Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police surround car while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never heard of that happening before. Seems a bit odd.

As to how to handle it, I would think that if you explained that your car was electric, that you were charging it, and show them the screen display indicating it was charging, that would be sufficient.

So what did you do?

I agree, that's probably sufficient to explain. Superchargers themselves and surrounding signs have Tesla logos, your car has the same logo, you can verbally offer to explain that you're charging your Tesla, and the manufacturer states that these stations are open 24/7 so you are not aware of violating any laws.

That's about as much as you can say. Unfortunately, I'm guessing this was either hypersensitive neighbors or an intentional crank call.

Tesla car plugged into Tesla SC = suspicious activity? Why would they think you were suspicious?
Nice to see them patrolling the SCs as some of them are in sketchy areas.

How did it resolve itself?

Sadly, I used to live in a neighborhood with, let's just say, overly cautious neighbors. Once walking home from school I forgot my keys were in my backpack, and in just a few minutes of digging out my keys a cop showed up saying a neighbor phoned in a burglary at my house.

Sadly, I used to live in a neighborhood with, let's just say, overly cautious neighbors. Once walking home from school I forgot my keys were in my backpack, and in just a few minutes of digging out my keys a cop showed up saying a neighbor phoned in a burglary at my house.

Somewhat understandable to have vigilant neighbors, particularly with a back pack. But a deserted SC at 1am? I would think surrounding a single charging Tesla with 2 cruisers, with officers accusing (not inquiring) seems extreme. Sadly, I suppose police are on high alert these days. I cut them all the slack they need and would simply give them all the answers they need....just as you said Chillaban.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Could it be that the "suspicious activity" they are talking about is not charging itself, but something immediately prior to it? Or possibly some other car with matching description involved in some other nefarious activity, in which case they may question your presence in that area at that time?

So there I was, minding my own business sound asleep adjacent to an SC in suburban Oregon. When all of a sudden, there was this realllllly briiiiiight liiiiight (homeless guy voice from The Terminator).

Setting the stage for a moment, this particular SC is in the far corner of a commercial parking lot in which there are a restaurant or two, and a Starbucks across the way. Not particularly sketchy at all, in the grand scheme of sketchiness.

After charging late one night, I exited the stall and parked on the other side of an 8-foot wide curbed grassy patch with a tree. I could have stayed parked in one of the SC spaces, but given my occasional delicate assertions with regard to ICEing by our own, that wouldn't do. So one space away from the SC I did park, whereupon I decided to get some sleep before beating rush hour traffic through wherever it was that I was headed that week.

Well, that lasted about an hour, when the aforementioned bright light shone upon me. Verily, even. Now as some of you know, when the car goes to sleep, it's asleep. Can't roll down the windows. Haven't tried the fob or pressing the end of the shifter stalk, and given that I was asleep anyway, I didn't remember either of those options anyway. So my option at that point was to slowly open the door. Did I mention I have tinted windows. Fortunately with Photosync, they're lighter at night than during the day, and fortunately, the officer on the other end of the flashlight was not in any great hurry to shoot me.

After she asked for my license and ran it to ensure that I had no wants or warrants (always good to get that done every now and again - else how would you know?), we had a lovely 20-minute conversation about all things EV, Level 2 chargers at the Ikea, and the general area.

Would this have happened if I had been parked in an SC space? Dunno. When I did the same thing at the same SC on the way back, a couple did decide to sleep in an SC space and as far as I know nothing happened to them.

Now that I think about it, there was this one other time - I was in a parking garage adjacent a movie theatre in LA County. Reserved seats are a part of the deal there so I was just killing time in the car before the movie. And up comes a patrol car with the spotlight and 2 officers in the usual positions asking all sorts of questions. I think maybe they were bored or just wanted a closer look. Again, dunno. Maybe it's the tattoos, long hair. and pro-anarchy bumper stickers.

Just be calm, polite, and answer their questions with the minimum amount of info required.

Charging at any time of day shouldn't be considered suspicious, but if this was an unfamiliar location and you drove around slowly trying to find it, maybe driving past the same location a few times then that could have got their attention. In a case like that I'd just tell them you couldn't match the location on the map to the physical location.

