Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politely educating ICErs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20190810_104351.jpg
Hi, Not sure if others are noticing this, but the problem of new chargers going into shopping centres then being ICEd seems to be growing. In some cases it seems very deliberate - eg one guy at Tooronga in Melb parked half in each of the two charging spots the other day and returned just as I was about to take a photo. Claimed he'd just nicked in for milk and it was the only place to park!!. I took down his numberplate and he hasn't done it again... But the problem seems to be worst in places shortly after new chargers go in and then it takes a while for EVs to start using them. Calling shopping centre management etc is a real pain and often seems to have no effect. I'm wondering if anyone has a polite template A4 info sheet with a message about EV spots and asking them not to park there in future that can be put under their wipers? Or the tack I tried with one guy, which was to ask about his Hybrid and how he'd done the conversion... At least he had the decency to then move... And then there are the fossils who claim that it doesn't say they can't park there (not the car in the photo, but in the same spot the week prior!)
... All ideas welcome!
IMG_20190810_104351.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_104351.jpg
    IMG_20190810_104351.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 55
Went past the charging bays at Westfield parramatta today. They had movable signs saying something like ‘please replace this when you have finished charging’. I guess most of the ice drivers can’t be bothered to get out and move so they can park in a spot obviously not intended for them.

Simple but works on the inconvenience factor

4 flat tyres might educate them. lol no, but there is a certain “FU” attitude that some people have to EV charging stations. It’s not like we park in front of petrol pumps.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance !
Most people will not have the concept that it is a place needed to recharge. They will see it like another disabled spot that they can take if they can't find a more convenient space.
Education is necessary. We should not escalate, or we may end up like the US and get people keying our cars or worse.
By being early adopters of EVs we're trying to change the world for the better .. aren't we?

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance !
Most people will not have the concept that it is a place needed to recharge. They will see it like another disabled spot that they can take if they can't find a more convenient space.
Education is necessary. We should not escalate, or we may end up like the US and get people keying our cars or worse.
By being early adopters of EVs we're trying to change the world for the better .. aren't we?

100% agree, but if it is an EV not charging feel free to dismantle like in China ;-)

I was at Westfield Bondi Junction on Thursday morning and the parking level with the EV charging was almost full.
All 4 EV charging bays were empty and ready for a charge.
This is a relatively affluent area and the chargers are often in use by EVs and PHEVs.
The chargers are located adjacent to the travelators into the centre so people walk past them on a regular basis and see the cars charging.
When first installed they were regularly ICEd but in recent months this has dropped off, so there is hope once electric vehicles achieve a certain critical mass that ICEing will diminish and recognition of an EV parking bay increases.
Still it won’t stop everybody including the odd Range Rover and Dimwatt EV owner.

I think leaving a sign on someone's vehicle will lead to trouble.
Parking is local gov responsibility. Just need to have Icer's receiving a warning & / or ticket. That's a language most people understand.

At some point their should be a National ad campaign to inform people as the shift to EV's grows.

I think leaving a sign on someone's vehicle will lead to trouble.
Parking is local gov responsibility. Just need to have Icer's receiving a warning & / or ticket. That's a language most people understand.

At some point their should be a National ad campaign to inform people as the shift to EV's grows.
I have been told by a member of the Queensland constabulary that there is an offense they can book for that simply states "parking in contravention of signage" regardless of who owns the sign. That would be a good start.

I carry with me a Type 2 to Type 2 extension.
If safe and not blocking passing traffic, park in front of the ICEr and use the extension to reach the HPWC.
Leave a note saying "Sorry I parked in front but am on 0% battery - need to charge. Please call me on ..... and I'll move my car."
Then wait for the call and use the conversation to educate .. "how would you feel if i parked in front of the petrol bowser?"

I carry with me a Type 2 to Type 2 extension.
If safe and not blocking passing traffic, park in front of the ICEr and use the extension to reach the HPWC.
Leave a note saying "Sorry I parked in front but am on 0% battery - need to charge. Please call me on ..... and I'll move my car."
Then wait for the call and use the conversation to educate .. "how would you feel if i parked in front of the petrol bowser?"
I didn't know a Type2/Type2 cable could extend an HPWC! That's great to know. I've been caught a few times arriving late at a motel with the DC iced.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and rioli33