Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in a significant metro area in WI I know people who leave keys in their car. We still for now consider crime crime and people get arrested.

The problem in CA and Seattle is that the politicians keep decriminalizing crime encouraging it essentially.
Maybe with the new push to let felons vote from in prison we can get back to jailing criminals since it won't hurt voter turnout........

Here in a significant metro area in WI I know people who leave keys in their car. We still for now consider crime crime and people get arrested.

The problem in CA and Seattle is that the politicians keep decriminalizing crime encouraging it essentially.
Maybe with the new push to let felons vote from in prison we can get back to jailing criminals since it won't hurt voter turnout........

Politicians don’t have the power - the people do.

If the people don’t have the reading comprehension, attention span, and common sense to understand what they’re voting for, whose fault is that?

If people that don’t like their fancy cars broken into think they’re too important or busy to serve on a jury, whose fault is that?

You have to make sure your laws reflect your values as a community/society, and then you have to participate in the process of enforcing those laws by convicting your peers. Everything starts and ends with ordinary citizens. It is common for people today to be utterly and completely disengaged at both ends of this process yet quick to complain when things aren’t to their liking.

Oh, IDK, there is this:

"An important contributor to the German war effort during World War II,[1] Porsche was involved in the production of advanced tanks such as the VK 4501 (P), Tiger I, Tiger II, Elefant, and Panzer VIII Maus, as well as other weapon systems, including the V-1 flying bomb."
Ok, they were major contributors to the worst genocide and crimes against humanity in history, so was VW. If a cold war had not been brewing Germany would not have had the ability to forge metal (true story) after wwii. And in my humble opinion that would have been getting off easy. Any time in the prior duration of human existence the german people would have been wiped from the earth. Thus for them to lead some egregious behavior such as writing off bribes on tax's, cheating on car emissions (that causes death, global warming,etc) to keep employment in germany, preventing enforcement from being conducted, etc, etc. Yeah..I won't be crying if Germany has issues in the car industry. Not until they actually become a good global actor. Right now...hypocrites. And yes, I oversaw many many investigations into german companies in the last 2 decades. Many. American companies have issues...they are different fairly materialistic and more often than not hurt Americans more than others. Don't get me started on Chinese companies.

Ok, they were major contributors to the worst genocide and crimes against humanity in history, so was VW. If a cold war had not been brewing Germany would not have had the ability to forge metal (true story) after wwii. And in my humble opinion that would have been getting off easy. Any time in the prior duration of human existence the german people would have been wiped from the earth. Thus for them to lead some egregious behavior such as writing off bribes on tax's, cheating on car emissions (that causes death, global warming,etc) to keep employment in germany, preventing enforcement from being conducted, etc, etc. Yeah..I won't be crying if Germany has issues in the car industry. Not until they actually become a good global actor. Right now...hypocrites. And yes, I oversaw many many investigations into german companies in the last 2 decades. Many. American companies have issues...they are different fairly materialistic and more often than not hurt Americans more than others. Don't get me started on Chinese companies.

I recommend studying the difference between the terms descriptive and normative.

For the record, I read a book on the history of the atom bomb and its development. If the war in Europe had lasted into 1946, new atomic weapons were headed over Germany. Enough, Harry Truman apparently felt, is enough.

I was just pointing out that Porsche, like Musk, has done a lot more technologically than spending "80 years figuring out how to go around a ring of pavement."

Reactions: nativewolf
I was just pointing out that Porsche, like Musk, has done a lot more technologically than spending "80 years figuring out how to go around a ring of pavement."
Right you are and after WWII the govt pretty much forced the german car companies to just build cars so they probably had no latitude. Since 1990 though the Germans could have done anything and there has been nothing new from Germany, excellent engineering though. Porsche made some amazing cars it is just mind boggling that any company after 2008 did not have a significant exploration of EV. 11 years later and Porsche has a prototype. No charging network. No AI for self driving. This with $4billion a year in profits (fully half of all VW profits). Tesla has barely spent $5-6 billion across all those years to develop and sell 4 vehicles. Porsche supposedly spent $4billion to get this prototype on the road...amazing poor corporate execution. If we look back 30 years from now (assuming I'm not back in the dirt) I think 2018-19 will pretty much be the point that VW collapsed. This guy has some interesting tweets on the subject, I suppose he works for MB, he certainly respects them vs VW. I would ask him his thoughts on BMW but I don't actually post on twitter. His analysis on the Plaid model is very interesting, give it a read.

SoylentBrown (@BrownSoylent) | Twitter

Reactions: Guy V
For the record, I read a book on the history of the atom bomb and its development. If the war in Europe had lasted into 1946, new atomic weapons were headed over Germany. Enough, Harry Truman apparently felt, is enough.
The Treasury dept post war plan for Europe was supported by Roosevelt and is an interesting read, think it was sent out in 43/44. Germany has a huge debt and obligation to the world simply to be a country and breathing. With the engineering expertise it is embarrassing that an American Tech startup has to be the one to force the world auto makers to create a clean and sustainable transportation solution. There is no vision or leadership coming from Porsche or VW and in fact they are the dregs of the auto world from any kind of ethical or sustainable viewpoint. Simply crap. VW will fail but I am not sure the German political system will figure out how to respond. That is really what the profits should have been spent on...figuring out what next.

Conti and most of the other German auto companies have launched self driving computer centers in CA. I expect just more gigantic fail from them because there is no commitment from leadership because there is no vision. German car companies simply exist and they will fall like Kodak...seemingly everywhere and then..gone and everyone so much happier they are gone except for a few odd ducks.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
A lot of cool history with WWII, including Operation Paperclip which if that doesn't happen we lose the war. The Nazi's were a lot more advanced technology wise and the addition of the germen scientists spearheaded by Werner Von Braun, too bad the government officials were basically letting him rot and not use his intelligence with rocketry

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I just had a system installed for a client in San Francisco. When the installer called for a final inspection the Department of Building Inspection revoked the permit ( never before in twenty years working in San Francisco) and said they were retroactively moving to the new code and would not allow the installation of our double power wall system. We are in a 1 hour enclosure garage with no sprinklers. Now we have two dead batteries hanging on the wall that can’t be used. I am hoping one of the rocket scientists at Tesla can do the same magic they do with their cars, Turn our two 13KWH walls into two 9.9KWH walls thus keeping us under the 20 KWH threshold and allowing us to exceed the 30 amp per wall circuit limit. Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions
Great information. I'm not telling you what to do, but this is clearly a win in any court case, once it gets out of mobbed up California. If it can't be appealed to Federal courts, then we need to have a Constitutional Convention, and replace the entire government.

@Chopr147

Help me out here. I can't find an explanation. I like to know how things work. How... how do wind turbines cause cancer?

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 6.49.46 PM.png

What's going on there?

Is it the sound? How? What frequency? Are there other things of a similar frequency we should be worried about? Inquiring minds want to know....

Hey, you're the genius, what are you asking me for?

'Cause you're the one supporting the moron that claims 'windmills' cause cancer. How? I couldn't figure it out. I never claimed to be a genius.

Also... if climate change is a 'Chinese Hoax' but the theory predates the PRC by >50 years... does that mean the Chinese have time travel? OR did the Qing dynasty have the foresight that this would be a major issue but somehow couldn't see the revolution a few decades away?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.