Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said previously in another post about this same thing, when the suspects are caught typically they are cite released. Non-violent crime nearly goes unpunished in the state. Unfortunately, drug use and property crimes fall under the non-violent crimes category. Drug use fuels a large percentage of property crime (not all). This is why we see all car makes broken into, not just Tesla's. It is extremely rare for car break-ins to be solved as well. We are seeing these crimes happen all over the Bay Area.

As I said previously in another post about this same thing, when the suspects are caught typically they are cite released. Non-violent crime nearly goes unpunished in the state. Unfortunately, drug use and property crimes fall under the non-violent crimes category. Drug use fuels a large percentage of property crime (not all). This is why we see all car makes broken into, not just Tesla's. It is extremely rare for car break-ins to be solved as well. We are seeing these crimes happen all over the Bay Area.

the right-wing campaign to repeal the gas tax would have been better served trying to repeal prop 47, IMO. that would have a better chance of passing with bipartisan support.

the right-wing campaign to repeal the gas tax would have been better served trying to repeal prop 47, IMO. that would have a better chance of passing with bipartisan support.
You mean the "Eliminates certain road repair and transportation funding" misleading prop 6? its ashamed that more voters tend to vote from what they watch on tv commercials and facebook "news" instead of educating themselves on the issues and what they really mean as these measures are most often worded to "Trick" the uninformed voter

And
The Prop. 6 fight figures to be well-funded. The Democratic governor, who has no office to run for and a reported $14 million in his campaign account, has vowed to fight any gas tax repeal, and other Prop. 6 opponents
In all, spending for and against Prop. 6 could reach $75 million, according to published reports.

Last edited:
I'm actually very surprised by all the Californian's who appear to be bothered by this (not one in support message yet). I incorrectly assumed most were accepting of this behavior and that is why they voted for the people in charge of these decisions. It seems odd that politicians would do something that a seemingly majority of people do not approve of and expect to stay in their position. It's probably more complicated. This is a serious comment.

There exists a tremendous disconnect between voting (on propositions, officials, etc.) and understanding how the criminal justice system works. Unless people have personal experience with it, most don't even understand how something goes from crime to law enforcement to prosecution to jury.

And as much as San Franciscans dislike the crime in their neighborhoods (we really, really do), we have a difficult time handing down the verdict when faced with a face and a story, etc. The hearts bleed, the root causes of mental health, drug addiction, socioeconomic inequality become an excuse, and some need 100% (not 99.9%) that they've got the right person. Not to mention you'll never get on a jury in a matter that you care deeply about or has personally affected you. The system is designed to prevent that.

And I can guarantee you that a large majority of Tesla owners on this thread, outraged at the rash of auto break-ins, would also be the first ones to be thoroughly inconvenienced and annoyed by having to serve on a jury for several days in a trial about say, a $100 shoplift.

Maybe folks shouldn't vote for officials who are so lax on crime......

... or Propositions. A few years ago, California voters were duped into voting for Prop 47. Since then, there has been a massive increase in small property crimes. Unfortunately the currently elected "officials" seem to have little concern for placing criminals behind bars.

In the case of my Tesla, and all my other cars, I try not to leave so much as an empty styrofoam coffee cup visible in the car. They'd probably steal it 'just because'.

Actually it does. Forget politicians and ask why would folks vote for those propositions?
I believe on 47 it was phrased as saving the sate 150 - 250 million per year.

Which crimes were affected?
The measure required misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:[1][2]
  • Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950
  • Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
  • Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950
  • Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950
  • Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950
  • Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950
  • Personal use of most illegal drugs

What did the measure do?
The initiative:[1][2]

• Classified “non-serious, nonviolent crimes" as misdemeanors instead of felonies unless the defendant has prior convictions for murder, rape, certain sex offenses or certain gun crimes.
  • Permited re-sentencing for those currently serving a prison sentence for any of the offenses that the initiative reduces to misdemeanors. Under Proposition 47, 10,000 inmates were eligible for resentencing, according to Lenore Anderson of Californians for Safety and Justice.[3]
  • Required a review of criminal history and risk assessment of any individuals before re-sentencing to ensure that they do not pose a risk to the public.
  • Created a Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Fund. The fund was set to receive appropriations based on savings accrued by the state during the fiscal year, as compared to the previous fiscal year, due to the initiative’s implementation. Estimates ranged from $150 million to $250 million per year.
  • Distributed funds from the Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Fund as follows: 25 percent to the Department of Education, 10 percent to the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board, and 65 percent to the Board of State and Community Correction.

