Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

polestar? serious competition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really it would be logical to compare the CMA platform vehicles since Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 recharge are designed by the same team built in the same factories from the same components:
The article does not point out that the China built models both have CATL battery packs.
Polestar does have different shareholding, only relevant since Volve just became a public company although still controlled by Geely.

I own an XC40 Recharge and find it adequate for Rio de Janeiro. Frankly I would have bought the Polestar in preference because of body style. However, as my signature shows I will replace mine with a Tesla the moment they become officially sold in Brazil.

The Geely group use of Google Maps may be the best thing about them, once getting beyond the plush interiors and 360 cameras. They do a quite decent job of the BEV functions, and seem to have good BMS too. Had I the choice I would have taken China-built for CATL, mostly.

Reactions: KJD
To me that Celica Supra GT is a good looking car 🤷‍♂️
It was a pretty cool car back then. Then again there were a lot of cool mid 80's cars as there was a ton of variety, plenty of stuff for a middle schooler to drool over. I think The Starion ESI-R had the bulging boxy look nailed down though. The 944 Turbo was the king of the small front engine rear wheel drive group.

The Supra doesn't look anything like the Polestar IRL. The Polestar is much higher with bigger wheels.

It has a lot of design hints from legendary Volvos like the 140 or 240 sedan. With the rear hatch it also has a lot of Saab 900 in it IMO. Definetly a nordic design with interior materials to fit.

But it is more niche than a Tesla/Toyota/VW for certain.

Reactions: tm1v2
I chose a Polestar 2 as my new ride, instead of the Model S I had on order. Part of it was due to the fact that Tesla made me wait an unreasonable amount of time, but the bigger part is that I've read that the new S took room away from the driver, and I'm very tall. Strangely some people complain about the center console on the, but I had no issue finding a comfortable driving position.

@dc2.0 Which option packs did you get?

The Polestar center console didn't get in the way of me feeling comfortable either. I only did normal length test drives though, long trips could be another story of course. Enjoy the new EV!

EV Dave released a video today (1/14/22) in which his buddy Richard drove the Polestar 2. Richard was very complimentary of the P2. At one point he mentioned the P2 was a better vehicle than the Mach E.
If you have questions about the P2 go the Polestar's website it provides information that contradicts some of the statements that have been made about the P2 in this thread.

Posted in these threads:

Perhaps it's 'bad form' to just copy and paste the same text in this thread as well...

But let's just say that I'll think you'll find it 'interesting'...

VOLVO OWNS POLESTAR?
Volvo Cars owns Polestar. And Geely owns Volvo Cars – at least on paper. But where did Geely get the money to buy Volvo Cars?...

You can read more here:

Polestar spun off some time ago and is now a public listed company (PSNY) Yes Volvo is a shareholder but they no longer own it

According to Wikipedia Geely (as in Volvo Cars) own 49.5% of the stock. Do you know who owns the remaining 50.5%? And does all stocks equal the same amount of votes or do some stocks give the owner(s) more votes?

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia Geely (as in Volvo Cars) own 49.5% of the stock. Do you know who owns the remaining 50.5%? And does all stocks equal the same amount of votes or do some stocks give the owner(s) more votes?
I haven’t read through all the filings - but yes there are two classes of stock, one for the pre spac merger holders and the second representing the public offering / spac shares with different voting weights

As far as the other holders - geelys investment arm is the second largest holder and likely accounts for quite a bit of the remainder

I haven’t read through all the filings - but yes there are two classes of stock, one for the pre spac merger holders and the second representing the public offering / spac shares with different voting weights

As far as the other holders - geelys investment arm is the second largest holder and likely accounts for quite a bit of the remainder

So then I might(?) have been wrong about Volvo Cars owning Polestar, but not about Polestar having a 'problematic' owner – as in Geely. And 'problematic' here is putting it mildly IMO...

It’s a public company:
VOLCAR-B.ST has surged 6,25 % to kr74,66. Check it out on Yahoo Finance
Volvo Car AB (publ.) (VOLCAR-B.ST) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

Fwiw I used to work for them. I see tons of them on the street in Sweden, they look pretty good. If I was forced to buy a non Tesla EV, Polestar would be a strong contender. But if you really understand Tesla, they are really miles away with many of the most important features such as supercharger network, autopilot etc.

It’s a public company:
VOLCAR-B.ST has surged 6,25 % to kr74,66. Check it out on Yahoo Finance
Volvo Car AB (publ.) (VOLCAR-B.ST) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

Fwiw I used to work for them. I see tons of them on the street in Sweden, they look pretty good. If I was forced to buy a non Tesla EV, Polestar would be a strong contender. But if you really understand Tesla, they are really miles away with many of the most important features such as supercharger network, autopilot etc.

Believe me – I really, really wish it wasn't so – but Geely still holds a majority stake in Volvo Cars. And the Chinese Military Dictatorship forked up more than 85% of the cash when Geely 'bought' Volvo Cars...

Source for the '>85%-part':