Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I thought I would share some information on the Polestar 2 as I did a test drive of one this past weekend. I live in Houston but was in Austin, Tx for the weekend and decided to schedule a Polestar 2 test drive since Houston doesn’t have a Polestar space yet. I was curious about the Polestar line and wanted to see how it compared to my Tesla.

1600px-Polestar_2_005.jpg

(Jengtingchen, CC BY-SA 4.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)

The overall test drive experience was good. The Polestar space is part of the local Volvo dealer at this time but I was told they are constructing a stand alone building now. I was immediately greeted and hooked up with the person that would conduct the test drive. The person conducting the test drive was not the main sales person but was reasonably knowledgeable. He didn’t know where the car was built but did answer most other questions with ease. We drove a dual motor with all available packages but the leather interior. It was the Midnight blue with the black cloth interior with Pilot, Plus and Performance packages. The drive wasn’t extensive but we did drive some city streets and highway. Overall the car was impressive. I have a 2020 MY Dual Motor, so performance was very similar. It did single pedal driving without issue. The ride was good but very firm since it had the performance package which has a more sporty suspension. It felt good to drive and I didn’t see much difference there between it and my MY. The interior was comfortable and everything was easy to adjust. Fit and finish was very good and there were no issues I could see. The doors open easily with the conventional door handles and close with a solid thunk. The frunk was manual (opened with a lever by the drivers foot well) and the trunk was powered. I would definitely say the Polestar 2 is more akin to the M3 than the MY. From the outside it looks (to me) larger than a M3 and maybe close to the MY. After sitting in it however, that isn’t true. The interior felt a bit cramped in comparison and there is less storage space all around. I have to say I did like having the conventional display behind the steering wheel. I didn’t like the fact there was only a single cup holder available in the console that was easy to access. Putting the second cup holder in the bin under the armrest seems a silly afterthought to me. The frunk and rear storage areas are smaller than the MY. Again, the 2 is much more like the M3 when it comes to front and rear storage space. The back seat was good as there was still plenty of room with the driver seat in my driving position (I’m 5’10”). I wouldn’t try to put three people back there. Also there is a center transmission hump in the middle that doesn’t make sense. The upgraded stereo was good. It was a quiet car, and seems to be a bit quieter than the MY. AC was good and we put it to the test since it was about 98 degrees when we did the drive. The interior controls are a hybrid of conventional buttons and touch screen. The touch screen response was good, no lags. I really didn’t like the side mirrors, as they seemed a bit too small for my liking. Rear visibility in the cabin was very limited but only a bit smaller than in my MY. Controls and other switch gear were good and very Volvo-esque. It can use your phone as a key and has a very Volvo like key fob. The traffic we drove through didn’t allow me to test any of the driver assist features unfortunately. I did like that it had a more conventional blind spot warning. All around there were only a few things I didn’t like about the car.

I had initially considered the Polestar 2 when I was looking to go electric but due to the fact there was no Polestar location in Houston, I ruled it out. I didn’t want to depend on a service center that was 160 miles away! I got my MY in June of 2020. At the time Polestar only had tan leather as an option with the ventilated seats. I really don’t like tan interiors. Ventilated seats and an all-around camera system are two of the main features I wish my MY had but the Polestar 2 still is not quite the equivalent of the MY so I’m not going to be changing anytime soon. My main issue with the MY is the ride, and to be honest, the Polestar 2 with the performance package was basically no different. Houston has horrible, HORRIBLE streets and at times my MY will beat you to death going down them. After driving the Polestar, I’m thinking that since the current BEVs are all very similar in design, large heavy battery pack located low and between the axles, they will all ride about the same on bad roads. In the 2 you could feel every bump, seam, etc. on the road, just like in my MY. I think the vehicles with adjustable suspensions handle this better (MX, MS) but the ones without don’t. I understand that a sportier suspension will not give a smooth luxurious ride and I have to say the Tesla is the best handling car I’ve owned but at times I just wish it was quite so stiff. Even with the 19 inch Gemini wheels, the ride can be rough.