California Proposition 47, Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative (2014) - Ballotpedia

Not sure this is really affecting the smash and grab problem?

• Informative
Reactions: mspurplepurl
Actually it does. Forget politicians and ask why would folks vote for those propositions?
The idea behind these propositions is that there are more cost-effective ways to reduce crime rates than prison, including prevention, treatment and diversion programs. Part of the money saved due to the reduced prison population is supposed to be used for programs like this. California is not alone in following this approach. Even red states such as Texas have enacted similar reforms.

You mean the "Eliminates certain road repair and transportation funding" misleading prop 6? its ashamed that more voters tend to vote from what they watch on tv commercials and facebook "news" instead of educating themselves on the issues and what they really mean as these measures are most often worded to "Trick" the uninformed voter

And
The Prop. 6 fight figures to be well-funded. The Democratic governor, who has no office to run for and a reported $14 million in his campaign account, has vowed to fight any gas tax repeal, and other Prop. 6 opponents
In all, spending for and against Prop. 6 could reach $75 million, according to published reports.

please, stop. it literally says "2017 tax repeal initiative" in the title.

Elon belongs in the same conversation as Gates and Jobs.

Tesla is only getting stronger from this point forward. My wife and I will be forever proud to say we had a part, we did. We bought a P3D.

The Model 3 will pave the way. Next year we'll see the first Semi's. From there the Y and then the Pickup.

Utility companies will start to install Tesla's batteries:
True cost of SA’s big Tesla battery revealed

Not because they're concerned about the planet, because they're concerned about cost.

Microsoft waited too long to make a browser. Automobile companies made the same mistake. Now, they're seeing it and are scrambling. Tesla has and will continue to disrupt the automobile industry:
Electric Vehicles Will Destabilize the Automotive Industry

Tesla's customers are fiercely loyal, it will be really tough for Big Automobile to get them to switch to their car. Luckily for them, they'll have the Laggards to sell to.

The Model is a huge success and it's just getting started. It was the #1 selling car in America, by revenue:
Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Car In The US (In Revenue) | CleanTechnica

This all done without any advertising. No other company in history has accomplished what Tesla has.

Tesla will also disrupt the ride sharing industry:
Elon Musk says Tesla will 'obviously' take on rivals Uber and Lyft with its own ride-hailing service

Electric cars are lower cost and safer than ICE cars. They're better, faster, cheaper.

With Tesla's $35k car, millions more Americans will see the benefits.

People all around the world, will realize the benefits of what Tesla helped to energize.

Now all we need to do is vote out the party that's doing all they can to block the future from happening. That's blocking the tremendous economic opportunity of electric vehicles, wind and solar, and battery storage.

The Party of Trump supports tariffs that are prompting Elon to build a plant in China that could be here in America. The Net is jobs lost. The Party of Trump is standing in the way of Americans and people everywhere, from realizing cost savings and the associated benefits of electric cars and alternative energy.

The Party of Trump says they're about business, and Americans, they're not. They're about making their donors, big oil and gas, more money. All at the expense of us Americans. Their policies are causing people to die sooner than they should.

It's up to the people, though, to show those who don't see and know what we do. Just the other day I had a conversation with a red neck friend of mine. He owns a construction company. His biggest cost is fuel. When I explained to him the savings he could realize with electric trucks, he was all for it. The reason why he was all for it was because I made the conversation about saving money -- not saving the planet.

It's up to us to stop thinking of those that don't know and see what we do, as less than. It's up to us to frame the conversation in terms that ring true for them.

Last edited:
One more.

I write "The Party of Trump" because they're not Republicans. The Republican Party was once a good party, with sound principles - freedom for all, personal responsibility, low taxes for all. They believed in the separation of church and state.

Democrats forget that it was George W. Bush, who jump started the solar industry with tax cuts in 2006.

Sadly, that party is gone. I long for its return.

Democrats were once the party of the working class, my redneck friend. Years ago, probably with Clinton, they became the party of technocrats.

The Democratic Party is gone too. Gore Vidal defined liberalism as the discussion of all thoughts. Gore is rolling over somewhere. I long for its return as well.

Got to kick The Party of Trump out. Then, hold both parties to their founding principles.

I actually feel that is a put down to Elon.

Jobs was a selfish greedy salesman who only cared for his products. His workers, the world, even his own daughter were treated like trash. None of his products were aimed at improving anything. They were just aimed at consumer culture.

