Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

polestar? serious competition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Important consumer information for a couple of upper middle class sedans 😜
Track times are very important. They expose truths about the cars in question like how the Polestars brakes are slightly better allowing to late brake further than the 3, yet the Polestar understeers and has slow turn-in giving up all its gains from late braking. It also validates the car so there are not glaring weakness,.. I'm surprised I have to explain this and that you can't just accept positive information? And what is this about the cost of the car and upper middle class have to do with anyhting?

Vehicles can totally be exposed for the POS they are. Take the Mach E, which rumor has it that Ford has locked track testing under NDA. However when they pushed it to be validated by the Michigan Police, it had to go thru tack testing. The result... yea you don't care about the result huh?

Track times are very important. They expose truths about the cars in question like how the Polestars brakes are slightly better allowing to late brake further than the 3, yet the Polestar understeers and has slow turn-in giving up all its gains from late braking. It also validates the car so there are not glaring weakness,.. I'm surprised I have to explain this and that you can't just accept positive information? And what is this about the cost of the car and upper middle class have to do with anyhting?

Vehicles can totally be exposed for the POS they are. Take the Mach E, which rumor has it that Ford has locked track testing under NDA. However when they pushed it to be validated by the Michigan Police, it had to go thru tack testing. The result... yea you don't care about the result huh?
The point of my (admittedly snarky) comment was just that there are a lot of features of this class of vehicle that the average driver probably considers more important than track times, particularly when those times are basically the same. But it certainly wasn’t intended to be anything but light-hearted.

The point of my (admittedly snarky) comment was just that there are a lot of features of this class of vehicle that the average driver probably considers more important than track times, particularly when those times are basically the same. But it certainly wasn’t intended to be anything but light-hearted.
I agree, most tv car programs have morphed into race car performance. In all seriousness, if any car was driven by an F1 driver it would go fast. So what? Tell me which car is easier for the dog to jump in or out, which one has the leg room for my wife, the one that won’t do my back in on a long drive. There are a thousand factors way more important than track times

We all have different priorites. Personally, I'll never buy a poor handling car or one that has a hidden flaw. Like for instance the Mach E GT with a 5 sec max power limiter. That was exposed during the Michigan Police test program and the results are horrific.

Fifth Gear is just back on and now they're EV focused with the latest show Recharged. They did a Model 3 LR vs Polestar 2 with Performance Pack in the first EP. I miss watching Vicki and Tiff, and Jason's okay too. But Tiff isn't in the reboot I don't think.

Cliff notes, it's a decent battle but Polestar is over half a second slower on a 47-48 second lap with ex f1 driver Chandhok behind the wheel.
Good review. Except it's comical how torque is mentioned so many times. What's relevant to the customer is the acceleration. Even if someone were interested in the torque, the figures mentioned are meaningless since the reviewer only tells us the motor torque and not the gear ratio, so we have no clue what the resulting wheel torque is.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Good review. Except it's comical how torque is mentioned so many times. What's relevant to the customer is the acceleration. Even if someone were interested in the torque, the figures mentioned are meaningless since the reviewer only tells us the motor torque and not the gear ratio, so we have no clue what the resulting wheel torque is.
It doesn't matter what the gear ratio is either, the acceleration numbers do. The EV doesn't have a two speed tranny and it's not like you're going to re-gear anyways. I suppose Karun is surprised that even though it has more torque it gets hammered in acceleration.

Reactions: Olle
We all have different priorites. Personally, I'll never buy a poor handling car or one that has a hidden flaw. Like for instance the Mach E GT with a 5 sec max power limiter. That was exposed during the Michigan Police test program and the results are horrific.
I like to think that's how I feel, but the Model Y has a fairly serious design flaw (the wheels throw rocks and debris into the door panels) and I still bought it. I PPF'd the whole thing so I can live with that flaw for now.

Cant help but wonder what happens when the warranty runs out.

It's built under the umbrella of Geely, a manufacturer in their own right, by a bunch of Volvo guys using many Volvo parts. Volvo has exploded in both product quality, selection and sales since being acquired by Geely.

I'd worry way more about after-warranty service from Tesla than a Polestar.

Reactions: daktari and KJD
Or it could be the extra roughly 300lbs, lower power delivery... it's probably hard to tell. What we do know is that that's a LR w/o the AB boost. There's a lot left in the Long Range so I suppose underrated is potentially closer to the truth because Tesla is cagey about their hp/tq numbers.
Does it actually have more torque or is the Tesla underrated?
Who knows, but like I wrote, the review mentions the motor torque. Depending on the cars' respective gear ratios, the motor torque is multiplied with an in the review unknown number, a large number. In Model 3 I believe it is somewhere around 10. As smoking man said, what's relevant is acceleration.

Tesla's original goal was to show other car companies that electrics were viable. Slowly, slowly, those other car companies are dragged kicking and screaming into the electric car world, where we'll all have to be in not too many more years or we die of adverse weather due to climate change, and they try to make it sound like it was all their idea in the first place. They are competing with the idea behind Tesla, that electrics are four times more efficient than gas cars, can run on solar (mine does), and have little to no maintenance, one of their main profit centers. It's going to be hard on them, and they will fight, but they will lose eventually.

I saw a P2 yesterday for the first time. It's a beautiful car. If they get some infrastructure in place, could become a serious contender.
It looks like a Celica Supra GT from the 80s. 🤮

Teslas are just too common that’s why X brand looks good.

423DC38E-D323-49AE-AC34-1FC56541CFFE.jpeg
78AB1FEF-2BE4-4CF0-AAF2-9ED8D81B234D.jpeg
2E609418-B1DD-431C-B09B-649E317BC3D3.jpeg
3AB39D16-65E4-47D4-9529-4AA25D008025.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman