Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holeydonut you need to move out of that liberal state or quit complaining about your rate. I pay 8 cents on tri-county cooperative, some pay 4 cents on the commercial state system.
It is caused by the way your state votes, and California politicians think the rest of the county should follow suit. communism sucks, and they want to lower my standard of living...
I was raised out there, I had nightmares when I was a kid about the Mountains/hills on fire (well sort of, I was saving the cute blonde girl down the street). Weather patterns are cyclical and it don’t help that arsonists are contributing to the problem.

Last edited:
I was on the phone with my wife while driving home from work in my Model S. I passed by a roadside pro-Trump stand and jokingly asked my wife if I should yell something inappropriate (I wouldn’t really do that, even though I don’t like him). She said “No, you don’t need to. You drive a Tesla so they already know how you feel”.
That got me thinking—how true is this? I know liberals are more likely to care about the environment and thus electric cars are attractive to them in that regard, but I feel like Tesla, especially with the M3, has widened its base. So I’m curious—what’s the breakdown here on Democrats vs Republicans?

Why should it matter, ownership has noting to do with political affiliation? Anyone that lumps others in to a political group based on possession of a Tesla, is closed for business in the open mind department.

I'm not saying that there isn't some truth to it, just pointing out that we as a society need to stop assuming and start having civil discourse. There can be common ground on almost anything if we stop screaming and listen to each other. I was once told and it's stuck with me ever since. "God gave you two eyes, two ears and one mouth! Which do you think you were intended to use the most?"

Reactions: Redd2007
Why should it matter, ownership has noting to do with political affiliation? Anyone that lumps others in to a political group based on possession of a Tesla, is closed for business in the open mind department.

I'm not saying that there isn't some truth to it, just pointing out that we as a society need to stop assuming and start having civil discourse. There can be common ground on almost anything if we stop screaming and listen to each other. I was once told and it's stuck with me ever since. "God gave you two eyes, two ears and one mouth! Which do you think you were intended to use the most?"

Among Tesla owners, there are a few metrics in play. You gotta be smart enough to recognize that Tesla owns the EV market and they own ICE cars in a way that a lot of people don't yet realize. EVs are the future. ICE vehicles are not. Among EVs, Teslas are far and away the clear leader. Among vehicles, EVs are superior in so many ways. Paying 40k+ for an EV isn't for the faint-of-heart.

Second, you have to be open-minded to own a Tesla, and by that I just mean open to new ideas which is the literal definition of being 'liberal'.

If one is a die-hard conservative, one would more prone to clinging to tradition in all of its forms; tradition, religious views, cultural norms, ICE vehicles included. There's a personality profile we can ascertain about people who are offended by EVs, deny climate change, ICE EV stalls, and roll coal. They're probably not Leftist vegan atheists and I would bet money on this. They are probably conservative in thought, and most likely theists of some stripe.

Why would left-leaning drivers want a Tesla? They're zero emissions, which dovetails perfectly with left-leaners, moreso as one gets more left, and they get an easy cheer from this demo. They're open to a relatively new concept (EVs) despite the FUD or range anxiety and willing to put their money where their beliefs live. They're smart enough to see the big picture in the long term. The vegan leather dovetails with their diet or doesn't offend them, omnivores or not. They like not disturbing their neighbors whilst coming and going, and solar (for energy storage) reduces carbon footprint and dovetails perfectly with EV ownership. As far as cars go relating to climate-change and carbon footprint, it's hard to be more green than being an EV owner who powers up with solar.

Why would right-leaning drivers want a Tesla? Conservatives tend to favor self-reliance, tradition, autonomy, are more religious (a function of being more traditional and authoritarian), etc. What is more self-reliant than an EV which runs on solar energy you collect yourself via Powerwalls, liberating one from the grid, power-outages, any 'prepper' fears relating to the grid, and finite fossil fuels? I could see why conservatives would love all of this....including some die-hard prepper types.

It's a similar mindset to having your own home-defense in the form of guns. It's self-reliance, because when seconds matter the police are only minutes away. Conservatives should love the idea of self-reliance with the solar to EV ecosystem and all of its advantages and freedoms.

Why would anyone love EVs? They're the future. They're quick AF. Supercar acceleration for luxury car prices. Teslas have amazing styling, are stealth ninja quiet, have functional cargo and towing, and are great in high altitude (EVs don't care about your thin air) and in smoky conditions (EVs don't care about your air quality). That said, preppers would love EVs too and preppers are overwhelmingly conservative.

I see why many groups would love this car, but the metrics of personality which would favor Tesla EVs are probably gonna skew left-leaning (Dem, Leftist, Green) and I'd include Libertarians in the mix too. Also, I'd wager that atheists (or non-believers by any other name) and religiously non-traditional or 'reformed' types are probably over-represented among Tesla owners too.

As an atheist myself, that'd be another fun poll to see. On this spectrum, I'm a slightly left-leaning moderate and find common cause with both the left and the right. So, I'm not too far in either direction and have friends of all persuasions. The trick is to get them all driving Teslas! :D

The vote should have been “Anti-Trump” or “Pro-Trump” instead of political parties, which seem to have changed significantly since 2016.

Yeah. Is Cindy McCain really a Democrat? I'm Pro-Science more than I'm a Pro-Democrat. Trying to predict the weather with a Sharpie should have been the final straw for any remotely rational person.

Reactions: msm859 and Chisale
Why would anyone love EVs? They're the future. They're quick AF. Supercar acceleration for luxury car prices. Teslas have amazing styling, are stealth ninja quiet, have functional cargo and towing, and are great in high altitude (EVs don't care about your thin air) and in smoky conditions (EVs don't care about your air quality). That said, preppers would love EVs too and preppers are overwhelmingly conservative.
Don't disagree with most of your points.There's arguments about how green a EV truly is because of production and disposal issues, but I think that will be sorted out in the near future.
Green to operate? Sure I'm with you on that.
Green to refuel/charge? Better than fossil fuel but in my area our renewable energy just isn't there yet.

I'm fairly conservative and republican at one point, but claim Libertarian now. It's a journey as I find less trust for Government and the a$$wipes we've put there.

My desire for the tesla was based on the operational cost savings since new tax laws prevents me from claiming milage. Well.... thats how I sold it to the wife! ;) Still it's crazy that some employers don't pay milage and we can't claim it as an expense? Really, I wanted the tech and a ridiculously fast unassuming car.

What I quoted above is for me the nuts and bolts of why I did it. Tech, Fast and operational cost. Tesla's are great cars and I look forward to the day I get to replace our Porsche Macan for a Model Y or X. Have a Cyber Truck reservation but I really don't want another large vehicle, I'm past the point in life I want or need a truck and now that I said that I realize I should cancel my reservation. I'd rather have the Roadster anyway, but in todays crazy world I'm not dropping 50K upfront. My car buddies all razzed me for getting an EV, cause you know, it has no soul. I'll let anyone drive it because I get to watch them become believers... the seed of desire has been planted in them.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Status
Not open for further replies.