Gates is in Musk’s camp but only AFTER he got married. His wife gave him a conscience. Hos company went right on being “the evil empire” even as he started the Gates Foundation “on the side”.The PC wasn’t about a better world, it was about selling product.

I have read Elon is an absolute jerk...

But I give him a pass because if your mission is to save the planet and you are the only powerful person doing it and you are actually pulling it off...that puts you in league with a very rare class of people that I am not even sure I can name any peers to.

If these guys were super heroes Jobs is the Joker (he doesn’t even credit being Lex Luthor as he was a salesman, not an inventor. He had workers and fired friends like Wozniac that had the actual mad-science skills), Gates is Batman, but Elon is like Superman mixed with Wolverine... ;)

Last edited:

Tesla is only getting stronger from this point forward. My wife and I will be forever proud to say we had a part, we did. We bought a P3D.

The Model 3 will pave the way. Next year we'll see the first Semi's. From there the Y and then the Pickup.

Not because they're concerned about the planet, because they're concerned about cost.

Microsoft waited too long to make a browser. Automobile companies made the same mistake. Now, they're seeing it and are scrambling. Tesla has and will continue to disrupt the automobile industry:

Tesla's customers are fiercely loyal, it will be really tough for Big Automobile to get them to switch to their car. Luckily for them, they'll have the Laggards to sell to.

The Model is a huge success and it's just getting started. It was the #1 selling car in America, by revenue:

This all done without any advertising. No other company in history has accomplished what Tesla has.

Elon Musk says Tesla will 'obviously' take on rivals Uber and Lyft with its own ride-hailing service

Electric cars are lower cost and safer than ICE cars. They're better, faster, cheaper.

People all around the world, will realize the benefits of what Tesla helped to energize.

Now all we need to do is vote out the party that's doing all they can to block the future from happening. That's blocking the tremendous economic opportunity of electric vehicles, wind and solar, and battery storage.

The Party of Trump supports tariffs that are prompting Elon to build a plant in China that could be here in America. The Net is jobs lost. The Party of Trump is standing in the way of Americans and people everywhere, from realizing cost savings and the associated benefits of electric cars and alternative energy.

The Party of Trump says they're about business, and Americans, they're not. They're about making their donors, big oil and gas, more money. All at the expense of us Americans. Their policies are causing people to die sooner than they should.

It's up to the people, though, to show those who don't see and know what we do. Just the other day I had a conversation with a red neck friend of mine. He owns a construction company. His biggest cost is fuel. When I explained to him the savings he could realize with electric trucks, he was all for it. The reason why he was all for it was because I made the conversation about saving money -- not saving the planet.

It's up to us to stop thinking of those that don't know and see what we do, as less than. It's up to us to frame the conversation in terms that ring true for them.
Don’t forget the advantage of a nation-wide charging network. That’s very rarely discussed.

I come here to discuss and learn about Tesla, not read political diatribes. Is there nowhere to escape political discourse? Just saying.

I come here to discuss and learn about Tesla, not read political diatribes. Is there nowhere to escape political discourse? Just saying.
Any prediction on the future of Tesla involves not just on the great products they make, but the political and hate-Tesla environment we are in, egged on by the presstitutes.

If you only want to read about Tesla the company and the their products there is plenty of great information and discussion in this forum.

I actually feel that is a put down to Elon.

Jobs was a selfish greedy salesman who only cared for his products. His workers, the world, even his own daughter were treated like trash. None of his products were aimed at improving anything. They were just aimed at consumer culture.

Gates is in Musk’s camp but only AFTER he got married. His wife gave him a conscience. Hos company went right on being “the evil empire” even as he started the Gates Foundation “on the side”.The PC wasn’t about a better world, it was about selling product.

I have read Elon is an absolute jerk...

But I give him a pass because if your mission is to save the planet and you are the only powerful person doing it and you are actually pulling it off...that puts you in league with a very rare class of people that I am not even sure I can name any peers to.

If these guys were super heroes Jobs is the Joker (he doesn’t even credit being Lex Luthor as he was a salesman, not an inventor. He had workers and fired friends like Wozniac that had the actual mad-science skills), Gates is Batman, but Elon is like Superman mixed with Wolverine... ;)

I never said they were heroes - your words, not mine. I implied their notoriety.

No one ever won an argument on the Internet. But if you really want to get down in the weeds, the heroes (now I'll use your word) in computing are Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan.

Status
Not open for further replies.