Reactions: liuping
I was at the Buffalo, NY supercharge last night at 1 am when 2 police cars surrounded my car and accused me of "suspicious activity". Has this happened to anyone else? How did you handle this?
Are you sure you should use the word "accused" which is judgmental and non-information gathering? Does not sound like typical police investigation, but as others have said, most patrol are on hyper alert. The 24 / 7 nature of charging stations is still new to most including law enforcement. Maybe best to have your insurance, registration and license out on the seat or dash next time you nap. I just might. Oh, and always keep one hand on the steering wheel and informing them as to what your movements will be.

Just 6 years ago four police officers in Lakewood, Washington were shot in a local diner by a career criminal. So Friday I bought lunch for four Seattle Police officers eating in a restaurant in Fall City about 25 miles away. In order to do it correctly, it is always best to just do it without them knowing till the bill is presented. So [sigh] they won't be giving the next MX stop any extra quarter, but that is the way it should be. I hope it made their day better. Below is the incident cited which has troubled law enforcement around here ever since.

On Sunday, November 29, 2009, four Lakewood, Washington police officers were murdered at the former Forza Coffee Co. coffee shop, which was located at 11401 Steele Street South in the Parklandunincorporated area of Pierce County, Washington. One gunman, later identified as Maurice Clemmons, entered the coffee shop, fired at the officers as they sat working on their laptop computers preparing for their shifts, and then fled the scene. After a two-day manhunt that spanned several cities in the Puget Sound region, the gunman was shot and killed by a Seattle Police Department officer in south Seattle after refusing orders to stop.

The shooting is believed to have been a targeted attack against police officers, and came less than a month after the murder of Seattle police officer Timothy Brenton under similar circumstances nearly 40 miles (64 km) to the north. Another shooting involving Pierce County sheriff's deputies occurred three weeks after in Eatonville, on December 21, when two deputies were shot and critically injured (one later died from his injuries) by a man, who was then shot dead. It is believed to be the most deadly attack on law enforcement in the state of Washington, and the deadliest attack on law enforcement in the United States since the March 21, 2009 shootings that left four Oakland, California police officers dead. The four were the first Lakewood police officers to be killed in the line of duty since the department's establishment in 2004.

Although the gunman was killed by police, six other people were charged in connection with the murders. All six are friends and family of Clemmons who aided him in escaping the scene and eluding capture. One was convicted in June 2010 and was sentenced to five years' imprisonment. In December 2010, three of four accused suspects were found guilty of rendering criminal assistance.

They kept asking what brought me to "this area" I told them that I need to charge my car at part of travelling I-90. They could not understand why I had to do it now. I asked them if I was at a gas station, if there would be a difference? They said if it was closed. I then asked him that are the supercharges closed, because they are currently lit and working correctly, with no posed hours of use. When I got there, there was another car charging, but left 5 mins later, so I was alone. I was there less then 10 mins when all this happened. I have used this charger before, so it was not like I was hunting around for it. I tried to explain about electric cars, but they felt that "they did not need to be educated". I did noticed later, that there was a mall security truck in the parking lot behind me (the supercharge is no in the mall, but the parking lots are next to each other separated by a grass strip) so I suspect that he called to cops.

Are you sure you should use the word "accused" which is judgmental and non-information gathering? Does not sound like typical police investigation, but as others have said, most patrol are on hyper alert. The 24 / 7 nature of charging stations is still new to most including law enforcement. Maybe best to have your insurance, registration and license out on the seat or dash next time you nap. I just might. Oh, and always keep one hand on the steering wheel and informing them as to what your movements will be.

Just 6 years ago four police officers in Lakewood, Washington were shot in a local diner by a career criminal. So Friday I bought lunch for four Seattle Police officers eating in a restaurant in Fall City about 25 miles away. In order to do it correctly, it is always best to just do it without them knowing till the bill is presented. So [sigh] they won't be giving the next MX stop any extra quarter, but that is the way it should be. I hope it made their day better. Below is the incident cited which has troubled law enforcement around here ever since.

On Sunday, November 29, 2009, four Lakewood, Washington police officers were murdered at the former Forza Coffee Co. coffee shop, which was located at 11401 Steele Street South in the Parklandunincorporated area of Pierce County, Washington. One gunman, later identified as Maurice Clemmons, entered the coffee shop, fired at the officers as they sat working on their laptop computers preparing for their shifts, and then fled the scene. After a two-day manhunt that spanned several cities in the Puget Sound region, the gunman was shot and killed by a Seattle Police Department officer in south Seattle after refusing orders to stop.

