecessarily and overwhelmingly wide reducing driver and passenger space. It felt like we were getting into a tiny fighter cockpit rather than a car. It became uncomfortable even after a short test drive.

I like the look of the PS2 and the performance and range look ok. The interior looks and feels nice and it’s well made. But when I tried one it felt a generation behind Tesla, too conventional. The performance didn’t feel the same, it’s a softer delivery, not as instant. Wouldn’t tempt me out of my Tesla yet.

Haven’t tried an i4 yet. The EV6, Genesis cars and Ioniq 5 don’t really appeal. Guess I’m staying brand loyal for a while.
The Electrified GV70 looks stunning.
But it remains an expensive rebadging of a Hyundai/Kia, still ICE-platform based, has a non-existent dealership network for now, and still a bit short on range...

We test drove a Polestar2 early this year and liked it for many reasons. Even though we could have actually gotten one off the lot that day, we declined for interior design reasons. We both found the huge console unnecessarily and overwhelmingly wide reducing driver and passenger space. It felt like we were getting into a tiny fighter cockpit rather than a car. It became uncomfortable even after a short test drive.

I should have added this. It does feel very tight on the inside, far more so than the Tesla. I also find the driving position surprisingly low for what looks like a relatively tall car.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I test drove the Polestar before ordering the MY. There are a few things that make it appealing over the M3. The main thing is the boot. I don't know about overall size, but the P2 has a much more practical boot with the "hatchback" design. But the biggest turn-off and ultimate deal breaker for me was the cramped cabin. I'm not even tall and my knees kept running against the central console. Don't know why they designed it that way. And the backseat still has the exhaust hump in the middle.

The main problem with the Polestar 2 is that it’s built on the same CMA platform that underpins cars like the Volvo XC40 rather than a bespoke EV platform like the model 3. This means you get less cabin space as the platform has to able to cope with things like different engine types, gearboxes and exhausts. It’s also pretty heavy at something like 300Kg more than a model 3, though I don’t know how much that has to do with the platform.

From what I understand the Polestar 3, which has just been unveiled, and Volvo EX90 (the XC90 replacement due next month) shouldn’t have the same compromises as they are designed as EVs from the ground up (on the new SPA2 platform that will also be used for the Volvo S60 replacement). The Polestar 3 is pretty pricey though at £79,900 for the launch edition though throw in the cost of non-silver paint, leather interior and the performance pack (way overpriced for what it offers) and you are looking at £91,500.

I test drove a Polestar 2 and I liked that it was more like a normal car. I guess I'm showing my age but I don't need all the tech stuff in the display. The Polestar has Carplay, blind spot monitor in the side mirrors, a pretty standard adaptive cruise control, and it was put together really well. Bummer for me that it was too small and cramped for me.

Horses for courses! If I was a skinny bloke without a kid and a dog, the PS2 would have been fine.

I am, however a "chunky monkey" and the front seat is almost oppressive - couldn't deal with it. And couldn't get the dog in the boot which killed the option.

Looks great, and TBH I prefer the Google interface, but getting to "love" the Tesla UI (ie tolerate).

Arranged to test drive the PS3 and a M3 on the same day about a year ago. Went determined to love the the Polestar and hate the Tesla, ended up in the M3. As others have already said it was the fact that I couldn't live with the cramped driving position in the PS2 that swung it for me.

The only things I would take in my Model 3 are the heated steering wheel and automatic boot closing.
Both of which the M3 has now of course.
I just picked up an MY with both and so far am not really that much of a fan of either so far
heated steering wheel seems kind of redundant when you have cabin preheat
and I just find the automatic boot a bit annoying. I am worried about it hitting the roof in carparks, I am worried about hitting the stuff I have but it the boot when fully loaded and breaking the glass (which may be an unfounded fear but they are the best type) and I have have already managed to trap my fingers in it while closing manually to make sure it was clearing the stuff in the boot (yes it did hurt, a lot) . In the absence of a kick sensor it really does not do much for me. But I know people seem to love them so maybe I will get it eventually. The only benefit for me so far is no handprints on the back of the car.

Both of which the M3 has now of course.
I just picked up an MY with both and so far am not really that much of a fan of either so far
heated steering wheel seems kind of redundant when you have cabin preheat
and I just find the automatic boot a bit annoying. I am worried about it hitting the roof in carparks, I am worried about hitting the stuff I have but it the boot when fully loaded and breaking the glass (which may be an unfounded fear but they are the best type) and I have have already managed to trap my fingers in it while closing manually to make sure it was clearing the stuff in the boot (yes it did hurt, a lot) . In the absence of a kick sensor it really does not do much for me. But I know people seem to love them so maybe I will get it eventually. The only benefit for me so far is no handprints on the back of the car.
Heated steering wheels seem to be a bit marmitey. Both the wife and I love it, even with preconditioning.

As for the electric boot, the lack of kick sensor can be overcome if you have something like an Apple Watch and an appropriate app such as Watch App for Tesla. I just ask Siri to open/close the boot, bonnet, charge port, etc. It’s great.

Reactions: WllXM
It's rapidly coming up to that time of year where I start drinking religiously to ease the pain of having spent £975 on a heated steering wheel and being unable to activate it, despite Tesla spending 3.5 hours on it.

*hic*
It’s a pity Tesla are able to wield so much control over our cars. Much like with the PWS speaker. Easy enough to retrofit and the car will recognise it after a reboot, but as soon as it checks in with the mothership it deactivates. And Tesla refuse to provide an official retrofit in this country. It’s annoying and somewhat overbearing.

I grew up exclusively with Volvo's and nearly bought one before deciding to take a chance on Tesla four years ago. I have also felt they seemed a few steps behind (but at least were trying with the BEV Polestars).

Although, the Polestar 3 looks like much more serious competition when it will get there eventually.
The new P3 looked great however the price/specs definitely make it seem steps behind. 111kW battery/370mi range and a ~$80K+ starting price seem like it will really diminish the potential ownership base. Say nothing of how on earth they'll be serviced... local dealerships? In many places it's hard enough to get service on ICE Volvos.