I’ll probably take a look at the Polestar 3 when it comes out just to see what is is like. I think it would be a closer fit to a MY but if it drives and rides like the Polestar 2, it probably doesn’t stand a chance as a replacement. Hopefully by then there will be a Polestar space in Houston so I don’t have to go to Austin. My test drive host said they are going to have one open by next year. So, right now, the Polestar 2 is not what I would consider to replace my MY. With things like the better overall range, Supercharger network, local service and what I would consider the leading edge in self driving capability, Tesla still has the edge. If you are a stickler for fit and finish and like a more conventional car, then I would say you need to look at a Polestar 2. In my opinion it is a more conventional-style full electric car. There are some other cars I would like to test once I can get access to them but for now I think Tesla is still the leader in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to criticize an aspect of the Polestar customer experience, what I read about how service is handled didn't sound too great. Namely actual service is handled by select Volvo dealers (specific ones with training/tooling/etc for the cars), but scheduling and communications are supposed to be through Polestar staff that aren't even at the dealer. You can envision the communication issues that might arise from this arrangement.

On the upside it sounded like you can probably have clearer direct communication with your local dealer if they're cool about it and you're not an a**hole to them. But officially they could be like we're not talking to you directly, go ask Polestar.

Polestar did sound good about actual warranty work approval, even for non-critical fit and finish issues where I feel like Tesla's official stance might be "in spec." Also it sounded like the techs at these chosen dealers were reasonably competent to work on Polestars. Which makes sense since the P2 shares a huge amount of its tech with the Volvo C40 recharge.

@Kandiru That wasn't my experience with Polestar sales at all. The Polestar sales pressure level was identical or even a bit lower than Tesla sales - which is to say, very little to none.

Our experiences may vary of course, especially with different sales locations and staff, but do you actually have any personal experience with Polestar sales or are you just making assumptions and spreading FUD because they're not Tesla?
There was no pressure to buy when I did my test drive. I was given the card for the salesperson when I started the drive if I had any questions afterwards or wanted to proceed with a purchase. Usually I would have expected some sort of follow up call or e-mail but so far all I have received was a survey on how the test drive went. So for the Austin, TX Polestar space, there were no typical sales tactics employed. I consider this a good thing and hope that other manufactures follow similar practices.

Reactions: tm1v2 and doc5339
You mentioned asking the rep where they are manufactured. They are built in Luqiao, China at the Geely factory (they own Volvo now). The Volvo XC40 is manufactured in the same plant, as far as I know but would make sense given they use a lot of the same underpinnings.

Posted this in another thread a while back, but since it's relevant for this thread as well, I'm also posting it here:

Considering the times we currently live in I thought it 'appropriate' to share the following:

Guess who forked up more than 85% of the cash when Geely bought Volvo Cars back in ~2009?

Surreally enough that cash came from various entities of the Chinese Military Dictatorship... Yeah... I know... The very same Chinese Military Dictatorship that still has not condemned Putler's Genocide and Crime against Humanity in Ukraine.

So who is it that really owns Volvo Cars/Polestar?...

I wrote about this in another post some 8 years ago. That post contains links to two articles in one of the most reputable newspapers in Sweden – "Svenska Dagbladet". The articles remained open for all until just recently, but they are now behind paywall. But all the relevant info from the articles can be found in my 8 year old post – and of course translated to English. Link here:

I recently rented a Polestar from Phoenix to Eugene, about 1700 miles. It's nice to drive (particularly compared to the 2007 Prius it replaced), but I would not buy one. My seating position put the windowsill above my shoulder, and the ski-slope center console made me feel like I was sitting in a bucket--much like my husband's Pinto of unlamented memory. Routing worked well enough, but while charging, the main display's showing "time to 100% charge" looked a bit odd when the router said, for example, that I'd be charging to 86% to get to the next stop. The rear hatch took nearly two seconds to open with the fob, and I never got the hang of waving my foot to open it (to be fair, I've never tried that maneuver before with any car).

Last edited:
They are different kinds of cars but I prefer the Polestar. Far better interior quality than my Model 3, I like the design way more, it’s quieter and more comfortable. I also like it being less open to the outside and having more of a cockpit feel with the digital drivers display.

With Tesla opening their network in the EU and other networks being built at a staggering speed Tesla doesn’t really have much of an upper hand with charging.