TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Police Call: Child in Trunk

Discussion in 'Model S' started by iKhalid, May 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

I was on my way with the family for a little trip and stopped at Tim Horton's for some coffee. I opened the trunk and gave my son some juice while sitting in the rear facing seats. On my way, I got a phone call from the Ottawa police asking for my location. Some one called the police reporting that I put my kid in the trunk! I asked the officer to google Tesla Model S with rear facing seats. The officer understood the situation and thanked me for the explanation.

I honestly got pissed! Seriously, every time I put my son there, there are people staring at me until they see the seats and laugh about it, but now, it's getting serious...

I'm putting the booster back tonight when I get back.

Anyone faced a similar experience?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There are way too many self-rightous people who are more concerned about what others are doing than what they are doing themselves.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Understand that it was maybe annoying but if your son was being abducted and someone called the police, you'd be so grateful. Two sides to every story.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This. I have the rear seats and have also received some very odd looks. Sometimes it's funny to watch people react when my son opens the hatch from the inside and climbs out.

As annoyed as I would be if someone called the police on me, I'd rather people report suspicious behavior when I child is involved vs turning a blind eye.

Don't stop using your 3rd row seats over this. That would be a bit silly.

5. reddy

reddy Member

Just curious on how the police had your cell phone number.

I assume the concerned citizen had your license plate number. Does Canada have cell phone numbers on file for each license plate ?

6. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

The same applies to them, don't you think so? 1- there are rear facing seats 2- I throw my son in the trunk and I give him juice to enjoy it inside the trunk!

7. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Yes, my plates are easy "FUELLESS". And they could find my number on file.

8. David99

David99 Active Member

I put the kids in the frunk LOL

Instagram

9. patp

patp Member

Same thing happened. My car got circled by 3 police cars last summer. They thought I kidnapped some kids according to some eyewitness. Grrr..

10. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Classic. Apparently, the eyewitness isn't old enough to remember rear-facing third row seats. But you can bet they're feeling proud of themselves!

11. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

What boggles my mind is that these people don't attempt to investigate further before calling the police. If you're going to call the police, at least walk by the car and look at the situation...

Some people just lack common sense.

12. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

I bet they would have if cellphones were not so easily accessible to make a police call.

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

It may not be problem in Canada but in the US police might approach such a situation with guns drawn. It is a serious allegation and shouldn't be made lightly.

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's a good point. Could turn dangerous very quickly.

15. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Are we missing an entire generation of people who never saw those 60's-70's stationwagons with the rear facing seats in the back? Like these?

station-wagon.jpg

16. David99

David99 Active Member

Really a difficult subject. Child abductions are unfortunately a real issue, I see many public announcements here in the LA area about them. At the same time you really don't want to deal with the L.A. police department when they think you have abducted a child and stop you.

17. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

The police in Canada "in general" are friendly from my experience. I've lived in Alberta years ago and now in Ontario and I like them; my phone call with the officer went smoothly and I didn't have to explain myself other than saying a few words. The officer even apologized in case of any inconvenience.

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I must be missing something, but I don't see how putting a kid in a rear facing, 5 point harness kid seat could possibly equate to kidnapping in anyone's mind. Weird.

19. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The reporter probably couldn't see the seats. Side-view.

20. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Probably someone just caught a glimpse from a distance of child being lifted into the back and the trunk closing so it caught their attention. Then they watched the vehicle drive off and it caused more concern given the look of the vehicle and from a distance you couldn't see the kid buckled into a seat. I applaud the person who called the police. There's not much worse for a parent than an abducted child.