Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police surround car while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just finalized my order yesterday, I took the chance to drive by the Supercharger station in Clarence (aka Buffalo) yesterday. Both cars plugged were from out of town - one Ontario, one Maryland. The plaza where it's located is between a Key Bank and a shopping plaza - Barnes and Noble and some other sprawl-y crap. There's no Clarence PD so it would've been Erie County Sheriff's or State Police officers.

I'm not from Buffalo, but I live here now. I will say it can be... a little "townie" - the Teslas I saw yesterday were the 3rd & 4th I've seen in the 4 years I've lived here. Must've been a slow night, I've never had a negative interaction with LEO around here, but I know the drill - being 6'5, they're generally a little amped up and I like to keep our interactions brief.

how people treat their property should really no concern of yours. you are free to be as anal as you want to be with your car and others are free to transport their children, their pets, put stickers on their cars and so on.
I suppose that american flag decal on my tesla offends you as well. SMH
I thought my comments were open to all- live and let live - I have my quirks, and others have theirs. I do not see "offends" in these observations.
BTW - I drive with a custom (vanity) license plate. It is a Freedom plate - a US flag as the backdrop. I won't quote my plate, but it is respectful. I am alive because of the sacrifices of others. I have battle scars from Viet Nam - and most of my friends did not make it home. Your decal - why would I find that offensive?

Reactions: ernies
If I was charging in a dark parking lot at 1am and a couple of cops showed up, I would feel safer. In fact, I would thank them for checking up on me and offer to buy them a cup of coffee.
I thought my comments were open to all- live and let live - I have my quirks, and others have theirs. I do not see "offends" in these observations.
BTW - I drive with a custom (vanity) license plate. It is a Freedom plate - a US flag as the backdrop. I won't quote my plate, but it is respectful. I am alive because of the sacrifices of others. I have battle scars from Viet Nam - and most of my friends did not make it home. Your decal - why would I find that offensive?

Thanks for your service and sacrifice

Reactions: ernies
I would be thrilled to be surrounded by police while supercharging at 1am. Who wouldn't?
Apparently that's not a universal feeling. I'll just leave a link to a twitter rant on the subject here. Warning, NSFW.
It starts like this, read the rest. Very enlightening.
If you see a cop car & feel safe instead of absolutely terrified like literally being next to a wild bear: how nice for you. So very nice
Helena Bottom-Farter on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
And there is no stinking way I'd let a kid, child or teenager any where near my $100,000
And that's your prerogative.

But I have completely the opposite perspective. I'd rather drive my children in one of the safest cars on the road, but risk them getting it dirty/scratched/etc. And trust me, my kids get the inside dirty. But nothing that a vacuum cleaner and some leather cleaner can't fix.

And that's your prerogative.

But I have completely the opposite perspective. I'd rather drive my children in one of the safest cars on the road, but risk them getting it dirty/scratched/etc. And trust me, my kids get the inside dirty. But nothing that a vacuum cleaner and some leather cleaner can't fix.
Ahhh - spoken like one who HAS kids, and is protective of them as a priority. I am one who was a teenage prankster, has no kids, and fear that there are currently pranksters who would love access to my toys - so my protection is based on different priorities.

Who is right? that is not the focus. You do, I do ...we all have our quirks. Mine is better because it is mine? Don't want to pull on this thread.

I am constantly amazed at the range of personal values. Nobody is wrong, if its their car and life structure, OK. But I would not let anyone smoke in a car. I would not have dogs or other animals roaming. I would not let fast food be eaten inside. I would not put bumper stickers/political opinions or signage of any type. And there is no stinking way I'd let a kid, child or teenager any where near my $100,000 , MY toy.
And there were times when my other cars violated every one of these --which is why they are now my oaths.
And yet, folks buy car seats and dog restraints and put signs on the back glass that brag about whats under the hood. ah, the range of personal values.

I have 3 boys, ages 9,7 & 3, and a girl due 8/31/16.

A few things I've learned having several children:
1) Kids cost a *lot* of money. Food costs more, housing costs more, cars cost a lot more. Insurance costs more, Healthcare costs more. Education, clothing, etc. The only thing that costs less is income tax.
2) Cars/Toys/Possessions are just things. In the end, they don't matter.
3) Time is the only thing in life that you can't get back/replace. (Yes, people/relationships can't be replaced, but I count this under the 'time' category, specifically, time with people).

So, that doesn't mean I don't take care of my car and want it to look good. I had a full xpel wrap done on it when I got it. I know it will be parked in the driveway and the kids will ride their bikes next to it. They will want to help when I am washing it, which means dropping rags in the driveway, picking them back up, and wiping the car with gravel. They will eat in the back seat, and even if I didn't let them, they will get car sick and vomit in the back seat anyway. That's life as a parent. It's not glamorous, and it does cost a lot of money.

I'd be awfully bored without them though.

They will eat in the back seat
Everyone draws a line somewhere. I agree with everything you said, but for the most part I don't let my kids eat in my car. They're old enough where they can wait till the next rest area. Water is acceptable, and since we mostly drink water at home they never ask for juice/soda/etc. Ever try to wash apple sauce out of the headliner? Nope, not as easy as it sounds ;)

Everyone draws a line somewhere. I agree with everything you said, but for the most part I don't let my kids eat in my car. They're old enough where they can wait till the next rest area. Water is acceptable, and since we mostly drink water at home they never ask for juice/soda/etc. Ever try to wash apple sauce out of the headliner? Nope, not as easy as it sounds ;)

Your car, your rules. :)

Like I said, it doesn't stop them from regurgitating already-eaten food all over anyway.

Reactions: Max*
Police have a tough job these days - the possibly newbie mall cop probably did call the cops (look at me, I'm doing something useful!) and the cops are then forced to investigate. No need for an attitude when cops show up though. The first thing I would do when I saw them pull up is say "Can I help you?". Being on their side, rather than taking an adversarial posture helps a lot.

That said, yeah, I do get a bit annoyed at the "being a cop is a really dangerous job". Actually, it is just in the top ten. Here is recent data on a rate basis for deaths per occupation:

• Fishers and related fishing workers, at a rate of 116 deaths per 100,000
  • Logging workers, at a rate of 91 deaths per 100,000
  • Aircraft pilots and flight engineers, at a rate of 71 deaths per 100,000
  • Farmers and ranchers, at a rate of 41 deaths per 100,000
  • Mining machine operators, at a rate of 38 deaths per 100,000
  • Roofers, at a rate of 32 deaths per 100,000
  • Refuse and recyclable material collectors, at a rate of 29 deaths per 100,000
  • Drivers / sales workers and truck drivers, at a rate of 21 deaths per 100,000
  • Industrial machinery repair and installation, at a rate of 20 per 100,000
Just to put a point on it, farmers and ranchers are twice as likely to die on the job than police are.

Finally, the BLM and other protester movement rhetoric about killing cops has got to stop AND municipalities need to work on better training/selection, etc. for cops AND body camera technology needs to be put into place. It would be really nice if community organizers took it upon themselves to recruit local citizens to BECOME cops so they can protect their own neighborhoods, but that is probably asking too much!

• Love
Reactions: AZ Desert Driver