Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police use app to track stolen Tesla, 2 arrested after chase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out the address for the incident on Google Maps. Its a big complex, and some parking spots are near the houses - however they look like assigned parking, not visitor. Would be interesting to know if the car was close enough to the house to pick up on the FOB.

In the interview, the owner states that he noticed his fob missing. He likely either dropped it or left it in the car.

I'd like there to be a way to put a code in that is require to disable remote access. Once thieves figure out that it just takes 2-3 touches on the display this nice feature will be worthless.

This is my concern. The more these types of news stories come out, the more it helps educate the perps. Next perp who tries this: if they have half a brain, they'll go disable remote control and then ride off.

This is something Tesla really needs to fix -- with a PIN code. Let owners set a PIN code to disabling remote control. Sure, make some kind of accomodation for service centers to still be able to disable remote, but do it in such a way that does not reduce security.

We're very quick to say people should not overreact to a single event, it feels somewhat hypocritical to be saying Tesla needs to fix anything based on one incident. With Model S the key to avoiding it being stolen is to keep the fob in your pocket.

- - - Updated - - -

I can envision a scenario where the wife (my wife :cursing:) leaves her purse in the car with her fob while they are visiting inside a friends house.

You can't envisage a man forgetting something? :rolleyes:

I'd like there to be a way to put a code in that is require to disable remote access. Once thieves figure out that it just takes 2-3 touches on the display this nice feature will be worthless.

+1

That was the first thing I thought when I read the title. I'm sure if they disabled it Tesla would work with the police to track it but having remote access enabled and protected would make things much easier and faster.

Next perp who tries this: if they have half a brain, they'll go disable remote control and then ride off.
This is something Tesla really needs to fix -- with a PIN code. Let owners set a PIN code to disabling remote control

They way I interpret your statement "if they have half a brain, they'll go disable remote control and then ride off" you are saying that from the car one do something to prevent the owners smartphone app from being able to connect to the car and thereby find it's location.

I did not know that could be done from the car. I just went through all the screens in my Model S and I do not see any way to do that. Please describe how that can be done from the car because apparently I am missing something that is obvious to you. Thanks.

If that can be done from the car then I certainly agree with you that it needs to be protected by a password or PIN.

I would be apprehensive about admitting leaving my key fob in the car for fear of insurance denying my claim.
So I would take the owners claims with a grain of salt.

Does anyone know whether insurance can deny your claim of theft if that happened?

A lot of people leave their keys by the door. In fact I know people who have hooks by the front door where they deposit their key chains upon entering.

So someone opens the door, grabs keys, steals car. It's happened many times.

We're very quick to say people should not overreact to a single event, it feels somewhat hypocritical to be saying Tesla needs to fix anything based on one incident. With Model S the key to avoiding it being stolen is to keep the fob in your pocket.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't envisage a man forgetting something? :rolleyes:
What's hypocritical about it?

We need this PIN for valets as well; not just thieves.