The shooting is believed to have been a targeted attack against police officers, and came less than a month after the murder of Seattle police officer Timothy Brenton under similar circumstances nearly 40 miles (64 km) to the north. Another shooting involving Pierce County sheriff's deputies occurred three weeks after in Eatonville, on December 21, when two deputies were shot and critically injured (one later died from his injuries) by a man, who was then shot dead. It is believed to be the most deadly attack on law enforcement in the state of Washington, and the deadliest attack on law enforcement in the United States since the March 21, 2009 shootings that left four Oakland, California police officers dead. The four were the first Lakewood police officers to be killed in the line of duty since the department's establishment in 2004.

Although the gunman was killed by police, six other people were charged in connection with the murders. All six are friends and family of Clemmons who aided him in escaping the scene and eluding capture. One was convicted in June 2010 and was sentenced to five years' imprisonment. In December 2010, three of four accused suspects were found guilty of rendering criminal assistance.
This hyper alert stuff is bull crap. It seams like it an excuse to harass people. Seattle Police has a bad history of shooting civilians.

Seattle City Council committee members and police officials want to broaden the role of civilians in police-shooting reviews.
The board decides whether the weapon discharge was within policy for the use of deadly force and its conclusion is considered by prosecutors who also review department shootings and by an inquest jury, empaneled by the county executive to review deaths resulting from police force.

Supporters say a more active role for citizen observers would give the public confidence in the reviews.

“This is the ultimate expression of state power, and the police department should be willing — and I think you are — to be wide open about the process that gets followed,” Council public-safety Chairman Tim Burgess told police officials Thursday.

Burgess’ committee met to discuss a report by Rebecca Roe, a local attorney and former prosecutor who serves as the review board’s citizen observer. In her July report — covering shootings in 2008 and 2009 — Roe said the Seattle Police Department’s review-board process was too lenient.

Roe wrote that the board didn’t scrutinize officers’ actions closely enough and didn’t always ask officers outright if they understood department policies. Sometimes, she wrote, the board determined shootings were justified even though significant questions were unanswered.

“The camaraderie surrounding an officer involved in a shooting is understandable,” she wrote. “However, it may erode the oversight function of the” board.

Roe wrote that she had observed a board member apologize to an officer involved in a shooting for “Monday morning quarterbacking.”

Guild President Sgt. Rich O’Neill, who also sits in on everything but the final deliberations of the board, said in an interview that he doesn’t see the reason for Roe’s recommendations.

He and the citizen observer say what they think after seeing the investigator’s report and hearing from witnesses, O’Neill said.

By the time they leave the room, he said, “there’s no question in my mind how they’re going to rule, because they are open in their discussions before we leave the room.”

Still, he said, he would be open to negotiating changes.

The push for more civilian oversight comes days before the Firearms Review Board convenes Oct. 4 to study the fatal shooting of First Nations carver John T. Williams Aug. 30 by a police officer.

The Seattle Police Officer’s Guild says it sees no need for additional civilian oversight of shootings.

Currently, one “citizen observer” attends meetings of the Firearms Review Board, a four-member board made up of high-level police officers that meets every time a police officer fires his or her gun. The observer must leave before the board’s final deliberations into whether a shooting followed police-department policy.

They kept asking what brought me to "this area" I told them that I need to charge my car at part of travelling I-90. They could not understand why I had to do it now. I asked them if I was at a gas station, if there would be a difference? They said if it was closed. I then asked him that are the supercharges closed, because they are currently lit and working correctly, with no posed hours of use. When I got there, there was another car charging, but left 5 mins later, so I was alone. I was there less then 10 mins when all this happened. I have used this charger before, so it was not like I was hunting around for it. I tried to explain about electric cars, but they felt that "they did not need to be educated". I did noticed later, that there was a mall security truck in the parking lot behind me (the supercharge is no in the mall, but the parking lots are next to each other separated by a grass strip) so I suspect that he called to cops.

"I'm at a Tesla supercharger supercharging my Tesla, what's the problem?"