Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police use app to track stolen Tesla, 2 arrested after chase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like there to be a way to put a code in that is require to disable remote access. Once thieves figure out that it just takes 2-3 touches on the display this nice feature will be worthless.
Yeah, when my car was in for a bumper replacement for about 2 days, I was checking on the car through the app on day 1. On day 2 at some point, they disabled remote access through the touchscreen, which I had to re-enable when I picked up the car. Won't take long for the instructions on how to do that will circulate among car thieves.

Any time I leave my car in someone else's care (valet, detailing, etc) I leave a page up on the web browser that basically says if they do anything crazy I'm calling the police, including disabling mobile access.

If you haven't let ownership know, you should email ownership if you believe a PIN should be added to prevent unauthorized disabling of the remote control access. i forwarded them a copy of this news story -- I really do believe the more these stories get out, the wiser the bad-guys will be in terms of disabling remote access. Geez, to a bad guy this would be like, "it's like disabling LoJack? you're kidding, right?"

Though I assume if an owner of a stolen Model S fired up their iPhone app and discovered it could not talk to the car, they could call Tesla's 800 number and Tesla could find the car and report its GPS to authorities, yes?

Some tricky issues with that. For instance, what happens when I call up Tesla, tell them that I'm BlueTan85, and my car is missing?

They'd say, "Oh, BlueTan85? Authentication code please." And when you weren't able to give it to them, a large metallic cage would suddenly drop around you and you'd be in a world of hurt. :)

(See, only 85kWh owners get the authentication package. 60's, not so much.)

Some tricky issues with that. For instance, what happens when I call up Tesla, tell them that I'm BlueTan85, and my car is missing?
When I called about an issue I had after delivery, they apparently knew who I was and which car to access just by my phone number. I don't remember giving them any identifying information and just went straight into describing the issue. The process might be different in matters of security and especially if using a different phone than what they have on record.

My understanding is that Tesla disables remote access on cars when they are brought in to service centers in order to prevent the owner from randomly beeping the horn or opening the roof or other silly stuff. I can understand their position on this, and I don't advocate removing that from them.

However, I also feel that even if actual control can be disabled, it should not disable tracking without a PIN or password that is set by the user. Meaning, when the car is in for service, you can't beep the horn, but you can still see where it's at. This, I think, is a fair compromise to meet the requirements of being able to easily track it when it is stolen without the thieves being able to disable that tracking, but the service centers can still avoid randomly beeping cars.

My understanding is that Tesla disables remote access on cars when they are brought in to service centers in order to prevent the owner from randomly beeping the horn or opening the roof or other silly stuff. I can understand their position on this, and I don't advocate removing that from them.

However, I also feel that even if actual control can be disabled, it should not disable tracking without a PIN or password that is set by the user. Meaning, when the car is in for service, you can't beep the horn, but you can still see where it's at. This, I think, is a fair compromise to meet the requirements of being able to easily track it when it is stolen without the thieves being able to disable that tracking, but the service centers can still avoid randomly beeping cars.

I agree, excellent idea

Or just have a master (20 digit) code so that the service centers can disable it (or via the maintenance Ethernet port). I believe the SCs started disabling it after someone on THIS forum noticed that a SA took his car home with him overnight.

Or just have a master (20 digit) code so that the service centers can disable it (or via the maintenance Ethernet port). I believe the SCs started disabling it after someone on THIS forum noticed that a SA took his car home with him overnight.

That's an excellent example of why they should have a read-only mode, and the service centers should not be allowed to disable remote access completely. I'm fine with them disabling functionality that allows me to do things to the car, like open the pano roof, but I do want to be able to see the location of my car. They absolutely should not be sending my car home with one of their employees, unless they have my consent.

That's an excellent example of why they should have a read-only mode, and the service centers should not be allowed to disable remote access completely. I'm fine with them disabling functionality that allows me to do things to the car, like open the pano roof, but I do want to be able to see the location of my car. They absolutely should not be sending my car home with one of their employees, unless they have my consent.
Back when there were only a few cars in Austin right after the SC opened, they took my car home because they didn't have enough room to store to overnight and the service center is in a pretty high traffic area. I didn't mind once I knew why, but it was pretty freaked out overnight! Still, I would rather know where it is at all times...it is a weird emotional attachment with this car!