Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polishing the CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to work for a Crown Ltd in Savannah GA and their specialty was hand polished stainless. Looked like a mirror. It occurs to me that someone is going go pay good money for a mirror finish on their truck! The pipes that you see for these pedestals come in as raw stainless and are turned on a lathe to the correct diameter and then polished for 6-8hours by hand. Small personal note... your's truly designed the foot rest's curved faces.
Crown_mariner_blue-flattened-LR-3-Hi-Res-5x8.png

helm-chairs

Does that finish hold up well to outside elements? Dirt mud and road salt.
It holds up very very well... the other finish that was offered was "satin" which was basically buffed with a "green meanie" scotch brite pad. The pores in the metal tend to hold debris and salt resulting in something you have to wash. The mirror polish on the other hand sheds everything. It's so slick. It will get scratched though... you'll see little micro scratches that you wouldn't have noticed on a duller finish.

I don't think making stainless steel bright and shiny is illegal.

I'd agree there's no law against being "shiny", but there are general "hazardous vehicle" statutes that could be applied if the polished effect is onerous.

The stainless tanker above is curved, so the reflected light is diffused. When the sun is reflected from a flat surface, it will only go in one direction, which is great for everyone except the guy that the panel is pointed at.

Show us a render
sadly my photoshop skills are not sufficient to make that render a reality. See if this helps visualize it: there’s a cyber truck, especially clean, no mud or anything on it, sitting on a desert dirt trail with a large mountain in the background. Optionally a scantily clad human identifying as female (or male, depending on your preference, mine is female) leaning against the passenger door. Now imagine there are highly reflective hot rod flames adorning the front fender and frunk perfectly reflecting the sunset off to the side of the frame: How did you do?

Reactions: CyberGus
sadly my photoshop skills are not sufficient to make that render a reality. See if this helps visualize it: there’s a cyber truck, especially clean, no mud or anything on it, sitting on a desert dirt trail with a large mountain in the background. Optionally a scantily clad human identifying as female (or male, depending on your preference, mine is female) leaning against the passenger door. Now imagine there are highly reflective hot rod flames adorning the front fender and frunk perfectly reflecting the sunset off to the side of the frame: How did you do?
Oh, and there should probably be some Texas long horns mounted on the hood!

Reactions: CyberGus